Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM+OpenVZ internal IP's any work arounds?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM+OpenVZ internal IP's any work arounds?

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited July 2014 in Help

Hi Folks,

As a fairly recent adopter of OpenVZ myself I may be missing something silly or obvious here, I am a little stumped on how to work with internal IP's with OpenVZ in conjunction with solusvm.

If I just do it manually obviously no problem with that however solusvm (despite it being available in the back end) simply does not work with internal IP's I was just wondering if any hosts have come up with any work arounds they may be willing to share?

I have scripted something to handle it however its not ideal and not scale-able.

Before anyone asks I have asked solusvm, they don't know how to make it work and they have been getting the same request for 4 years so I don't think it will ever be supported directly by them.

Anyway, the only one I have come up with via solusvm it to add internal IP's as externals do not assign them to any node and manually enable the range for the node, assign the IP then remove the assignment from the node but obviously long term that wont work and you cannot leave it pinned to a node or clients will get internal instead of external half the time.

Any providers have any bright ideas I would love to hear how you have worked this out?
(yes moving away from solusvm is a very valid one but I have already considered that) :))

Cheers.

Ant.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Boxode

No can do, sorry.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

No can do, sorry.

Francisco

You mean it is not possible or you don't know how to do this?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@K2Bytes said:

SolusVM doesn't handle it properly on OVZ.

I'm not going to share how to make it work outside of solusvm either ;p

Francisco

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

np virtualizor handles it fine will just switch OVZ over to that.

@K2Bytes said:

Its possible, in fact in terms of what you need to do it is stupidly easy, automation through a panel on the other hand.... apparently not (with solusvm)

• Feathur handles it fine, we use that.

@definedcode said:
    Feathur handles it fine, we use that.

Seems everything but solusvm does haha, I would go for feathur but no Xen support and Justin seems like he is to busy for future work on it.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Seems everything but solusvm does haha, I would go for feathur but no Xen support and Justin seems like he is to busy for future work on it.

It's nice. Yeah I read bad things about SolusVM and for our NAT line we need something that supports internal IPs.

We did have to code our own bits: NAT IPv4 support into the panel, randomising and returning ports when the VPS is terminated. We're working on IPv6 support since it's not currently in the panel (bummer).

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Francisco said: I'm not going to share how to make it work outside of solusvm either ;p

The million dollar recipe :P

• @rsk said:
    The million dollar recipe :P

It's probably nothing special. Can't be that hard without SolusVM bothering you.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@rsk said: The million dollar recipe :P

I'm sure it's the kind of solution that you facepalm yourself when you find it.

• We manually do internal IPs via veth on the host node. Not really the best but solus doesn't support it so not much else you can do.

@SkylarM said:
    We manually do internal IPs via veth on the host node. Not really the best but solus doesn't support it so not much else you can do.

I bet that is a royal PITA on scale though, sure 1 or 2 nodes but 30 - 40 would just wreck my head.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I bet that is a royal PITA on scale though, sure 1 or 2 nodes but 30 - 40 would just wreck my head.

It's not too bad. We apply the commands, stick it in a bootup script in the event of a node crash, and then the customer binds the IP in the container. Could be easier, but could be harder too :P