Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN Slow
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN Slow

J1021J1021 Member

I use the following script to setup and configure OpenVPN. - https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

With this setup, I only ever see under my line throughput. On a 50Mb/s connection I see about 18Mb/s. I can wget a file from the host server over my native connection at the full 50Mb/s, CPU performance isn't a problem. I can download at full speed when using OpenVPN-AS.

Can anyone determine what it is with that setup that causes the slowdown? I've tried changing MTU values, encryption strength etc.

@Nyr

Comments

• Make sure it's using UDP instead of TCP.

• What server are you running it on? Try an iperf from you to the host to see how good the connection actually is.

• J1021J1021 Member

Affects TCP and UDP across multiple ISPs. As I said I can run the -AS version on the same server and speeds are fine.

• it's you're isp. here in the UK virgin media does exactly that. they cap openvpn speeds (just like torrents)

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited July 2014

I can't see anything wrong within the script at first glance, besides, if it was the script, there should be some issues reported on github. Does the -AS version generate a conf file, compare it with your existing one? What about routes, compare if it is set any differently between the script and the one -AS version generates.

Edit: try a different port?

• J1021J1021 Member

TarZZ92 said: it's you're isp. here in the UK virgin media does exactly that. they cap openvpn speeds (just like torrents)

I doubt it, the -AS version works fine and this problems occurs across multiple ISPs.

Caveman122 said: I can't see anything wrong within the script at first glance, besides, if it was the script, there should be some issues reported on github. Does the -AS version generate a conf file, compare it with your existing one? What about routes, compare if it is set any differently between the script and the one -AS version generates.

Edit: try a different port?

-AS version doesn't seem to generate a file. I've tried different ports with both TCP/UDP.

• RazzaRazza Member

@kcaj openvpn as stores the config in a sqlite db in directory /usr/local/openvpn_as/etc/db

• J1021J1021 Member

Razza said: @kcaj openvpn as stores the config in a sqlite db in directory /usr/local/openvpn_as/etc/db

Thanks for that. I'll take a look later on, I have the installation directory stored on my local Ubuntu installation and currently have stuff running in Windoze.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

If you are sure network isn't a problem (since you can download at full speed using -AS) and CPU isn't either... I don't really know what to say.

I mean, it should be either a CPU or network bottleneck. I don't know what else could be causing the problem.

And for the record, the script uses just the standard OpenVPN configuration with LZO enabled.

• Maybe disable LZO then

@TarZZ92 said:
    Maybe disable LZO then

He said CPU wasn't a problem.

• sc754sc754 Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    it's you're isp. here in the UK virgin media does exactly that. they cap openvpn speeds (just like torrents)

Put your openvpn connection through an SSL tunnel, then they can't xD

• @sc754 said:
    Put your openvpn connection through an SSL tunnel, then they can't xD

Tell that to people in China.

sc754 said: Put your openvpn connection through an SSL tunnel

LOL

• sc754sc754 Member

@Nyr said:
    LOL

What, it works xD

@sc754 said:
    What, it works xD

One SSL tunnel is exactly what OpenVPN is.

• sc754sc754 Member

@Nyr said:
    One SSL tunnel is exactly what OpenVPN is.

Two tunnels, all the better :)

• J1021J1021 Member

Disabled LZO and still the issue. If anyone trusted wants to/be willing to connect to my VPN and test this out for themselves I'd be grateful.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited July 2014

@kcaj i don't mind testing your vpn

• Nyr said: He said CPU wasn't a problem.

I got that. but its always worth a try.

• You should try softether and see if that's any better. :)

• Falco33 said: You should try softether and see if that's any better. :)

That will be even slower lol. Softether requires a good cpu.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

TarZZ92 said: That will be even slower lol. Softether requires a good cpu.

I use softether and love it. I use local bridge and it works well for my needs. I use VPN about 90% of the time. I used this tutorial for anyone interested.

http://blog.lincoln.hk/blog/2013/05/17/softether-on-vps-using-local-bridge/

• @ryanarp said:

I used the exact same tutorial for my VPS. Works like a charm, and the speeds are good too!

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • RazzaRazza Member

@ryanarp is there any advantages of using softether over using openvpn

• ryanarp said: I use softether and love it. I use local bridge

i guess the bridge thing solves that slowness about (over securre/virtual nat) although its slightly harder to setup

• Nyr said: One SSL tunnel is exactly what OpenVPN is.

Not exactly, OpenVPN has a fingerprint of a OpenVPN tunnel. It looks like a UDP/TCP connection exchanging private keys. sc754 was refering to using a HTTP SSL tunnel - which looks like HTTPS.

Some ISP will block or shape OpenVPN traffic because it looks like OpenVPN traffic (many people use it to bypass ISP shaping). We get around that by making the traffic look like web browsing traffic (I believe Netflix also uses HTTPS, etc.)

Razza said: @ryanarp is there any advantages of using softether over using openvpn

Lots of features that you may never need. OpenVPN can be much lighter than Soft, but Soft can do a lot more than Open by default.

Thanked by 1Razza
  • ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2014

Razza said: any advantages of using softether over using openvpn

Well I use Softether because I can easily configure my VPN on MAC and iPhone natively with L2TP (IPSec). It also gives you a few other options for connectivity (Including OpenVPN) that you can configure easily with the Windows VPN Management App. I could set this up via other methods, but all in all I think it took me 15 minutes (if that) to be up and running with that tutorial.

Thanked by 1Razza
  • @Razza said:
    ryanarp is there any advantages of using softether over using openvpn

It's super easy to manage, and you get a ton of options to choose from. You can also choose different ports on the client and bypass most firewalls that way. (At college or work etc)

You should give it a try, you won't be disappointed! (:

Thanked by 1Razza
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited July 2014

@ryanarp said: softether

Does it support lowendspirit IPv4 NAT?