Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noob question regarding OpenVPN ipv6 (6to6 tunnel?)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Noob question regarding OpenVPN ipv6 (6to6 tunnel?)

007shinobi007shinobi Member
edited July 2014 in Help

So I was wondering about the benefits of using a 6to6 tunnel via OpenVPN. Would we still need to send keepalive packets? I believe the keepalive packets were to keep connections alive to prevent NAT from closing them. But, if I'm correct, I believe IPv6 does not use NAT?

Comments

• Are you using OpenVPN on an IPv6 only network, or you want to use OpenVPN to provide IPv6 support?

We use the keepalives to ensure that the tunnel is healthy, not only to keep NAT ports open.

• 007shinobi007shinobi Member
    edited July 2014

I'm using the OpenVPN on an IPv6 only network on a android smartphone. So, basically I want to reduce the battery drain without the low power state on the android client. Perhaps rather than shutting off keepalives, maybe I can do a higher duration than if I were to do it on an IPv4 network?

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited July 2014

007shinobi said: I'm using the OpenVPN on an IPv6 only network on a android smartphone. So, basically I want to reduce the battery drain without the low power state on the android client.

Ah, you still need the keepalives, or else the server will clean up the connection. You could reduce the amount of keepalives:

keepalive 60 120 > ping every minute, restart the connection after no pings for two minutes (this should be good for most NAT'ed firewalls).

You need to add this to you server config, and push this to the clients.

Could you disable OpenVPN when the screen is off?

• I would make use of the low power feature where openvpn is paused when there is no network or if the screen is off but I don't think there is a way to make it wake up when you receive something like a push notification from an e-mail. Thanks for the help though.