Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest noob tickets you see
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Biggest noob tickets you see

MUH UBUNTU 14 ROOT LOGIN FAILS

Hey noob, Ubuntu disabled that crap. USE YOUR DAMN SERIAL CONSOLE WE PROVIDE TO YOU, NOOB.

Just a heads up to the summerhost kiddies who think running a hosting company is smoking Cuban cigars on your yacht.

Comments

• It's not hard to fix that in the template and offer people something that works, really.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited July 2014

Yeah that's nothing. If that's bad you haven't seen worse :p, but shouldn't still scream at customers. They just need managed support services.

Thanked by 1Noerman
  • nerouxneroux Member

Please tell me this was not a genuine response.

Thanked by 2Whoa vpsnerds
  • J1021J1021 Member

@Boxode Your kinda thread here.

• wychwych Member

What serverian and concerto said...

• ChuckChuck Member

Unbelievable. Oh wait I have CloudatCost.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • serverian said: It's not hard to fix that in the template and offer people something that works, really.

No, Ubuntu started doing that and you should not have to change something with an operating system to appeal to noobs. You shouldn't hand feed and maintain a group of users who cannot RTFM, let alone read Ubuntu's extensive documentation.

neroux said: Please tell me this was not a genuine response.

Pointing them to Ubuntu's documentation works well.

• nerouxneroux Member

doughmanes said: Pointing them to Ubuntu's documentation works well.

My point was that I hope this was not a genuine response anyone sent to a customer.

Thanked by 2Makenai vpsnerds
  • doughmanes said: You shouldn't hand feed and maintain a group of users who cannot RTFM, let alone read Ubuntu's extensive documentation.

Tell them they need managed services then if they didn't purchase it. Outside scope otherwise. It's simple.

• W3HostW3Host Member

I don't mind helping out customers with simple things. Easy for the both of us, haha.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Scion
  • neroux said: My point was that I hope this was not a genuine response anyone sent to a customer.

Whats your point, other than your tampon was lit by a flamethrower over something going on in your head where you're assuming something?

concerto49 said: Tell them they need managed services then if they didn't purchase it. Outside scope otherwise. It's simple.

Unmanaged policy and customers too used to handholdings/noob babysitting from providers like this chiming in. "Oh we love our customers and we love to help" yeah right more like getting them on the teat so anytime there is any small issue, they're going to point to the time you helped them resolve an Ubuntu 14 root login issue.

Now you're losing money on your service due to the amount of support tickets generated.

• nerouxneroux Member

doughmanes said: Whats your point, other than your tampon was lit by a flamethrower over something going on in your head where you're assuming something?

Excuse me?

• neroux said: Excuse me?

My point was not well received.

• nerouxneroux Member

@doughmanes said:
    My point was not well received.

I still dont know what your point was.

• I hate that whole "you shouldn't log in as root" thing. Just let me do what I want and if I mess up it's my own fault..

• ATHKATHK Member

@neroux said:
    Excuse me?

Hope he isn't a provider.... Disgusting behavior.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2014

The iwstack template has root as default.
    I also hate that "we defend you from yourself" stuff, if a customer is dumb enough so he cannot be trusted with a root login, then he probably is hosting with the wrong (unmanaged) provider.

That being said, someone asked me if installing virtualbox in ovz is allowed and if he can run windows inside. After I took the time to explain some basics, he wanted me to mount the iso for him.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • W3HostW3Host Member

@ATHK said:
    Hope he isn't a provider.... Disgusting behavior.

We should hope not. How unprofessional if he is.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

kcaj said: Your kinda thread here.

We dont speak to clients in such manner. This isn't the type of thread I'd like to be involved in.

No drama for you tonight, sorry.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Boxode said: We dont speak to clients in such manner.

Do you actually have clients yet?

• Just the right time for this sorta thread.
    I have a russian customer who is proving to be pain in the arse.
    It looks like he first writes in russian and then translates russian into english using one of the online translaters. It is impossible for me to understand and it is getting worst day by day.

I don't know what to tell him.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

stallion said: I don't know what to tell him.

Try translating English to Russia via the translator.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • nerouxneroux Member

stallion said: I don't know what to tell him.

Simply let him - politely - know that his messages are hard to decipher. And in the worst case cancel his account with a reasonable notice and a refund if applicable.

• stallion said: Just the right time for this sorta thread. I have a russian customer who is proving to be pain in the arse. It looks like he first writes in russian and then translates russian into english using one of the online translaters. It is impossible for me to understand and it is getting worst day by day.

Usual situation. Nekki's suggestion should work, if he uses Google Translate and you'll use that too.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Boxode said: We dont speak to clients in such manner.

You do far worse in a public forum though,.... who do you think you are kidding?

Thanked by 2Mark_R doughmanes
  • nerouxneroux Member

Profforg said: if he uses Google Translate and you'll use that too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers

Thanked by 1Whoa
  • alexhalexh Member

doughmanes said: Unmanaged policy and customers too used to handholdings/noob babysitting from providers like this chiming in. "Oh we love our customers and we love to help" yeah right more like getting them on the teat so anytime there is any small issue, they're going to point to the time you helped them resolve an Ubuntu 14 root login issue.

Now you're losing money on your service due to the amount of support tickets generated.

Two points:

• Loss of profit due to additional required man-hours would be caused solely by employees.
    • It's a bad idea to start a web hosting business and expect nobody to need hand-holding.
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited July 2014

@doughmanes said:
    MUH UBUNTU 14 ROOT LOGIN FAILS

Hey noob, Ubuntu disabled that crap. USE YOUR DAMN SERIAL CONSOLE WE PROVIDE TO YOU, NOOB.

Just a heads up to the summerhost kiddies who think running a hosting company is smoking Cuban cigars on your yacht.

Heh, interesting. I had this exact same problem. Downside to OVZ, I guess.

The provider I experienced this problem with replaced the templates within 15 minutes with working ones.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@stallion said:
    Just the right time for this sorta thread.
    I have a russian customer who is proving to be pain in the arse.
    It looks like he first writes in russian and then translates russian into english using one of the online translaters. It is impossible for me to understand and it is getting worst day by day.

Tell him to do it in Russian, and look here for someone who can help you. If he is in a good mood, maybe @aldryic can help :)

• The problem with ubuntu disabling the root login, it's the most of the customers are used to be able to log in as root, specially if they have used Debian or CentOS.

A small warning in the template or in the knowledge base can help those customers, and it doesn't take that much time to a provider to write.

Sometimes there a lot of things that a customer can solve by them selves if they have a small guidance (some simple tutorials on the host side), the most complete KB that I have seen is from Ramhost followed by mycustom hosting, buyvm has some tutorials but it falls a bit short. Also lowendspirit on their forums you can find some good things.