Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Docker on Xen PV or Xen HVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Docker on Xen PV or Xen HVM?

aglodekaglodek Member

I'm exploring Docker and the potential platform base. I know it runs inside KVM boxes, but not inside OpenVZ boxes. Has anybody got Docker running inside (1) Xen PV or (2) Xen HVM box?

Comments

• cassacassa Member

HVM only

• @cassa said: HVM only

That seems about right. But have you actually successfully installed and ran Docker inside Xen HVM?

• Docker runs fine inside XenPV too. Your provider should support PV-GRUB. (adds a little RAM usage to hold the extra kernel image)

I have it working on both my Prometeus Xen instances.

Thanked by 2aglodek FrankZ
  • @aglodek said:

I have a discourse docker inside xen HVM (inception hosting)

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @vimalware, @StellaEV: sorry for the noob questions, but Docker's documentation is a little limited: am I correct in assuming that, same as with OpenVZ, each container under Docker requires an extra ipv4 address assigned to the box?

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2014

@aglodek : Docker is basically a jail facilitator using LXC or other supported container tech. Extra IPv4 is not necessary.
    Docker comes out of the box with port-to-port mapping options.

This: serversforhackers.com/Getting-started-with-docker/ is one of the better guides that I've seen.

Thanked by 1aglodek