Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attempt at Brute Force? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Attempt at Brute Force?

2»

Comments

• @Victor said: During the period when we were with them, we had quite a few network issues, and that's ultimately one of the main reason we left them. But I gotta admit, their support staff are superb, answered my calls and tickets even when it's during the middle of the night. Had to call in when one of our servers went offline without reason, and turns out it's powered off.. :S

Haha yea their staff is great. I asked about BW upgrades and they gave me a free 5TB upgrade.

• CoreyCorey Member

@ErawanArifNugroho Anything they want.... if you are part of a botnet they control your node.... they can launch DDOS with it, use it to compromise more servers... anything malicious they want.

• klikliklikli Member

If you do monitor your HTTP error logs as well, you will definitely notice that there's plenty of attempts of different sorts of exploits.

• @Francisco said: razor1911

who?

• who?

One of the largest and most popular PC game cracking scene members.

• @Victor said: During the period when we were with them, we had quite a few network issues

They have performed a large number of network upgrades and the network is pretty solid. Upgrade all TOR switches and core/edge equipment.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

@sDsB said: So far this week 13213 failed login attempts.

...from 17 different IPs.

wow !! don't you change your ssh port ?

• Is there a good fail2ban tutorials around? Installed it on my vps but don't know how to configure it

• VictorVictor Member

@zhuanyi said: Is there a good fail2ban tutorials around? Installed it on my vps but don't know how to configure it

Search for it on howtoforge.com, I remember reading a few on there.

• Thanks, does fail2ban enables all the firewall blocks by default? I changed my ssh port and fail2ban just refuse me to log in, and I had no idea how I can reinitialize it...

• RandyRandy Member

i got them almost everyday. no joke (china.Japan.US ETCZ)

• I use fail2ban on every LEB / VPS / NODE I get, and ever had, nothing says "I'm lazy" like an application that automatically blocks things, and reports the blocks to you.

• TazTaz Member

Chinese people like to log into my Mail server a bit too much. 1200 block in last 2 days on failed mail server login. Ha ha.

• RandyRandy Member

nh. yeah the are the pros;-)

• Wait so I've been trying to find a tutorial to install fail2ban for cPanel but it seems to be pretty fritzy. Anyone can help? (http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/cpanel-server-bruteforce-firewall-197651.html That one's out of date)

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited June 2012

The biggest problem with fail2ban, IMHO, is the ~20MB RAM it constantly consumes. Makes it rather less suited for LEBs.

• JTRJTR Member

My VPS doesn't have fail2ban setup, so I'm unsure. My dedi sends me 2-5 fail2ban emails per day, sometimes as many as 10 or more. Looking through the logs, I found 15k access attempts in the last week, which is surprising and most likely inaccurate.

Thanked by 1Victor
  • @HalfEatenPie said: Wait so I've been trying to find a tutorial to install fail2ban for cPanel but it seems to be pretty fritzy. Anyone can help? (http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/cpanel-server-bruteforce-firewall-197651.html That one's out of date)

Just install CSF. Much better. And is integrated in WHM.