Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider charge extra for TUN/TAP, PPP and NAT - Is it normal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider charge extra for TUN/TAP, PPP and NAT - Is it normal?

ChuckChuck Member
edited July 2014 in General

Some VPS providers put the TUN/TAP, PPP and NAT in Addons

TUN/TAP $1 to enable

PPP $1 to enable

NAT $1 to enable

I think it's bad practice.

Comments

• trexostrexos Member

Host1plus?

• J1021J1021 Member

Charging for TUN/TAP support would scare me off big time.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Poll's fucked.

• J1021J1021 Member

Nekki said: Poll's fucked.

I'm glad the poll is fucked. Looking at the poll initially and not being able to make much sense of it, I thought I was fucked.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@kcaj said:
    I'm glad the poll is fucked. Looking at the poll initially and not being able to make much sense of it, I thought I was fucked.

Poll's gone.

• Name and shame!

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Chuck said:

I think it's bad practice.

Why do you feel this way?

Would you object to these charges if the plan was super-low budget (thinking of some like the $5 yearlies)?

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited July 2014

It is a rather annoying practice for clients indeed, but I don't see that practice as a terribly bad one either... so long as the provider makes it clear from the beginning.

If your provider is extremely low-budget, fairly new or has relatively few clients, then I suppose that helps them selling cheap VPS while giving users who need it TUN/TAP & co for a small fee. It's an extra feature and, considering the bandwidth some may use with their VPN, it's understandable to charge for that.

• W3HostW3Host Member

I don't agree with that at all. What is the name of the company that charges for this?

• J1021J1021 Member

Nekki said: Why do you feel this way?

For me it would show the provider is unable to sustain the plans without bringing in additional revenue from no-cost add-ons which is worrying.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

these are personal preferences...

how can we judge whether good or bad?

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited July 2014

Look people, Host1Plus could either charge you 5 bucks a month and enable all TUN/TAP/PPP by default, whether you are using it or not.

Or they could charge 3 bucks a month to someone who needs TUN/TAP and if you only need their VPS as a webserver, you pay 2 bucks a month.

Which one do you prefer?

May be it would have been better if they advertise as their VPS cost 5 bucks a month but if you don't use TUN/TAP you get a dollar discount, and if you don't use PPP you get a $1 discount as well. Less people will complain this way.

My grandpa used to tell me this story of this monkey-feeder who was trying to cut the number of bananas he feed his monkeys everyday. At first he said I will give you guys 3 bananas in the morning and 4 in the afternoon, and the monkey's were all pissed because they heard 3 bananas in the morning, so he changed his strategy and said, I'll give you guys 5 bananas in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, and the monkeys were happy because it seems they have got 2 extra bananas.

Thanked by 1serverian
  • Chuck said: I think it's bad practice.

I think it's a business choice. The business has a right to operate as they see fit. As a consumer, you have the right to shop around.

• sleddog said: I think it's a business choice. The business has a right to operate as they see fit. As a consumer, you have the right to shop around.

Precisely and why would I want to pay for something, and have it auto-enabled as well, if I have no intention of using it.

Do you buy the car you want?

Of course you do.

Does it have the features you want?

Of course it does.

Same rationale should apply here.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I would say it depends, does the panel support it and they have specifically done something to make you pay if you want it? if so then yeah its a bit rough.

If it is a manual job and they are using a free panel to keep costs down and you are paying peanuts to begin with, given the price they charge you then I think it is fine, you cant expect people to work for free?

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • wojonswojons Member

Personally if a provider told me they were going to charge me for tun tap Nat or any of that I would leave. Even if they are giving me good deal it means there margins are so low that built in features are to resource entensive.

• not normal

• FritzFritz Veteran

So they are better if they offer you $10/m for a VPS and they will give you $3 discount for each feature you don't use. You don't ned tun/tap/ppp so the price is now only $2/m. do you prefer it that way?

That is how our brain works :)

• As i see they charging $0,99 for all: Tun/tap, ppt and Nat including .

@trexos said:
    Host1plus?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2014

That's new !