Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail going to junk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail going to junk

n1kkon1kko Member

I have a php mailing list and have set all dkim and SPF records correct and verified mail with http://www.mail-tester.com/ but still get a lot of mails going to junk or spam folders.

Could this be caused by email content?

Comments

• What type of email are you sending? Could just be a new IP or greylisted etc...

For important email I always use mandrillapp.

• n1kkon1kko Member

Sending out stock offers for a wholesale company. The vps is only a few months old so maybe the ip is too new

• n1kkon1kko Member

Is maildrilapp only for mail chimp? Maybe I would be better using mail chimp than own php mailing list

• Mandrillapp can be used with SMTP or their http api and is free for 12k emails a month I think.

• n1kkon1kko Member

Great will look into it. What exactly does it do?

• GallaeahoGallaeaho Member
    edited July 2014

@n1kko said:
    Great will look into it. What exactly does it do?

You basically use their reputable servers to send email (in other words, you configure your software to use an external SMTP server). Their dashboard offers a comprehensive suite of tools so you can understand what percentage of users actually gets your mail, and identify issues so you can correct them immediately. They're free for up to 12,000 emails per month, and they have very flexible plans. Would definitely recommend.

Thanked by 1nexmark
  • @linuxthefish said:
    Mandrillapp can be used with SMTP or their http api and is free for 12k emails a month I think.

You're not supposed to use Mandrill for marketing emails - it's a 'transactional email' service. So things like "Here are your new account details" and "Reset your password" emails.

@n1kko You'd want to use MailChimp - which has a free tier, I think it lets you have 2k subscribers and like 10k-ish emails sent per month.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @linuxthefish said:
    Mandrillapp can be used with SMTP or their http api and is free for 12k emails a month I think.

Mandrill will flag your account, Your reputation will drop then they'll disable SMTP on your account

• @nexmark said:
    Mandrill will flag your account, Your reputation will drop then they'll disable SMTP on your account

Don't send crap then? Never had any issues with small newsletters, although I pay extra for more emails per month.

• n1kkon1kko Member

We have 2500 members on our mailing list and growing daily. Also send out 3 or 4 mail outs per week.

• I'm not sending crap, My reputation is "Excellent", I'm just stating to @n1kko of what would happen if he did.

• n1kkon1kko Member

So mandrill app will not allow this?

• n1kkon1kko Member

Ok signing up for mailchimp it's not a bad price for what I need $30 month to send unlimited mail outs sounds good to me :D

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited July 2014

n1kko said: Sending out stock offers for a wholesale company.

Mass email. Spam. Unless you have proof that everyone on the list opted in.

n1kko said: We have 2500 members on our mailing list and growing daily.

How is it growing? Someone keeps adding email addresses, or people continue to opt in?

If it's a legitimate business mailing list then you have proof that every address on the list subscribed / opted in. If you don't have that proof then it's a spam list. If you think the list is legit but you don't have proof, then you need to start collecting & assembling that proof immediately.

Once you have your evidence of legitimacy, then move your mailings to a commercial provider that specializes in sending bulk commercial mail, such as mailchimp or constant contact. Theres's a free tier for experimentation, but move to the paid tier when you're ready to do business.

Sending mass mail from an unknown VPS will never succeed. If you want inbox-delivery for bulk mailings, pay for a commercial service that specializes in it. And be prepared to show your proof of legitimacy.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • n1kkon1kko Member

All subscribers opt it and can be removed by unsubscribing at any time. This is a real UK limited company with a multi million pound turn over. So need things to be right so will setup with mail chimp

• @n1kko said:
    I have a php mailing list and have set all dkim and SPF records correct and verified mail with http://www.mail-tester.com/ but still get a lot of mails going to junk or spam folders.

Could this be caused by email content?

I know that feeling. Hosting your own mail is really hit-or-miss.

Headers show that everything's correct (SPF, rDNS, DKIM) + IP address is not blacklisted, but my e-mails still end up as spam on most major providers (Outlook, Yahoo, Zoho). I've no fucking idea.

• I had a similar issue with a customer domain/vps. I had to change the sendmail command. Check your application on how it is sending the message.

For example,

echo 'Order Detail' | mail -s Order#1234 [email protected] -- -f [email protected] -F "Sales mydomain”

I recommend Mandrill for transactional emails. It is easy to configure it with PostFix.