Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best email hosting software & where do you need to apply to have your ip 'whitelisted'?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best email hosting software & where do you need to apply to have your ip 'whitelisted'?

With outlook's free emails basically gone at this point, I'm thinking about hosting my own email. I already have a vps host in mind but I need suggestions on what software to use, and if I need to apply to have the ip whitelisted anywhere so that all of my emails go through.

Comments

• said: if I need to apply to have the ip whitelisted anywhere so that all of my emails go through.

Nowhere when your IP address is clean and not blacklisted.

Check it on http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx , if it is listed somewhere check the entry for it on the DNSBL service and request it to be removed.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Void_Whisperer said:
    With outlook's free emails basically gone at this point, I'm thinking about hosting my own email. I already have a vps host in mind but I need suggestions on what software to use, and if I need to apply to have the ip whitelisted anywhere so that all of my emails go through.

Software:
    iRedmail
    Postfix+PostfixAdmin+Dovecot
    Axigen
    Zimbra (min 2G ram)

I would reccomend getting an email host such as mxroute as managing your own email can be a PITA

Thanked by 2FrankZ linuxthefish
  • @StellaEV said:
    I would reccomend getting an email host such as mxroute as managing your own email can be a PITA

My issue with things like MXRoute is that I feel like I'm overpaying for the email hosting when I could be paying less or hosting it myself.

• You think a dollar a year is overpaying?!

• @verloren said:
    You think a dollar a year is overpaying?!

Well, I mean.. My thing here is that I don't like the hardlimit on the amount of accounts, just incase I need email accounts for anything.

• Ok. I went with iRedMail.. and then ran into an issue: I was testing it by sending an email to an outlook.com email, and the message is classified as junk/spam.. Is there any way to fix this? According to the tool I used to test it the SPF/Etc records are all in order and there's no problems with it.

• DylanDylan Member

Are you using DKIM?

• @Dylan said:
    Are you using DKIM?

Yep. As I said, no detected problems with the email stuff from mxtoolbox.

• Maybe it's because the IP still new, I'm having the same problem with Hotmail for using my new vps as mail server.

Try to white list the email from the Hotmail, wait for several days, and you should had your email sent to the inbox, not to junk anymore.

• outlook/hotmail default policy it seems is to send all "new" senders to spam. Once you tell them the message isn't spam enough times, it should work, as @ErawanArifNugroho said.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

best is use kloxo or vestacp and have AIO setup

• @agentmishra said:
    best is use kloxo or vestacp and have AIO setup

Kloxo needs to die. iRedMail is a decent set up, if you have the memory and want to deal with a semi difficult upgrade path if you want to upgrade to the latest version.

• @CharlesA said:
    Kloxo needs to die. iRedMail is a decent set up, if you have the memory and want to deal with a semi difficult upgrade path if you want to upgrade to the latest version.

Updates are non-frequent enough that it probably won't be too much of an issue.

• Shouldn't be too bad then. At least until something breaks.

• ErawanArifNugroho said: Try to white list the email from the Hotmail, wait for several days, and you should had your email sent to the inbox, not to junk anymore.

If that doesn't work, route your outgoing email via mandrill. As long as you're personally not sending over 12K emails a month it'll be free, and you can almost guarantee your mail will be delivered.

• @ElliotJ said:

Trying to find a tutorial on how to use a mail relay with iRedMail. It's lacking.. lol

• You can configure iRedMail to act as an SMTP relay (I've never done that, sorry!) or you could just reconfigure your email client to send outgoing email via Mandrill, which is most likely the easier option.

• @Void_Whisperer In case you have not found it yet.
    http://mandrill.zendesk.com/entries/23060367

Pretty simple.

• ScionScion Member

I just recently gave up and started migrating some of my email services to Google. Staying off the blacklists, ensuring deliverability and filtering for spam were taking up enough of my time that the time spent managing it cost me more than the $5/mo/user. I still use my old setup (postfix+courier+spamassassin+amavis+razor/pyzor+other stuff) for the majority of my accounts, but moving a couple of the most critical and highest volume domains over has been well worth it so far, and Google does a much better job of filtering spam than my setup ever did.

• Thanks all. Got mandrill doing my outgoing email so now it's not going to spam anymore :)