Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a demand for more OVH VPS hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a demand for more OVH VPS hosting?

Thinking cheap prices. Don't worry - I'm not starting a host!

$4 a month for 1gb ram, somewhere around these prices....

OVH VPS?
  1. OVH VPS?43 votes
    1. Yes - RBX
      25.58%
    2. Yes - GRA
        4.65%
    3. Yes - SBG
        6.98%
    4. No - Piss off!
      62.79%

Comments

• I honestly don't understand why would anyone think using 2 7200rpm drives on RAID1 on a node is a good idea. OVH's servers are useless for serious VPS's if you are not using them in a cluster with vRack.

• @serverian 2 7200rpm drives on a hardware RAID1 may work well in a small node with just 32GB RAM.

• @serverian said:
    I honestly don't understand why would anyone think using 2 7200rpm drives on RAID1 on a node is a good idea. OVH's servers are useless for serious VPS's if you are not using them in a cluster with vRack.

For about 40 - 100 containers it would be ok or still shite? I don't have any 7200 RPM disks at home to test it out, but all the containers will be running a medium use MySQL server and Apache with various configs.

• @infolink said:
    serverian 2 7200rpm drives on a hardware RAID1 may work well in a small node with just 32GB RAM.

No way it'd work well. It'd work somehow but not near to well. Say you put 32 x 1GB VMs on it (you need to put more just to break even, but we are dreaming so it's not important). You have 150 IOPS on that setup. Every VM receives 5 IOPS (Nevermind the fact that SATA doesn't have simultaneous writes). More than 2 people run apt-get upgrade same time and node is doomed with iowait.

• @serverian You don't put 32 KVM VPSes on a node with 32GB RAM.

• @serverian said:
    No way it'd work well. It'd work somehow but not near to well. Say you put 32 x 1GB VMs on it (you need to put more just to break even, but we are dreaming so it's not important). You have 150 IOPS on that setup. Every VM receives 5 IOPS (Nevermind the fact that SATA doesn't have simultaneous writes). More than 2 people run apt-get upgrade same time and node is doomed with iowait.

Thanks. It's a bad idea, topic can be closed if needed!

• @linuxthefish said:
    For about 40 - 100 containers it would be ok or still shite? I don't have any 7200 RPM disks at home to test it out, but all the containers will be running a medium use MySQL server and Apache with various configs.

No. See above.

What you can do is putting them on RAID0 and then putting 2 levels of caching, one SSD and one RAM to make it bearable.

• @infolink said:
    serverian You don't put 32 KVM VPSes on a node with 32GB RAM.

Who said anything about KVM?

Also, you can. KSM does wonders.

• serverian said: KSM does wonders.

That's true, we have sometimes KSM quotes around 10 to 30 GB..

• $1 1GB ram

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited July 2014

@extremez said:
    $1 1GB ram

Look, here's where people go wrong honestly, when you pay $1, the host only gets ~$0,30 which is basicly undo-able, (unless you're a three-letter company inside CC). People have some messed up expectations here.

@serverian with a HG server you can put up to 36 disks in RAID0-60 so that's not the problem, people just have to clear up some budget before they start a (solid) company with OVH.

• wychwych Member

@Floris said:
    People have some messed up expectations here.

Yes they do.

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited July 2014

@Floris said:

OVH doesn't allow you to order more disks for the server. The specifications they provide is final.

• Floris said: @serverian with a HG server you can put up to 36 disks in RAID0-60 so that's not the problem, people just have to clear up some budget before they start a (solid) company with OVH.

Yeah, you can't run a low end host with a HG series.

Dual E5 2650v2
    128GB Memory
    8 x 600GB SAS or (3TB SATA)
    LSI + Cachevault
    €438/month + €200 Setup + €768 Setup for IPs

Say 1GB OpenVZ for $4 (which is a bit above the market of LE now.)

Say you split the setup into 12 months. €518/month cost which is $700/month

You get $3.4 for each transaction. So you need to sell 700/3.4 = 206 VPS to break even.

Yeah, not happening.

• @GreenHostBox said:
    OVH doesn't allow you to order more disks for the server. The specifications they provide is final.

They do on HG series.

• alexhalexh Member

@serverian said:
    They do on HG series.

The BD series don't look too bad. BD-12T is ~$450 a month with 128GB RAM and 6 drives. Not sure about I/O here once again though.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/big-data/

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited July 2014

alexh said: The BD series don't look too bad. BD-12T is ~$450 a month with 128GB RAM and 6 drives. Not sure about I/O here once again though.

Do it simple, buy an EG-128 or whatever with 10G vRack interface and buy a storage server (FS-48T) with 10G interface. So you can share storage (ifs, iscsi,..) between all of your servers and have functions like live migration and co.

This reduce the complete costs for all VMs. Your compute nodes don't require any big storage disks anymore. Disk can share between all nodes up to 1 GB/s per storage node.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited July 2014

@linuxthefish This kind of setup with cheapest server from OVH can work well if you take 2 x 2 TB + 2 x240 GB SSD(for SSD caching). This sort of setup should be enough for upto 50 VMs with low to medium usage. For more advice, you may contact me or @MCHPhil who is the real expert with configuring & optimizing servers with limited disk & raid options that OVH provide.

• @extremez said:
    $1 1GB ram

Why not free?

Thanked by 1Floris