Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hate to bring it up but...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hate to bring it up but...

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What ever happened to Derek starting the VPS hosting up with the servers her won from colo crossing?

please don't turn this is to a shit storm, just crossed my mind.

Ant.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey

Comments

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited July 2014

haha I forgot about this whole thing..

• Main site on 192.168.1.100, buys his own VPS's :)

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yeah, I just find it hard to believe why 2 winners have failed in a row?

Honestly, 100% not having a dig at anyone, just curious, Derek always seemed very eager to get going with all sorts of things.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AnthonySmith said: Yeah, I just find it hard to believe why 2 winners have failed in a row?

Maybe got threatened by Spamhaus? =P

• MrXMrX Member

It's almost like it's a fundamentally bad idea to let a prize of a competition be to become a hosting company.

Thanked by 2Nickk Wintereise
  • MrX said: It's almost like it's a fundamentally bad idea to let a prize of a competition be to become a hosting company.

You wouldn't say that if the servers are from SoftLayer etc :)

• LeeLee Veteran

It's really no surprise, both competitions were so badly setup, the right questions were not asked and there was not enough digging into the applicants.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @concerto49 said:
    You wouldn't say that if the servers are from SoftLayer etc :)

It's a fundamentally bad idea, doesn't matter who provides the hardware.

• linuxthefish said: Main site on 192.168.1.100, buys his own VPS's :)

How'd you find my printer?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Is he even still around?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    What ever happened to Derek starting the VPS hosting up with the servers her won from colo crossing?

He realized we don't need more summer hosts?

• PwnerPwner Member

@SkylarM said:
    He realized we don't need more summer hosts?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

he offered test accounts earlier. i forgot to use mine

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Was he the one who kept saying "look, I'll do it when I am ready"? Or was that the previous guy...

• NickkNickk Member

MrX said: It's almost like it's a fundamentally bad idea to let a prize of a competition be to become a hosting company.

Yep. I'm sure people like the allure of having servers and a lot of the start up costs negated and plan some business out. But really.. anyone who was actually serious about getting into hosting would just fork out the few hundred dollars and not rely on some competition to get started.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

"Write us a business plan, we'll promise you a server"

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Ha! I am making more progress than him :/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

jcaleb said: he offered test accounts earlier. i forgot to use mine

Well he's still waiting for you to use it. The whole thing is basically on hold just because of you.

j/k

Seriously speaking though, maybe it's to the better that he chose not to jump into this.
    And perhaps the concept of such contests is not the best idea in the first place.

Thanked by 3Scion jcaleb Nekki
  • tehdantehdan Member

He probably made a better profit mining digital currency on the box that his business plan would ever have got him...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@rm_ said:
    And perhaps the concept of such contests is not the best idea in the first place.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. A free server for 6 months shouldn't really be the impetus for starting a business.

It was worth a try, but two tries/two fails suggests it's unlikely to lead to a successful host.

• wychwych Member

Maybe for an existing host to add a new location sure, but for a new startup I didn't expect it to take off.

• My kickstarter worked, though. http://deployfalcon.com/

Thanked by 1MartinD
  • Can someone who is familar with the LowEndBox IRC tell me if @mpkossen was an op there before the competition? If he wasn't i have a theory why @Derek won...

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Nekki said: It was worth a try, but two tries/two fails suggests it's unlikely to lead to a successful host.

There must be something... Only cost involved are staff and licences. Now for one node licences will be super cheap, if it is small scale operation one staff member can handle it. For 6 months whatever your pricing is, you will most likely full up node. That is most important period on the start, to sustain loss... they got that covered. I really dont have any idea how it is possible not to launch under that terms

Thanked by 1orak
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Can someone who is familar with the LowEndBox IRC tell me if mpkossen was an op there before the competition? If he wasn't i have a theory why Derek won...

Conspiration time. I am ready! :-)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@serverian said:
    My kickstarter worked, though. http://deployfalcon.com/

Their SSL certificate isn't trusted by chrome on my mobile ;)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2014

Amitz said: Can someone who is familar with the LowEndBox IRC tell me if mpkossen was an op

He was not (as far as i've seen him before), i was (and am) though.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2014

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Can someone who is familar with the LowEndBox IRC tell me if mpkossen was an op there before the competition? If he wasn't i have a theory why Derek won...

As part of the lowendtalk, @Infinity got full control over channel from Freenode staff quite some time ago and gave channel privileges to other LET staffers. Derek didn't have anything with that as he actually lost part of control over channel.
    Derek won because you voted for him. Everything was public anyway and it's not like mpkossen had any other option. Theory failed.

• raindog308 said: Was he the one who kept saying "look, I'll do it when I am ready"? Or was that the previous guy...

Previous guy who likes to bash summer hosts. I air out his old dirty laundry by reminding those that he himself was a summer host handed everything on a silver platter but never could get going.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited July 2014

IMHO what should happen is anyone on this forum who has a worthy project, in proof of concept phase for example, could request nomination for the server/hosting/etc. (I am not talking about a "hosting company" -- we apparently have plenty of those -- but more SaaS or other cool opensource projects .... they do pop up on here occasionally)

That would truly be a "kickstarter" of projects nurtured and supported by the LEB/LET community.

Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to "reward" someone who contributes helpful tutorials/scripts with a server ... maybe to test & write more tutorials :-) (I know this can be accomplished by a VPS; and maybe that should be the prize in some cases)