Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for sub $5/month VPS in Canada
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for sub $5/month VPS in Canada

Hi all,

I am looking for a sub $5/month VPS in Canada. I am looking to set up a personal VPN so 256MB or 512 MB is more than enough. Processor speed or numbers of cores is unimportant.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited July 2014

@MCHPhil?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30615/my-custom-hosting-canada-kvm-free-ovh-ddos-protection-native-ipv6-e5-s-ssd-cached-no-bs#latest

You are not getting a better deal than this in Canada, I personally have an account with them, great network and uptime, knowledgeable staff.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • http://zionvps.com/ca.html

i can lower the price from 6.5 to 5 for you

Thanked by 1heiren
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

You can take a look at our offers at www.gestiondbi.com or contact us for a custom quote.

• heirenheiren Member

@zionvps said:
    i can lower the price from 6.5 to 5 for you

1G How much?

• OVH

• @Caveman122 said:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30615/my-custom-hosting-canada-kvm-free-ovh-ddos-protection-native-ipv6-e5-s-ssd-cached-no-bs#latest

You are not getting a better deal than this in Canada, I personally have an account with them, great network and uptime, knowledgeable staff.

I would recommend MyCustomHosting as well

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited July 2014

CloudatCost.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Chuck said: CloudatCost.

Are you suggesting them as a customer, or a you just throwing out a name?

• @Chuck said:

CloudatCost.

Might want to check some reviews before you do something crazy ... like buy this crap service.

• Rhys_quadexRhys_quadex Member
    edited July 2014

You could try our service at http://www.quadexhosting.com , $5/month for 100Mbps KVM, 10Mbps for $3.80/month Unmetered data usage, Hourly charges, just throwing out something for you too look at.

Located Toronto, Canada
    You can pm me if you'd like a test IP to ping to.

• Prvisionhost has an offer in Toronto on lowendserv.com at $38 for the year for 512Mb. I have used them before, pretty good service.

• Unless you can magically score a Kimsufi, I would also suggest MyCustomHosting.

I have a $10 a year 64mb vps with them which I run a small personal VPN. It has worked exceptionally well. I'm looking to pick up one or two more. My speed tests and ip resolves to OVH. So I'm assuming they are using their servers in Montreal.

For the price it just can't be beat for a .ca ip/vpn.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

I would try also @MCHphil , his services are good (although he did piss some here from time to time in discussions, but generally he is good to clients, just check some previous posts).

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • Your support reply is so slow.:(

@Rhys_quadex said:
    You could try our service at http://www.quadexhosting.com , $5/month for 100Mbps KVM, 10Mbps for $3.80/month Unmetered data usage, Hourly charges, just throwing out something for you too look at.

Located Toronto, Canada
    You can pm me if you'd like a test IP to ping to.

• @catding we are currently dealing with the issues you are having at the moment, we responded roughly 20 minutes after you opened a ticket, if resolution of the issue takes more than an hour for us to fix we will apply a 5% discount to your account to make up for it.

• IshaqIshaq Member

ProvisionHost

• CoryCory Member

I've been very happy with the service I've got from MyCustomHosting. @MCHPhil usually has a few offers on here. They're out of BHS so they've got DDoS protection as well which is always a plus. Latest thread is http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30615/my-custom-hosting-canada-kvm-free-ovh-ddos-protection-native-ipv6-e5-s-ssd-cached-no-bs/p1

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • Thank you all for your responses. This is why I love this place. I could have easily picked out a provider from lowendbox.com but it would not have been the same. Your suggestions are in essence recommendations and I know most people will not recommend crappy providers. So you know, I ended up going with MyCustomHosting. I went for the 256MB vps for $18/year. You were right, you cannot beat that deal. Thanks once again.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • neopipil said: I went for the 256MB vps for $18/year.

Quite a bit "sub $5/month". Let us know how it goes :)

• @neopipil said:
    Thank you all for your responses. This is why I love this place. I could have easily picked out a provider from lowendbox.com but it would not have been the same. Your suggestions are in essence recommendations and I know most people will not recommend crappy providers. So you know, I ended up going with MyCustomHosting. I went for the 256MB vps for $18/year. You were right, you cannot beat that deal. Thanks once again.

Thank you for your business sir!

• nunimnunim Member

Another +1 for MCH, unbeatable deals and rock solid services. I'm using one of my VPS's to run an RDP instance that I use daily for hours and have yet to notice any downtime.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • @Dylan said:
    I'd go with OVH directly:

http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/vps/vps-classic.xml

In my experience their classic VPS's in their Canadian location seem to be overcrowded and not very stable, and their support aren't very knowledgeable. I found that the container often randomly restarted and was very unstable during the weekend, which led me to believe that they're overloaded.

About the random restart issues - I provided system logs and everything to OVH to prove to them that there was nothing triggering the container to stop on the OS side, rather it was the host node causing it. They transferred me to their "SWAT" department and gave me a 5 day credit or something and told me that a staff member most likely restarted the host node (though I explained this happened several times) - I then asked them if it'd be possible to move my server to another host node, and of course they wouldn't allow that. I would honestly steer clear of OVH's VPS line, they may seem like good deals, and they are to a point, but you truly do get what you pay for.

If you want to use OVH, I'd recommend buying from a OVH reseller which uses OVH dedicated servers rather than renting a direct VPS, as I said it seems like OVH oversells to the max (they must to make a profit at those prices) and their support is definitely far from what I'd consider to be adequate.

• DBADBA Member

With OpenVZ restarting the host node doesn't necessarily restart the containers. They are usually suspended/saved and then loaded when the host comes back up. They will of course be unavailable for a period while the host is restarting.

Having your containers restart on their own is a bad sign.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

I use also a KVM from MyCustomHosting. Very pleased with the server and Phil.

• you can check us :)