Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ORKUT Farewell
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ORKUT Farewell

agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

just received this email from google:

A Farewell to Orkut
After ten years of sparking conversations and forging connections, we have decided it's time for us to start saying goodbye to Orkut. Over the past decade, YouTube, Blogger and Google+ have taken off, with communities springing up in every corner of the world. Because the growth of these communities has outpaced Orkut's growth, we've decided to focus our energy and resources on making these other social platforms as amazing as possible for everyone who uses them.

We will shut down Orkut on September 30, 2014. Until then, there will be no impact on you, so you may have time to manage the transition. You can export your profile data, community posts and photos using Google Takeout (available until September 2016). We are preserving an archive of all public communities, which will be available online starting September 30, 2014. If you don't want your posts or name to be included in the community archive, you can remove Orkut permanently from your Google account. Please visit our Help Center for any further details.

It's been a great 10 years, and we apologize to those of you still actively using the service. We hope you will find other online communities to spark more conversations and build even more connections for the next decade and beyond.

Comments

• aw please not.

• aw please not.

• When Google+ Beta was released we all knew this was going to happen. Google+ was designed to replace Orkut and it has, remarkably, in face of even MySpace and Facebook.

• When I was in Brazil a few years ago Orkut was extremely popular. Everybody in Brazil seemed to be on it. I had never heard of it, and was totally shocked to learn it was from Google.

• jnelson3149 said: I had never heard of it, and was totally shocked to learn it was from Google.

I still know people who were shocked to hear that Google has owned Youtube for 8 years.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jnelson3149 said: When I was in Brazil a few years ago Orkut was extremely popular. Everybody in Brazil seemed to be on it. I had never heard of it, and was totally shocked to learn it was from Google.

It wasn't "from" Google - Google just bought it. I read once that Orkut was dominant in the Brazilian market but never had much traction elsewhere.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I always found it to be an inferior social network to the others but then I'm not from Brazil so I'm sure that, like most others, it really came down to the people on it. New market for Facebook to dominate.