Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ Burst/Swap - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ Burst/Swap

2»

Comments

• dnomdnom Member

@Daniel said: vSwap is artificially slowed down

What does this mean?
    If vSwap is slower than burst then that must be a legit reason to prefer burst.

• CoreyCorey Member

@dnom other than the fact that burst is last generation and vswap is what everything is switching to.

Like I said - how much does it really 'slow down'? Noone knows.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@Corey well I don't use the swap, but my systems act differently with it just being there. Here's the long story: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1997391

This is true with centos or Debian, albeit less extreme, I just prefer ubuntu. I'm not smart enough to know why, but the mere presence of swap alters the function of some applications. In my case, only gained performance. Currently no one has been able to explain my scenario to me, or perhaps the answer is so obvious to some that it doesn't seem worth it. My years in Linux are, in many cases, irrelevant in my OpenVZ tests. It really has a way of humbling you and forcing you to look at things differently. Regardless, for me, vswap is not a marketing term.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@Jarland it speeds it up because the OS stores things that are rarely accessed in SWAP and puts all the things that get accessed all the time in RAM leaving more available ram for things that REALLY need it.

Edit: but after reading your thread I have no clue why that is.

What if there is no swap, only the illusion of it, and ram usage (I'm not referring to cached memory here) drops from 950mb to 250mb? I can make fake swap and achieve this. This "swap" physically cannot be used, so it isn't using it.

• CoreyCorey Member

@jarland how do you know that some of that ram isn't cached stuff?

@Corey Using free -m and reading it as I've always been told to. Often another 200mb or so cached. What this creates for me is an unusual need of 1.5gb ram to run my commonly disliked preference of desktop (Unity 2D) on OVZ. Less extreme numbers with other desktops, but still relative results. Needless to say I'm quite confused by it.

• CoreyCorey Member

@jarland as am I.

• I liked our model when we simply offered guaranteed ram. No burst, no swap just simply guaranteed ram.

768mb Guaranteed RAM
    vs
    512mb Guaranteed + 512mb Swap (1024 Burst)

Which would you prefer!?

• @wrhoton
    On 2.6.18 OVZ: 512mb "Guaranteed" + 1 GB "burst" since the burst ram is the only memory limit that normally is important
    On 2.6.32 OVZ: 768mb memory + 0mb vswap

• CoreyCorey Member

@dmmcintyre3 so you would want 1GB of ram on 2.6.18?

• Burst 1gb, but vswap he would rather more guaranteed ram

• CoreyCorey Member

@wrhoton let's do it wayne :)

• wrhotonwrhoton Member
    edited June 2012

@Corey

/lol nm

Yeah I liked when we gave only guaranteed resources best anyway.