Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mandrill and mx records
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mandrill and mx records

ChalipaChalipa Member

hi,

can any1 guide me a little about mandrill? is it important to change my main domain mx record in order to use their service? they say they do not offer services for incoming emails, so if i point the mx records to them how will i be able to receive emails?

any help is appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

As you read they do not offer standard incoming email service. Their service is supposed to be used for outbound mail only. They do offer a small featured incoming mail service however you can only interact with that email via a REST API. You will not be able to check it like a regular mail service so if that is what you are looking for you should seek an alternative.

• your domain's MX record doesn't matter for it, it's spf and dkim that they need so that the mail servers receiving the email can verify you are who you say you are.

• so is it possible to use their service without pointing the mx records to them? i just want to use it for outgoing emails.

they have "domains" section where i should add my domains and it asks for domain verification which i have done, and "DKIM" and "spf records" so if i add those two in the domain i want i can use their service for sending emails?

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited July 2014

Mandrill has some very clear setup/configuration aids on the site as well as support..

It is for sending outbound mail, of which you need the spf/dkim validation to confirm your domain is sending the email.

From their whatever app you are running, you would configure the SMTP information which is your Mandrill username and API key as password.

• DylanDylan Member

@Chalipa said:
    they have "domains" section where i should add my domains and it asks for domain verification which i have done, and "DKIM" and "spf records" so if i add those two in the domain i want i can use their service for sending emails?

You don't have to add or change any DNS records at all to use Mandrill to send mail. MX records only affect incoming messages.

SPF and DKIM records aren't required, but they're a good idea because they help keep your messages from being marked as spam.