Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone have experience with wordpress.com DMCA ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone have experience with wordpress.com DMCA ?

Few days ago I found out somebody from wordpress.com copy my website content word by word, I submitted a dmca notice to wordpress.com to remove that page but this is the reply from wordpress.com

Hi there,

Your DMCA Notice has been received and reviewed for completeness.

In accordance with the requirements set forth by the DMCA, we have disabled access to the allegedly infringing material. Please note that we have notified the user who uploaded the material to provide them an opportunity to formally challenge this removal. We will notify you immediately If the user submits a counter-notice.

Thank you,

David W. | Community Guardian | WordPress.com

Even though wordpress.com stated that the "allegedly infringing material" (copied from my website's page word by word), I still can access the copied page and the person who copies from my website has "an opportunity to formally challenge this removal". wtf ...

How to do you guys deal with this situation ? Luckily I found out since the person who copies from my website does not even bother to remove the internal link from the page and jetpack site stats shows his URL as referrer. Is there anyway to check if someone copy website content automatically ?

My content: http://www.namhuy.net/3154/secure-apache-http-web-server.html

his: http://ratnesh.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/how-to-secure-apache-http-web-server/

look at the code tag on my site since I have crayon syntax highlighter installed, he does not have that plugin installed and it shows line number in front of every line, he didn't even remove those line numbers and wordpress.com seems to side with him. what a joke

Comments

• markmark Member

What licence did you release the article under? Your signature says 'open source Linux tutorials'.

I had a script I wrote released under the Creative Commons licence ripped off word-for-word by an active user on LET. The only change was my CC licence text (and my name) was replaced with his copyright. I did comment on the article on his blog but of course never received a reply.

How far do you take it? I could probably get the VPS he's hosting my script on taken offline if I really wanted to go as far as contacting the provider. I could name and shame on here, but I really can't be bothered. It's just sad that some people have to take credit for someone else's work that they posted for free to begin with.

• namhuynamhuy Member

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/ is what I'm using, but I did not expect somebody copy word by word the whole article even the image from wordpress Photon CDN is pulling from my website not his.

• maybe he is your twin btother because its identical

Thanked by 1namhuy
  • DavidxDavidx Member

@mark said:
    What licence did you release the article under? Your signature says 'open source Linux tutorials'.

I had a script I wrote released under the Creative Commons licence ripped off word-for-word by an active user on LET. The only change was my CC licence text (and my name) was replaced with his copyright. I did comment on the article on his blog but of course never received a reply.

How far do you take it? I could probably get the VPS he's hosting my script on taken offline if I really wanted to go as far as contacting the provider. I could name and shame on here, but I really can't be bothered. It's just sad that some people have to take credit for someone else's work that they posted for free to begin with.

Who was it?

• markmark Member

@David_P - in all honesty, when I just checked the website, I'm getting "Error establishing a database connection". So I suppose it's no longer being ripped off!

• DavidxDavidx Member

mark said: So I suppose it's no longer being ripped off!

Haha this is one of the best things I've heard all day!

• markmark Member
    edited July 2014

David_P said: Haha this is one of the best things I've heard all day!

Glad to be of service :-)

But in all honesty, I really can't be bothered to pursue it. I wrote the script for my own personal use, thought someone else might get some use out of it so publicly released it for free. Someone else taking credit for my work is pretty shitty, but also pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. There's much worse to worry about in life.

• BAKABAKA Member

@namhuy said:
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/ is what I'm using, but I did not expect somebody copy word by word the whole article even the image from wordpress Photon CDN is pulling from my website not his.

You can't expect him to change a word, because you use "nd". This license is likely saying: "Please copy it wholly. Don't modify it. No commercial."
    The CC license allows use without prior permission.
    Did he attribute you? If not, the requirement is infringed and he is deprived of all rights in the license.

• namhuynamhuy Member

BAKA said: You can't expect him to change a word, because you use "nd". This license is likely saying: "Please copy it wholly. Don't modify it. No commercial." The CC license allows use without prior permission. Did he attribute you? If not, the requirement is infringed and he is deprived of all rights in the license.

he does not give me proper credit at all.

• BoxodeBoxode Member
    edited July 2014

Have a cry :(

Then send a cease & desist to wordpress to stop providing/hosting the content, attach your DMCA with it too. If the said content is not removed; persue further legal action by means of assassinating the owner of the said blog.

This method has been flawless for me when I want to remove content I think I own.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited July 2014

Why don't you just report the duplicated / copied content to google? They will penalize the website with the copied content, it will no longer serve any SEO purpose and will be useless (or even bad) for the one that copied it.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pw1KVOVRyr4a7ezj_6SHghnX1Y6bp1SOVmy60QjkF0Y/viewform

• Well those blog sites (not just wordpress) is a favorite by SEO people. They do not really create contents for people but rather for search bots specially google. Most of them just copy contents from everywhere and then link stuffs. Probably your copier has the same intentions.

Or also likely he/she just liked your blog article and figure it would be cool to have your content.

• Oops! That page can’t be found.

• namhuynamhuy Member

all his blog's content are gone... seems like wordpress.com did something to his account.