Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia GPU for CUDA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nvidia GPU for CUDA

Hello,

I would like to know if the low end VPS market is ready to offer Nvidia GPU's to run CUDA programs ? The official Nvidia cloud partners charge extreme prices, unaffordable for small projects.

So basically an offer would be a normal Windows/Linux based VPS and than which Nvidia hardware is dedicated to that VPS. I don't think you can share a GPU accross multiple VPS as that may end up in a mess if you run CUDA software in parallel as you need direct hardware access.

So the only difference between VPS-GPU offers would be which GPU is used to determine the number of cores and how much RAM that GPU comes with. On Windows CUDA cannot be used using RDC. Only VNC/Teamviewer can be used.

Whats available today ?

Comments

• BoxodeBoxode Member

said: I would like to know if the low end VPS market is ready to offer Nvidia GPU's to run CUDA programs ?

Nope.

• Amazon's AWS is what I'm using at the moment. After a few hours looking around at the availability of low-end low-layout GPU hosting, it doesn't seem like there are any.

NVIDIA seem to have cornered the market for GPGPU as I never saw any offerings that had an AMD card, even though they tend to be a lot more cost effective. If there were to be low end opportunities, I'd like to see the option of both (though I much prefer coding in CUDA)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

of course! $500/m

• BoxodeBoxode Member

netomx said: of course! $500/m

buttttt, but the limit is $7/m for offers! It haz to be $7 or undar

• ZEROFZEROF Member

I don't think that providers are ready for this. Here you can find list of GPU providers:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/gpu-cloud-computing-services.html

• ad0ad0 Member

you can tell the server to buy that hardware but you will need to pay them the hardware for them to setup at their end

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited July 2014

ricardo said: NVIDIA seem to have cornered the market for GPGPU as I never saw any offerings that had an AMD card, even though they tend to be a lot more cost effective

I'm wondering that. I want to know why every high-powered workstation (not for gaming, for business) I've worked with has a Nvidia GPU. Every consumer desktop seems to have a AMD GPU.

I can't find anything that supports Nvidia over AMD or AMD over Nvidia - only these "gamer" benchmarks. Nothing about reliability, performance, support, etc.

said: I don't think you can share a GPU accross multiple VPS as that may end up in a mess if you run CUDA software in parallel as you need direct hardware access.

Someone here said that was possible with the latest XEN passthrough.

• Silvenga said: I'm wondering that. I want to know why every high-powered workstation (not for gaming, for business) I've worked with has a Nvidia GPU. Every consumer desktop seems to have a AMD GPU.

I can't find anything that supports Nvidia over AMD or AMD over Nvidia - only these "gamer" benchmarks. Nothing about reliability, performance, support, etc.

Because AMD has the coin mining market and it makes more money? :p