Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crissic and SSD VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crissic and SSD VPS

Last I had heard via a ticket, Crissic wasn't offering SSD. After checking their website, they seemed to have decided to start offering it but I haven't heard anything about it yet, and I can't seem to order any yet.

Anyone know what's up?

Thanked by 1Acacy

Comments

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

@SkylarM Ask him directly

Thanked by 1tjmayer
  • SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited July 2014

You caught us! We updated the site this morning with preliminary plans, we're anticipating a short and small testing period with our new SSD nodes later in the week, hopefully with a rollout somewhere thereafter.

Intent is to run these alongside our HDD offering at comparable rates, with different disk values relating to the difference in drives.

This will be a pure SSD offer, no SSD-caching trickery here. As of this moment, current services are NOT eligible to transfer, but we do intend to open to that option at a later date. Likely a client area announcement when we begin offering such.

Page content will change later and so forth, but for now: https://crissic.net/openvz_ssd_vps

Thanked by 2Noerman tjmayer
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@SkylarM - This is sweet. Lots of SSD for the $

• @FrankZ said:
    SkylarM - This is sweet. Lots of SSD for the $

We'll have opening deals on this that are lower than listed rates :) Stay tuned!

Thanked by 2FrankZ ironhide
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2014

@FrankZ said:
    SkylarM - This is sweet. Lots of SSD for the $

You'd be surprised, SSD's are getting a lot cheaper. Example:

Samsung 840 1TB SSD $470

Crucial MX100 512GB SSD $213

+1 @SkylarM Nice packages and value!

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @AlexanderM said:
    +1 SkylarM Nice packages and value!

Hopefully they keep dropping. Would love to see SSD's become more main-stream rather than a "premium" feature in the low end segment.

• Yes the 'consumer grade' SSD's are getting cheaper, but the server class SSD's are still sitting at expensive numbers. SanDisk 800GB SAS SSD drives for enterprise arrays, are still sitting at $2500 a pop. :(

• alexhalexh Member
    edited July 2014

@bpsRobert said:
    Yes the 'consumer grade' SSD's are getting cheaper, but the server class SSD's are still sitting at expensive numbers. SanDisk 800GB SAS SSD drives for enterprise arrays, are still sitting at $2500 a pop. :(

Samsung 840 Pro were basically enterprise-grade, 850 Pro are definitely enterprise grade. I know Crucial M500/M550 hold up quite well in servers, and perform decently in RAID. Even Intel's 3500 drives aren't that expensive now. Anything with a Sandforce controller should definitely be avoided.

• For those interested, we will be doing a limited test period (24-36 hours) starting either late Friday night or Saturday morning, just to make sure everything works as we expect it to.

If anyone wants to spin up a test VM, toss me a PM and we'll add you to our list. We'll send out a temp order link when it's ready to test. We will only accept users that are active in the LET community.

• For those wondering, bit behind schedule but our test setup is ready and we have a few testers. Could use a few more for those interested just toss me a PM :)