Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GlusterFS-server on 128mb box?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GlusterFS-server on 128mb box?

gehaxeltgehaxelt Member

Hi people,

I'm thinking about to add another small brick (the 80gb ramnode-vps) to my backup-cluster.

Do you have any experience with running glusterfs-server on a 128mb box?

Thanks in advance,
gehaxelt

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2014

Glusterfsd requires a fair bit of memory for what it does. I would doubt it has been optimized or tested in such a low memory environment.

Give it at-least 256mb, preferably 512mb if you plan to have more than probably ten thousand files.

Our nodes (with only a few thousand files) run on 512mb ram (using 60%) without issues.

• Hi,
    alright. Maybe I'm just going to try it out.

The amount of files will be around 100-200 (encrypted tar-archives) so that should be easy to handle.

Afaik Ramnode offeres a refund within the first couple of days.

Thanks,
    gehaxelt

• RaymiiRaymii Member

It runs on 128 MB, although it might crash often. A daemon like supervisord helps to fix that issue.

You can however not do anything else on the vps or you will get oom errors. Been there, done that.

• Hi,
    yeah it seems like you're right.
    I ran the following script on one of my nodes: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pixelb/ps_mem/master/ps_mem.py

13.9 MiB +  99.5 KiB =  14.0 MiB    glusterfsd [deleted]
    16.4 MiB + 310.0 KiB =  16.7 MiB    glusterd
    191.3 MiB +   3.0 MiB = 194.3 MiB   glusterfsd (7)

So you'll at least need about 256mb.

• I think the server side of glusterfs can't be run on openvz (while the client mount side works).

• Hi,
    the serveride can run on openvz if the "fuse"-module is loaded. I don't know why the serverside shouldn't be working then.

As I said above, I'll try it and post the result.

• @gehaxelt said:
    Hi,
    the serveride can run on openvz if the "fuse"-module is loaded. I don't know why the serverside shouldn't be working then.

As I said above, I'll try it and post the result.

Just my experience and the result of my googling. There are other posts about glusterfsd and openvz on this forum too.

But if you get a success I would like to know because I'm interested. So thank you for trying and posting your results.

• 128MB is too small.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@FirstVM_com said:
    128MB is too small.

Can you please stop posting useless comments? The majority of your posts are a few words with no real contribution and it's starting to annoy me and most likely others.

• wychwych Member

@trewq said:

I feel an offer post coming.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @trewq said:

I'm sorry, but that is what I wanna say.

• joshinjoshin Member

You can always test it with a virtual machine on your own hardware with Virtualbox or VMWare Player, or another simple to use desktop virtualization software.

Then you know the size of the VPS you need.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited July 2014

@wych said:
    I feel an offer post coming.

I think he is more like spamming his signature for "SEO" purposes....I remember seeing some SEO sites mentioned before that the more link you have on the internet the better ranking it is (which is obviously false but people seems to buy it).

He has way passed his post count to post an offer.

• wychwych Member

@zhuanyi said:

Its not exactly false but a little more complicated than what he is doing.

• @joshin said:
    You can always test it with a virtual machine on your own hardware with Virtualbox or VMWare Player, or another simple to use desktop virtualization software.

Then you know the size of the VPS you need.

Hi, excellent idea!
    I'm not sure how I could have missed it.

Going to install openvz in a virtual machine and then create several 128mb glusterfs-openvzs.

• gehaxeltgehaxelt Member
    edited July 2014

Okay, here's an update:

• The default glusterfs-installation uses xattr in the trusted.*-namespace, but usually openvz containers ship without the CAP_SYS_ADMIN option.

One option could be to patch the sourcecode to use the user.*-namespace before compiling it:

find . -regex '.*/[^/]*\.[ch]' -exec sed -i 's/"trusted\./"user./g' {} + \
        && ./configure && make

I'm going to test that now.

Update:
    So I compiled the newest release (3.5.1) from source applying the above listed "patch" and it works fine. At least I haven't noticed any errors. @a_chris

However, I still need to figure out if 128mb RAM is enough. Regarding to the GlusterFS documentation it should not be a problem: http://gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/High_Memory_Usage