Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MacOSX custom ISO installation on cloud servers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MacOSX custom ISO installation on cloud servers?

2»

Comments

• RaymiiRaymii Member

Raymii said: On OS X, it would be against apple's terms, but there are vmware and virtualbox images floating around in torrent sites. You can also check out tonyx86 mac and iatakos.

@IceCream said:
    I'm surprised no one mentioned that it's against ToS to run OS X on anything other than apple hardware

Or you just did not read the thread well enough.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited July 2014

I use VMware Fusion frequently on an ordinary iMac running OS X. Here are few notes that may help:

• Apple's OS X license is specific about which OS X guests are allowed: 10.5 Leopard Server (not client), 10.6 Snow Leopard Server (not client). Also for client and server versions: 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion, and 10.9 Mavericks. I always wondered whether Apple is merely enforcing some kind of licensing restrictions that were imposed on them for the Rosetta PowerPC emulator that came with 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard. Only Apple knows for sure.

• VMware Fusion tests for prohibited guest OSs (such as 10.5 Leopard Client) and won't run them. The only exception was VMware Fusion 10.4, which trusted the user (oops!) to respond to a prompt regarding the client/server type being installed. They quickly fixed the issue in an update. VMware Fusion version 4.0.1 refused to run OS X guests that violated Apple's license, even if they were created in VMware 4.0. My opinion is that the "trust the user" model violated an agreement with Apple.

• There are ways to trick VMware Fusion into running prohibited versions of OS X guests. It isn't worth it, in my opinion.

• You can buy OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server from Apple for $20 via phone order. I wouldn't wait too long - I am surprised that Apple still makes it available. It is a true bargain - 10.6 is rock solid, fast, and is the last version of the OS that will let you run PowerPC-only applications.

• VirtualBox does not test for OS X guest version license compliance.

Questions:

Does anyone know whether OS X guests created under VMware Fusion will run on Windows or Linux versions of VMware? (In other words, do they detect the guest OS and prevent execution?)

We used to swap Linux virtual machines (guests) between Mac, Windows, and Linux versions of VMware at a previous employer, but I never tested with an OS X guest.

What if the OS X guests are created in VirtualBox on the Mac? Will they run under VirtualBox under Windows or Linux?

Another way to look at it is to ask whether the guest OS detects the hardware of the host operating system to determine whether it can run, or is all the hardware virtualized in the VM file?