Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Buying Domains...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Buying Domains...

Do you ever buy domains from hosts on LET etc, or always from a well known domain registrar, for example, Namecheap & 123Reg?

Just keen to find out what others do.

Comments

  • wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

    GoDaddy, Namecheap or DomainMonster.

  • Best is to go with a well known registrar. I recommend namecheap. They know what they are doing.

  • r0t3nr0t3n Member

    Don't forget namesilo

  • Never ever buy a domain through your web host. If things go sour they own the domain not you. The last thing you want to happen is build your site with one name for x amount of months/years only to have to start up on a new domain nobody knows because your domain is being held hostage.

  • W3HostW3Host Member

    I was also wondering the same thing. Personally, I won't settle for anything other than Namecheap. I have over 20 domains registered with them and wouldn't move elsewhere regardless. I was thinking of offering domain registration at http://w3-host.net through Namecheap but I don't think many if any people would buy them through us because personally, I don't think I would register through a hosting company unless the deal was exceptional and I was hosting with them.

  • NekkiNekki Member

    As a case in point, a member here (sorry, can't remember who) has got shafted over a domain purchased from a hosting provider; they've gone bust, and now he can't get ownership of the domain back.

  • ReeRee Member

    @AThomasHowe said:
    Never ever buy a domain through your web host. If things go sour they own the domain not you. The last thing you want to happen is build your site with one name for x amount of months/years only to have to start up on a new domain nobody knows because your domain is being held hostage.

    Never heard of this. Are you saying the webhost has the authority/ability to prevent you from transferring your domain to another registrar?

    I could see the above being true if the webhost registered the domain in their name and allowed you to use it for free as an incentive to keep you as a customer (and then gouge you if you decide to leave), but if the domain is registered in your name I can't see how they can be allowed to keep it if you want to transfer it.

  • Ree said: Never heard of this. Are you saying the webhost has the authority/ability to prevent you from transferring your domain to another registrar?

    I could see the above being true if the webhost registered the domain in their name and allowed you to use it for free as an incentive to keep you as a customer (and then gouge you if you decide to leave), but if the domain is registered in your name I can't see how they can be allowed to keep it if you want to transfer it.

    To the domain registries if it's not your contact info in the WHOIS it's not your domain. They can also update the records for the domain should you decide to move to a different host or something.

    It's happened many a time over the past 20 years of web hosting.

  • ReeRee Member

    @AThomasHowe said:
    To the domain registries if it's not your contact info in the WHOIS it's not your domain. They can also update the records for the domain should you decide to move to a different host or something.
    It's happened many a time over the past 20 years of web hosting.

    Yeah like I said if the domain is in the webhost's name it makes sense that they could cause problems. And (in my opinion anyway) it would only ever make sense for that to be the case if the webhost is providing a free domain name.

    So is it really that common for a webhost to take money specifically for the purchase of a domain name (not as part of a package hosting deal where it could be argued the purchase was for hosting and the domain was a free add-on), and then not put the client's information in the WHOIS? Seems like that shouldn't even be legal.

Sign In or Register to comment.