Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean's alternatives with higher storage space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean's alternatives with higher storage space

Hello everyone! I am interested in NL/DE vps alternative for digitalocean. Budget is 40$/month, i need atleast 80gb ssd storage / 2 cpu core / 4gb of ram / 4TB bandwidth.

Comments

• heihachi88heihachi88 Member
    edited July 2014

Thanks, have you tried them? They have delicious prices...

• Another vote for transip.eu +1

• Just found this review: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1273909
    Is their support good?

• What about the SLA? Is it really 99.99% just like DO? Also what can you say about the guy who wrote a bad review about them?

• @amarc said:
    All I can say was already said in above posts. Please purchase 5€ package (50% off first 3 months), use them.. then you will have your own opinion. : )

What plan do you use with them? Can you show me one of your websites? So i can check ping etc :)

• Also what about snapshots? There can be only 1? Can i make snapshot while my VPS is on? How often i can make it? If i want to upgrade my vps plan - can i use my old snapshot and restore it on a new vps?

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited July 2014

http://www.cloudvps.nl/virtual-private-server - XEN
    http://www.cloudvps.nl/openstack - Openstack (allows you to start and stop servers on demand like DO)
    https://www.tilaa.com/
    http://www.xynta.nl/

I find TransIP good for domains, their vps' I've got no experience with.

• lhobaslhobas Member

have been using TransIP for production VPS's for years, very little downtime, good performance - can recommend them. Also have experience with Tilaa, might be a better fit for specific configurations.

• @Ihobas, have you used DigitalOcean? If yes, how would you rate transip against them?

• heihachi88 said: Thanks, did you tried them? They have a delicious prices...

You need a different translator, that statement is painful to read.

• @jnelson3149 said:

Thanks for the notice, but i am not using translator. English is not my native language, so i ask you to be more polite.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@heihachi88 said:
    Thanks for the notice, but i am not using translator. English is not my native language, so i ask you to be more polite.

Unless you are going to eat the VPSes I think @jnelson3149 is correct, not rude.

• wychwych Member

@Raymii said:

Or talking about SugarVPS ;)

Thanked by 2Raymii Brad
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited July 2014

Raymii said: I think @jnelson3149 is correct, not rude.

He's not correct, though. Delicious doesn't only refer to taste. It's also a synonym for "delightful" and therefore this usage of the word is, although uncommon, technically correct (the best kind of correct).

You can nitpick about the rest of the OP's grammar if you need to feel superior but that absolutely would be rude - we all understand exactly what he means.

Thanked by 2Maounique heihachi88
  • jnelson3149jnelson3149 Member
    edited July 2014

First I was not trying to be rude, but the OP mixed past and present, plural and singular, incorrect use of did (should have been Have you) the use of a word that is associated with pleasing the senses to refer to price. I don't think I have ever seen that many grammatical errors in a sentence with so few words. I truly thought he was using a very bad translating program. My apologies to the OP for any offense. It was truly painful to read. My original recommendation still is valid: If English is not your first language, a good translation program is in order.
    Certainly none of us has perfect grammar, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

• @jnelson3149 said:
    First I was not trying to be rude, but the OP mixed past and present, plural and singular, incorrect use of did (should have been Have you) a use of a word that is associated with pleasing the senses to refer to price. I don't think I have ever seen that many grammatical errors in a sentence with so few words. I truly thought he was using a very bad translating program. My apologies to the OP for any offense. It was truly painful to read, my original recommendation still is valid. If English is not your first language, a good translation program is in order.

At least that he is still able to convey his meanings despite the errors as you've mentioned above. Some(or should I say many?) are not able to convey their meaning and ended up being misunderstood instead. Grammatical errors here and there are pretty common tbh for non-English speakers so that's pretty much it.

Last but not least, a translation program doesn't save you from grammatical errors :)

• Yes it was possible to decipher what he meant. I do recall reading, years ago, about a plane crash caused by a misunderstanding between a pilot and controller caused by the pilot not being able to understand the (correct) grammar of the ground controller. I have had American pilots tell me that the grammar of the foreign controllers is so bad, they don't understand the meaning and have to ask the same question multiple times in different ways before they are sure of the answer.
    Anyway, enough on this, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

So, after all the grammar nazi-ing, did @heihachi88 make a choice or find the alternatives worthwhile?

• @Raymii, i will contact with transip.eu then report if they are any good.

• lhobaslhobas Member

@heihachi88 I have used Digital Ocean for some short-term servers. TransIP feels to me like a more classic style provider, less focused on spinning boxes up and down as quickly as at DO (no hourly pricing for example, afaik). I've personally had better experiences with server performance and network speeds at TransIP

In the Netherlands I'd say TransIP is considered one of the best hosters, have been around for longer than DO. Less focus on quick growth, more on building out their business (for example: they build their own DC in collaboration with another respected Dutch hoster).

• @lhobas, thanks bro. I just bought a 5 eur/month plan to test it out. Also i have noticed one thing - on the main page, it says you have 50% discount for the next 3 months, but in control panel it says just for 1 month :)

• lhobaslhobas Member

I think the 3 month thing is a promotion around the launch of their SSD products, normally it is only 1 month. Control panel might not reflect that promotion, but still honor it in billing. (Screenshot from the website can never hurt if it doesn't get accounted for in billing later :))

• @lhobas, can i make snapshot then deploy it in another vps plan? i.e. if i want upgrade to a bigger plan.

• lhobaslhobas Member

They allow upgrading to larger plans, works well, even without using snapshots (you do have to increase hdd afterwards). Not sure if you can use snapshots between units, though the control panel suggests you can.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

transip == kvm?

• @rsk said:
    transip == kvm?

Yes, they say it's KVM.

@lhobas, just asked tech support and they told me that i cannot use snapshot on another vps instance. Btw, if you do upgrade to a bigger hdd - do you reinstall your VPS in order to get more storage?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

heihachi88 said: Yes, they say it's KVM.

That is a lot of SSD space then :P

• lhobaslhobas Member

@heihachi88 procedure depends on your OS install, since it is KVM.

Linux with LVM is easiest, yet not trivial. I have once increase partition size after disk growth, using LVM, worked flawlessly. Adding a partition is of course always possible, I believe support advises to reinstall when you want to increase main partition and did not install with LVM.

Thanked by 1heihachi88
  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited July 2014

EDIT: Ignore me.

• ztecztec Member

@heihachi88 said:

It's a very good company. I have 90% of my domains there ( ~250 ) for about 6 years. They're lovely. Always great support. Never tried their hosting though but I'm sure it's great.