Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flaw Grants Access to 900,000 Servers By Guessing Username A flaw in MySQL and MariaDB - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Flaw Grants Access to 900,000 Servers By Guessing Username A flaw in MySQL and MariaDB

2»

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd - the point is that you simply should avoid compiling it with SSE
    @yomero - if you compile from sources using heavy optimization (such as SSE etc.) then it will be vulnerable

• @gbshouse said: @gsrdgrdghd - the point is that you simply should avoid compiling it with SSE

Yeah i was just pointing out that it is by no means the gcc devs fault, the MySQL devs are completly responsible for this.

@gsrdgrdghd - no, MySQL devs are not responsible. Official vendors provides binary versions which are not vulnerable. If you decide to compile you own version you are responsible.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2012

@gbshouse said: Official vendors provides binary versions which are not vulnerable. If you decide to compile you own version you are responsible.

Then explain me why they are not responsible. They made the mistake in their code to rely on that memcmp only returns a value between -127 and 128.

Edit: To clarify:
    The MySQL code only works correct when memcmp returns a value between -127 and 128. The C/C++ specification clearly states that

Value      Explanation

-----       -----------

less than 0     buffer1 is less than buffer2

equal to 0  buffer1 is equal to buffer2

greater than 0  buffer1 is greater than buffer2

Nowhere does it say that the return value is between -127 and 128. Therefor MySQL is completly responsible for this.

edited June 2012

@gsrdgrdghd - if you compile source code as you should, without any additional optimization, it works as it should and it's not vulnerable. I wrote previously what is the difference with SSE and non-SSE behavior. In source code they are using only the result of memcmp but the SSE magic runs inside it and is almost invisible to source code.
    By the way are you a software developer?

Edit: of course you can use precompiler flags and checks but since they wrote really cross platform app it's hard to do.

edited June 2012

@gbshouse said: if you compile source code as you should, without any additional optimization

Who says i should ocmpile source code without optimization?

@gbshouse said: I wrote previously what is the difference with SSE and non-SSE behavior.

Yes you wrote that the non-SSE version compares one byte each, and the SSE version compares 4 byte at once. That is not a problem as long as memcmp still abides the specification.

Logically the only way this could be the gcc devs fault is if memcmp returned 0 although the values it compares are different. Can we agree on this?

@gbshouse said: By the way are you a software developer?

I am an informatics student.

@gbshouse said: the trick is that when compiling source code with SSE enabled the memcmp instead comparing one byte each time is comparing four bytes each time. It returns the result of subtraction of four-byte vectors. When the result is cast to char the difference in type sizes results with assigning of only last byte :)

The memcmp works correctly and source code is also correct

@gsrdgrdghd said: Who says i should ocmpile source code without optimization?

Use documentation - they have whole set of predefined flags to optimize MySQL

@gsrdgrdghd said: I am an informatics student.

Which specialization?

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited June 2012

@gbshouse said: Official vendors provides binary versions which are not vulnerable.

Yes, and are those the most commonly-used binaries? No, of course not – most people are going to use what's found in their package manager, which will have been compiled by the package management team for the distribution. Saying “Well, our versions are OK” is just CYA bullshit when they know full-well that the majority of people using those builds aren't using them on servers.

• @gbshouse said: Use documentation - they have whole set of predefined flags to optimize MySQL

Can you link me on that?

@gbshouse said: When the result is cast to char the difference in type sizes results with assigning of only last byte :)

Exactly what i've been saying. Its MySQLs fault for just converting that int to a char and therefor cutting off part of it.

@gbshouse said: Which specialization?

We don't have any specialization here, just generic 'Informatics'.

@MrDOS - I partially agree with you but this is common problem with open source software. If you need a support and some bug fix guarantee even for open source you should use official binaries (personally I'm using Percona's repos and builds on all Linux servers). There is a difference between using open source for hobby or learning and using it for business. Users should be educated somehow but instead it's all copy and paste from different blogs, tuts found on Internet.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Can you link me on that?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/source-installation.html

@gsrdgrdghd said: We don't have any specialization here, just generic 'Informatics'.

Weird

• Thanks

Why? Well most of what i do is algorithm designs, complexity theory, numerical theory and cryptography. Coding is only ~10% of my time.

@gsrdgrdghd - on my university we had to choose specialization somewhere in the middle of the second year of studies.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: I am an informatics student.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Well most of what i do is algorithm designs, complexity theory, numerical theory and cryptography.

Around here, that's computer science – “informatics” is the marketspeak evil twin of IT that people who can't cut it in CompSci take when they still want a university-level technology degree.

Thanked by 1klikli
    edited June 2012

Well here (Germany) we don't have anything called CompSci. If you study IT you just study Informatik (i don't know weather CompSci or Informatics is the correct translation). (here is a shitty google translation of the curriculum)

@MrDOS said: evil twin of IT that people who can't cut it in CompSci

Hehe its kinda the same here (50%+ dropout rate) :D

• yomeroyomero Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Why is that fault on gccs or the processor's level? It behaved exactly according to the specification.

True true, my mistake

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MrDOS said: Saying “Well, our versions are OK” is just CYA bullshit when they know full-well that the majority of people using those builds aren't using them on servers.

The software publisher has zero control over which libc you use.