Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN: Shorter ping or fewer hops?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN: Shorter ping or fewer hops?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited June 2012 in Help

So again, 2 VPS that I am thinking of making one of them a VPN server to watch Hulu.

One has ping of 11ms but has 11 hops from my home connection when I did a traceroute.
The other one has 13-14ms ping but only 9 hops from my home connection.

I am just wondering which one would be a better candidate for my VPN server?

Thanks!

Comments

• The 3-4ms rtt difference won't do anything but the 2 hops difference might save you some points of failure so i'd go with the 2nd server

• vldvld Member

Either, latency wise.

• @gsrdgrdghd so basically number of hops is more important than ping. Good to know!

• rds100rds100 Member

Number of hops doesn't matter. Test for packet loss instead.

• @zhuanyi said: @gsrdgrdghd so basically number of hops is more important than ping. Good to know!

Well not for everything, but 2ms difference in ping won't to anything

• @rds100: none of them give me any packet loss, but I guess you meant to ping for like 2, 3 hours?

• @gsrdgrdghd understood, thanks.

• rds100rds100 Member

@zhuanyi ping x.x.x.x -s 1472 -c 10000 -i 0 -n
    Don't look at the packet loss %, instead look at the number of transmitted and number of received packets (they should be the same).

• @zhuanyi said: @rds100: none of them give me any packet loss, but I guess you meant to ping for like 2, 3 hours?

If you are running a linux box at your home, you can try out mtr. It's great for gathering some statistics.

• Set it up, and do a speedtest and check on wich u get the best speed Then choose that VPN :P

• yomeroyomero Member

BAh, I have >100ms anywhere.

Thanked by 2TheHackBox DanielM
  • @rds100 so I tried your command and the results looks something like this:

--- xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ping statistics ---
    10000 packets transmitted, 6112 received, 38% packet loss, time 140611ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 231.831/1594.541/1821.646/147.922 ms, pipe 131, ipg/ewma 14.062/1709.124 ms

Turns out I did this while my dad was running a stupid Video chat software called QQ to talk to his dad in China...every time he runs it the entire home internet slows down...but I guess to convince to someone who is over 80 years old to use something else other than QQ is pretty tough...

• CoreyCorey Member

@yomero I'm sorry yomero... some ISP's just seem to not care.

• wonder why hulu still doesn't have any love for anyone outside the US :( surely their advertisers recognize the money in other parts of the world. Believe I read they made over 100 million a year off ads but this was before hulu+ so probably make lot more now.

• CoreyCorey Member

@taipres they would have to pursue advertisers in those countries... showing other countries US advertisements is kinda dumb.... the US advertisers probably pay per thousand views or something and don't want people outside the US seeing them as well.

• @taipres said: wonder why hulu still doesn't have any love for anyone outside the US :(

Licensing is a major hurdle. It costs them plenty just to be able to show what they do in the US.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Aldryic said: Licensing is a major hurdle. It costs them plenty just to be able to show what they do in the US.

I dunno about that boss. I'm pretty sure hulu's owners have investors/etc from FOX and the big groups.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: I dunno about that boss. I'm pretty sure hulu's owners have investors/etc from FOX and the big groups.

Oh, indeed, but licensing is still a major hurdle to overcome. Hell, look at Zune; there was a massive selection that even a company as big as Microsoft was unable to purchase play rights for.

• yomeroyomero Member

@Corey said: @yomero I'm sorry yomero... some ISP's just seem to not care.

Isn't only about ISPs
    Is about location. I am not in USA

A good location for me is Dallas. I can get even 50 ms. California, Florida, etc are about 90-100. Everything else, has more latency.

And THAT doesn't make difficult to watch netflix or hulu stuff. I don't know why this misconception...

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Interesting, tried it just now and still the same outcome:

10000 packets transmitted, 6104 received, 38% packet loss, time 140132ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 357.093/1620.673/1832.732/135.862 ms, pipe 134, ipg/ewma 14.014/1746.738 ms

I know my dad's has done his video chat with his dad for a while now...wondering why ping start to suck so much...

• rds100rds100 Member

@zhuanyi means that probably your line can't handle so much traffic. What's your internet line? You can try removing the "-i 0" but then it is going to run for 3 hours...