Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please Suggest me a server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please Suggest me a server

mobiboymobiboy Member

I want to make a video converter which converts pc movies into mobile format, me and my 8 other friends will convert movies, so please suggest me best dedicated server specifications like which processor will be suitable, what should be minimum ram, which storage method is preferred like Sata drive or SSD, that will give me best conversion speed, i am new to servers so any help will be appreciated alot :)

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

What video converter were you planning on using?

As its video I would say HDD over SSD as you will get much more space for your $.

Delimiters Dedicated offer is probably best, 4 cores (8HT), 16gb RAM and 500gb for $20/m I believe? @MarkTurner will know more.

• i will mostly use FFMpeg or mencoder, i just want to know which xeon processor are best for encoding, i got an option of Dual Xeon L5420 and Xeon E- 1230v2 but as i dont know much about processors i thought of asking for help here

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited July 2014

FYI the delimiter 5150 has 4 non hyper threading cores, not 8.
    Data shack has a special on dual 5420 for $29.

Dual Xeon 5420 (8 physical cores/8 Threads)
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    2x 250GB SATA Hard Drives
    FREE 100Mbit upgrade
    Any Linux Distribution
    Free DirectAdmin for Linux
    5 Usable IPv4 IP addresses
    /64 IPv6 Address Space
    Unmanaged

$0 Setup / $29 per month (Coupon Code save10)
    $0 Setup / $174 per 6 months (Coupon Code save10)
    $0 Setup / $290 per year (Coupon Code save10)

http://www.datashack.net/cart/?id=173

EDIT:Posted link details

• https://robot.your-server.de/order/market has some nice cheap i7's, might do nicely.

• mobiboymobiboy Member
    edited July 2014

@FrankZ said:
    FYI the delimiter 5150 has 4 non hyper threading cores, not 8. I saw data shack had a special on dual 5420 for $29. Let me see if I can find the link

Is dual xeon 5420 better or core i7 as suggested by linux the fish, i dont have budget problem i can increase my budget if necessary.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited July 2014

IMO the I7 is about twice as fast single threaded as the 5420, but only has two hyper threaded cores. The dual 5420 will take about twice the time per process, but will run 4 times as may processes. So I would think it would depend on the number of simultaneous processes you plan on running. Personally, I would get the I7. If budget is not an issue, you can get a second one if needed.

• @FrankZ - Delimiter's offer has double the RAM, new disk (not two antique 250GBs), Hardware RAID, gigabit network. Even their L5420 offer (see here) has more RAM, 1TB disk, gigabit network, hardware RAID and dedicated KVM

X5150's have HT:

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca lahf_lm dts tpr_shadow

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @mobiboy - i7 is better in my experience for video transcoding than X5150 or L5420.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited July 2014

@MarkTurner - 5150 was core duo tech, did not have HT.
    from intel Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology ‡ No
    http://ark.intel.com/products/27218/Intel-Xeon-Processor-5150-(4M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB)

• @FrankZ said:
    IMO the I7 is about twice as fast single threaded as the 5420, but only has two hyper threaded cores. The dual 5420 will take about twice the time per process, but will run 4 times as may processes. So I would think it would depend on the number of simultaneous processes you plan on running. Personally, I would get the I7. If budget is not an issue, you can get a second one if needed.

Thanks for the info bro and i am planning to run atleast 12 conversions at a time so i guess core i7 wont be enough right?? what about Xeon E series processor arent they good for encoding?? if they are than can u specify which are best, i have few options i will tell u here u suggest which will be best:
    Dual Xeon L5420
    Dual Xeon L5520
    Core i7
    E 1230v2
    E 1270v2
    AMD Opteron

Also tell for 12 conversions at a time how much ram should be enough.

• @FrankZ - I saw the Intel spec - you are totally right. I always thought 5150 had HT. But see this

dmidecode -t processor | grep HTT
    HTT (Multi-threading)
    HTT (Multi-threading)

and also the ht flag in the cpuflags.

Bizarre

• @mobiboy - right now I am using an E3-1230 for this. i7 will do the job faster than an L5420 irrespective of threads. Remember threads are not cores.

• @MarkTurner said:
    mobiboy - right now I am using an E3-1230 for this. i7 will do the job faster than an L5420 irrespective of threads. Remember threads are not cores.

Thanks mark bro for info but will i7 be able to handle multiple conversions at a time like dual xeon, coz i have to run more than 10conversions every time so suggest me a dedicated specs that will be best for me with respect to conversion speed and cpu load.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited July 2014

OP, I've never tried running 12 conversions at a time. I would expect dual E5-1620's would be similar to dual i7's, which you can't get. I would also expect SSD drives would help keep the load down. @MarkTurner seems to be the expert on this so I will back out of this thread now and leave it to him and others.

• @FrankZ - this is not my area of expertise

@mobiboy - We do transcode all our surveillance footage for archiving and in the end we settled on E3-1230's for this. They were cheap and readily available at each site.

I have done some transcoding about 12 months ago, in fact I used an i7 at Hetzner for exactly that. i7 works and definitely appears to be faster than L5420 for my application.

If you want to do 10 at once, then you have a play off - more threads vs more performance. Remembering that threads are not cores, I dont think you'll get that much better performance. It depends on which application you use.

I would personally go with E3-1230 - I see those units transcoding 10-15 separate streams in realtime and not choking up. Obviously it depends on codec but you understand my point.

Thanked by 1ztec
  • W3HostW3Host Member

We can help you with this, especially if you are not looking to spend much money on this project. Contact us at http://w3-host.com/submitticket.php and a member of the sales team will assist you from there.

• DylanDylan Member

@MarkTurner said:
    and also the ht flag in the cpuflags.

All the Core 2 processors report the ht flag, for some reason.