Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This datacenter doe..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

This datacenter doe..

http://vivithemage.com/zen/index.php?album=blog/bad_datacenter

Wonder's me if the pictures in their website's are real (Other DC's)

Comments

• That's FDCServer's location in Chicago, IL. https://www.fdcservers.net/

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Those IPs point to FDCservers? lol

• https://www.fdcservers.net/eu-remote-hands.php I've never seen that before with a datacenter!

• shovenose said: Those IPs point to FDCservers? lol

These pictures have been brought up in a previous thread, http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/4068/so-i-need-some-help/p2

• C:\Users\Jeffrey>tracert 64.32.19.194

Tracing route to 64.32.19.194 over a maximum of 30 hops

11 32 ms 29 ms 26 ms he-1-7-0-0-cr01.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net
    [68.86.87.221]
    12 59 ms 62 ms 55 ms 68.86.85.165
    13 207 ms 228 ms 188 ms be-10406-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [6
    8.86.84.210]
    14 215 ms 199 ms 200 ms he-0-14-0-1-pe04.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net
    [68.86.87.242]
    15 267 ms 197 ms 171 ms edge.xe1.chicago.il.sharktech.net [208.98.0.33]

Points to a host named, Sharktech, which houses their servers in FDC Servers, as seen here, http://sharktech.net/network-chicago.php

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2014

Maybe OVH could turn the Price a bit down for that Intel Atoms to 5EUR instead 6EUR when we use this:

• It's from 2009. The IP owners may have changed...

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Those are Sharktech/FDC IP's still. And yes, this is still somewhat accurate. Might not be in cardboard anymore, but

http://vivithemage.com/zen/index.php?album=blog/bad_datacenter&image=IMG_2476.jpg

Is an accurate pic of their core network. If the switch on the left hiccups, all customer rack switches lose their uplink. There is not too much redundant there. It's the same setup at their 1500 Champa St Denver location as well

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2014

I now work with the tech who started the cardboard box server setups at FDC (Denver). He said it was just for some dev servers in their lab but management had him do it for client servers also after they saw them in the lab.

Oh the amazing stories he's shared with me about that company (they also don't remove access from Ubersmith for ex-staff). For current clients, next time you open a ticket write down the first letter of each word in their reply for an enjoyable message riddled with obscenities.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Wow! Airconditioned stable temperature fully secured cages!

• @jvnadr They lost the pumps on their chillers in the Denver DC a few years back, and multiple servers were dropping like flies. Took 15 minutes to go from tolerable to Hell. Unable to trip the breaker back on, it was locked up.

Check the threads on WHT, when it gets to cold here in Denver, their servers and routers overheat and they'll have outages for hours until it warms up outside.

• @KuJoe, Their cooling infrastructure in Denver is on the roof. I would imagine they would have glycol/antifreeze in the loops, but if this is the case, it would seem that they don't.

• PwnerPwner Member

@KuJoe said:
    For current clients, next time you open a ticket write down the first letter of each word in their reply for an enjoyable message riddled with obscenities.

Any examples of this? I'd really like to have a good laugh right now.

@cncking2000 said:
    KuJoe, Their cooling infrastructure in Denver is on the roof. I would imagine they would have glycol/antifreeze in the loops, but if this is the case, it would seem that they don't.

My coworker can explain it better why their AC stops working when it's cold out so I'll talk to him tomorrow. I think I remember him mentioning glycol but he also mentioned that the building owner was a very mean drunk so calling him was a last resort sort of thing for the techs on shift.

@Pwner said:
    Any examples of this? I'd really like to have a good laugh right now.

None that I can share, sorry. :(

• Ah, I remember this :) The good old days.

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited July 2014

@KuJoe said: he also mentioned that the building owner was a very mean drunk so calling him was a last resort sort of thing for the techs on shift.

That is why the breaker was tripped on the circulation pumps for over 3 hours back in '09 :) Calling Petr made no difference, he waited until arriving for his shift to get rather upset over the carnage, and was able to sort it out once he came in, according to my reliable information. Only about 50 servers required a re-install, multiple RAM issues, and toasted power supplies.

All issues aside, they are OK for the price. And this last winter?

ROUGH. Im glad they didn't have broken water pipes in the basement.

• Definitely no fire risks there.

• cassacassa Member

@jvnadr said:

That's Hetzner, isn't it?

• cassacassa Member

Look at my server temperature :D

• cassacassa Member

Intredasting, I found this:

Ip lookup:

• W3HostW3Host Member
    edited July 2014

I thought Sharktech's Chicago datacenter was shit until I saw this... It wouldn't surprise me if it was the same datacenter, haha.

I don't even know why they advertise that shit on their website, as if they think that looks appealing. Looks like a load of Pentium desktop PCs from 2005.

• @W3Host said:
    I thought Sharktech's Chicago datacenter was shit until I saw this... It wouldn't surprise me if it was the same datacenter, haha.

I don't even know why they advertise that shit on their website, as if they think that looks appealing. Looks like a load of Pentium desktop PCs from 2005.

It can't be the same datacenter. This datacenter looks nicer than the pictures that OP posted and doesn't use cardboard boxes for the case...

• That doesn't even look like the same datacenter, unless its an updated picture. Nonetheless the original picture is pretty disgusting though lol.

• @jvnadr said:

Is that real? The fan looks Photoshop'd in

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @GreenHostBox said:
    It can't be the same datacenter. This datacenter looks nicer than the pictures that OP posted and doesn't use cardboard boxes for the case...

It's the same DC, Observe the holes in the tiles

Now look at them here again

Maybe Sharktech has their own section in FDC and FDC's one is messy?

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2014

FDC was in a pretty small suite for the amount of servers they had in Chicago 141 W Jackson (CBOT). I visited a while back and can attest to the fans and some disorganization. Although I didn't see any cardboard / duct taped servers. The CBOT building I'm sure was fairly expensive rent and not easily expandable but it did offer reliable power.

The fans weren't that bad. The suite wasn't built like most datacenters so the fans were just to assist in moving hot air from the racks. I never had my servers overheating when I was with them but they are definitely a budget service.

I would think since they opened their second datacenter in Chicago, they would have more organization and less crowding now in 141 W Jackson. I would also assume the 600 Federal building (their enterprise colo) is much more organized.

• vdnetvdnet Member

@W3Host said:

How do they look like Pentium desktops from 2005? Because they are mid-towers? I don't think you can judge a server by it's chassis. I could put a Celeron in a rackmount and an E3 in a mid-tower. I think their cable management looks great for their mid-towers.

The concern I would be bringing up is if they have proper cold aisles. There isn't much spacing and I don't see any where for cold air to get into the systems.

• Old story from 10+ years ago.

Old timers remember this. It's news to the kids.