Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issue installing Varnish on cPanel/WHM server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Issue installing Varnish on cPanel/WHM server

PremiumNPremiumN Member
edited July 2014 in General

So im following this tutorial [http://crybit.com/how-to-enable-varnish-in-cpanel-server/ ] to install varnish on my cPanel/WHM based server and the first step states that we need to change from the default port 80 to say for example 8080.

When i change this in WHM, all sites immediately go down and upon changing it back to the default port, it comes back online.

Can anyone shed some light as to what i should do to continue with the installation?

Thank you!

Comments

• vedranvedran Veteran

Yes. Continue with the installation ...

Or don't change the port, install varnish on 8080 and once you make sure everything is working, switch the ports

• @vedran said:
    Yes. Continue with the installation ...

Or don't change the port, install varnish on 8080 and once you make sure everything is working, switch the ports

So if i skip step 1 and do that later, will it not cause any problems?

• You are doing this on a production host?

• @Caveman122 said:
    You are doing this on a production host?

as in active server with websites you mean?

• vedranvedran Veteran

PremiumN said: So if i skip step 1 and do that later, will it not cause any problems?

In theory. Or just follow the guide and be quick and hope everything works.

Btw, there is an error in the tutorial:
    5. Edit Varnish config: /etc/varnish/default.vcl . Correct the IP address in this file to your IP address and port to 80

It should be port 8080 (or whatever you're changing your Apache port to)