Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My GFW-mitigation strategy (and a technical question) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My GFW-mitigation strategy (and a technical question)

2»

Comments

• faddatfaddat Member

Profforg-- Looking at your comment again, I think it may have been in reference to debian working better than ubuntu. Anyway, that wouldn't work here. THe problem is at the hosting provider level, not the OS level. Yes, confirmed. Host even agrees problem is theirs, just can't fix it....

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited July 2014

most hong kong provider(at least at his source, which is pretty much resellers of one company) do not even have debian... only centos is available.

I think the biggest challenge to achieve your goal is to find reliable point of connection to relay data at decent speed, the 2 main chockpoint is 1- from China going out. 2- crossing the ocean. Without solving either issue it doesn't matter what kind of program / service you are running you will always be reminded you are stuck with terrible censored internet.

• faddatfaddat Member

Belinik:

Can you recommend a HK provider that does have this? I've finally got my gear together to the point that this is even remotely possible.

Thanks!

• BAKABAKA Member

The best period for testing your strategy is around 4 June when GFW enforces strict rules. Better with >100GB/day transfer with connection to >100IP for >1month. GFW is always evolving and has some 'artificial intelligence'.

Native IPv6 is only available in CERNET (i.e. for universities) and has very awful connection with HE.net (ping>300ms).

• zxbzxb Member

How is this project going? I'm in China.

On my home network (China Telecom):
    Dynamic IPv4, no IPv6.
    OpenVPN is blocked. (At least using the TLS method, over both UDP and TCP. Haven't tried shared key.)
    SSH is not blocked, but filtered. What that means is, I can use SSH, but after sending a large amount of data at some speed, your connection will start to drop (packet drop becomes 20%+), and eventually if you do this for an extended period your IP may be banned.
    Banned IP can't even connect into GFW.
    SSL traffic is similiar to SSH. (I only tried HTTPS)

On my school network (CERNET & CERNET2):
    Static IPv4 and IPv6.
    IPv4 seems to be subject to similiar limitations.
    IPv6 seems fine. Tried openvpn using shared key, worked well. Speed is good at about 2Mb/s.
    IPv6 pinging with my server (in USA) is usually 200ms~300ms. But it's stable.

On both networks I've also observed DNS poisoning.

Thanked by 2rm_ faddat
  • zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited July 2014

@zxb said:
    How is this project going? I'm in China.

On my home network (China Telecom):
    Dynamic IPv4, no IPv6.
    OpenVPN is blocked. (At least using the TLS method, over both UDP and TCP. Haven't tried shared key.)
    SSH is not blocked, but filtered. What that means is, I can use SSH, but after sending a large amount of data at some speed, your connection will start to drop (packet drop becomes 20%+), and eventually if you do this for an extended period your IP may be banned.
    Banned IP can't even connect into GFW.
    SSL traffic is similiar to SSH. (I only tried HTTPS)

On my school network (CERNET & CERNET2):
    Static IPv4 and IPv6.
    IPv4 seems to be subject to similiar limitations.
    IPv6 seems fine. Tried openvpn using shared key, worked well. Speed is good at about 2Mb/s.
    IPv6 pinging with my server (in USA) is usually 200ms~300ms. But it's stable.

On both networks I've also observed DNS poisoning.

I always distaste filthy people like you who is greedy enough to take advantage of the economic progression in China but yet does not want to obey the laws in China.

Whether the laws or the rules are correct or not it is a completely different story, however if you choose to come to a country, you choose to follow the rules in there, simple as that.

For example, if I absolutely hate people who carries guns on the streets, do I move to the US and destroy everyone's guns there? Even though I think the whole story with Second Amendment is simply to give the lazy people who work for unions like NRA a job?

People in China don't have a choice, but you do, if you want internet freedom, get out of China and go to wherever the freedom is.

EDIT: Just for clarity sake I will add these two pieces of info:

1. I do not dislike foreign presence in China in general. Majority of the foreigners come to China (or any other country for that matter) are law-abiding citizens who are willing to follow and observe the rules of their host country, regardless of whether they agree with the rules and laws themselves. What I dislike are the minority group of people, who come to China (or again, any country for that matter) and don't want to observe the rules of the host country. By the same token, I also dislike Chinese who goes to US and have little respect for the US laws.

2. I did not, do not, and will not consider GFW as something good or useful, and I agree that the CCP should open up the Internet more and let their citizens have see enough to make an informed decisions. I agree with several posters below that GFW doesn't do too much good, if any, to the Chinese citizens. But again, that is another debate. However, that decision and discussion has to be made by the citizens of the country, not by people who come to China with the sole interests of taking advantage of the economic progression. Many people go to Middle East to work for the oil-rich countries, again by the same token I believe they should follow the Sharia laws whether or not they actually agree with them.

• zxbzxb Member
    1. There are no laws or rules in China that says you can't access the Internet overseas.

2. I do not have a choice.

So I don't see what you are really saying.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited July 2014

@zxb said:
    1. There are no laws or rules in China that says you can't access the Internet overseas.

1. I do not have a choice.

So I don't see what you are really saying.

1. There are no laws or rules says you can't access Internet overseas, but there are explicit rules against trying to climb over GFW

2. Were you born in China and never managed to leave China? Were you forced by the communist/PLA to move to China under gunpoint? No you don't. So stop lying.

• zxbzxb Member
    1. What are these laws?
    2. I AM born in China.
    Thanked by 1rm_
  • @zxb said:
    1. What are these laws?

GFW is there for a reason and IF you second point is true, you know that better than others here there are rules against climbing over.

1. I AM born in China.

Again you are lying. Don't think because Internet is a place where you can claim anything, you can claim anything. I know the country too well to know you are not.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2014

Can you tell me a good reason for the GFW to exist? Other than suppression and control of the people? You seem so buttfucked as if you have been part of its creation...

Thanked by 2shrubbles ihatetonyy
  • zxbzxb Member
    1. I do not. If you do, would you care to tell me?
    2. If you don't believe it, what can I do?
  • @Amitz said:
    Can you tell me a good reason for the GFW to exist? Other than suppression and control of the people? You seem so buttfucked as if you have been part of its creation...

Like what I said, that is subject to another debate and in a way I agree with you. However that is not the point. The point is if people don't like the way China works, they can choose not to enter the country and stay out of it instead of taking advantage of the economic progress China is making while at the same time criticize everything about it (much like what the US and EU are doing anyways). I personally against ownership of guns by non-law-enforcement individuals because I can't think of a good reason for some irresponsibility individuals to own guns freely and kill people when they feel like to (again, same could be said on free internet, but I will save that for another debate) and if I were to be an American for sure I would have been involved in some gun control group. However rules are rules, if I don't like them I can choose not to go to the States, but IF I ever go there, I will abide the laws and the rules.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @zxb said:
    1. I do not. If you do, would you care to tell me?
    2. If you don't believe it, what can I do?

It is not me you have to be right with, it is your own conscience.

• BAKABAKA Member

@zhuanyi said:
    2. Were you born in China and never managed to leave China? Were you forced by the communist/PLA to move to China under gunpoint? No you don't. So stop lying.

1. The Chinese Gov never officially acknowledged the existence of GFW. How can they explicitly forbid anyone from climbing a non-existent thing?

2. You are implicitly saying: "If people disagree with the gov, then people get outta this country!" --which is opposed to what the gov explicitly calling "people-dominated country". If people oppose the gov, then it's the gov that should go away accordingly.

• BAKA said: You are implicitly saying: "If people disagree with the gov, then people get outta this country!" --which is opposed to what the gov explicitly calling "people-dominated country". If people oppose the gov, then it's the gov that should go away accordingly.

That is another debate, BUT even if it is the case, the Chinese people get to decide, not some foreigners who simply come to the country to take advantage of the economic progression while disobeying the rules and laws.

Again like what I said, I in fact encourage the Chinese people (who were born in the country and were never privileged enough to leave the country) to explore these options, what I am against are people who come to China and choose to neglect the laws and rules in China simply because they think they are "superior" (whatever that means).

Anyways I am done debating this, don't see any point to grind over this further. There will always be foreigners like that zxb guy coming to China just like there will always be Chinese people who choose to disobey the laws and rules overseas.

• zxbzxb Member
    1. Either you are telling us what the hell your previously mentioned laws are, or you are not. If you are, just say it. If you are not, stop your BS.

2. Unless you have enough evidence, stop calling me a foreigner.

• cppgohancppgohan Member
    edited July 2014

@Amitz said:

@zhuanyi, are you a Chinese live in china mainland? Tell me about the reason, prevent their people seeing unhealthy information? Like google? Like wikipedia?

• zhuanyi said: I am against are people who come to China and choose to neglect the laws and rules in China simply because they think they are "superior" (whatever that means).

Who are you quoting that believes they are superior? I would love to find out, because the only person using that word in this thread is you -- and quotations imply a direct quote in most cases.

Of course, you also ignore that authorities seem to look the other way when those filthy foreigners, whom you seem to detest, are allowed uncensored internet access by hotels.

• zhuanyi said: Anyways I am done debating this, don't see any point to grind over this further. There will always be foreigners like that zxb guy coming to China just like there will always be Chinese people who choose to disobey the laws and rules overseas.

>

Chill down.

Literally speaking, the Fire Wall(I am trying to avoid the full name of it in case LET get banned by some keyword filter since LET is not using HTTPS) does not exist, which makes
    it legal to "use some technical ways to visit some particular websites".

Again, techniques are not evil in any means. It's who abuses them that are evil. And I personally believe that the strategies mentioned in this post are not abusive in any way.

Back to the topic, since OVPN and SSH are not available in some part of China, there's little we can do with them, and any strategy with these 2 methods would be restricted. Try Shadowsocks and CISCO IPSEC, which are less influenced.

• faddatfaddat Member

Wowza. That's definitely what I did NOT want to happen.

Also, and I thought I was being pretty clear on this, I am VERY LITERALLY neutral on China's government. I think they've done some incredible things, like lifting a nation out of poverty. That is an incredible feat and I give them all the credit in the world for having done it because poverty is the thing that harms our SPECIES (not our race, not our nationality, not our sociolinguistic group) the most. They've done some bad things, too, but either way, it's not my place to be judging those sorts of things. (I try & remind myself: Well, they didn't just up & invade Iraq & Afghanistan for the Oil / Reasons of Military-industrial complex, and they've never done anything similar to that)

That's why I reoriented the project. It's got nothing to do with GFW. It's just something I thought up because I was forced to deal with GFW. Problems (like being unable to access some web sites

Finally, and you need to really sit down and think about this, @zhuanyi : If all of the foreigners left China tomorrow, and all China closed itself off from the world, China would once again find itself poor and isolated. I came to China to witness, to live, to participate in what is happening here. Plenty of other foreigners did, too. All of this integration is part of the formation of a global society, fueled by the Internet. This is a good thing because people from diverse backgrounds meet one another, exchange ideas, and come up with better ways of doing things.

Because I like the design so much, I market and support ONLY Chinese-designed electronics on a global scale. ME AND EVERY SINGLE FOREIGN PERSON I KNOW MUST USE A VPN TO DO THEIR WORK. SINCE GOOGLE IS NOW BLOCKED THERE IS LITERALLY NO OTHER WAY. THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS THIS. NO ONE WANTS A 100% EFFECTIVE WALL SYSTEM, BECAUSE CHINA WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PURSUE THE EXPORT-DRIVEN DEVELOPMENT THAT HAS BROUGHT IT SO FAR, NOT TO MENTION THE SERVICE-ORIENTED DEVELOPMENT THAT IS BEGINNING TO TAKE IT EVEN FURTHER.

Now, is China developing BECAUSE of foreign people? No way. Comparatively there are just a handful of us here, and there are hundreds of really innovative Chinese businesses being launched every day.

Should I have even mentioned "the wall" in my postings? No way.

If China asks all the foriegn people to leave, will I? Well of course! I follow the laws & I understand what I agreed to when coming here.

Would China suffer if all of us left? Most certainly.

How many non-chinese technologies did you use in making your post, well, let's count:

-Plastics
    -The Internet
    -Linux
    -Windows
    -Apache
    -HTTP
    -This Message Board
    -Electricity Delivery to homes or workplaces
    -Fiber Optics

That list could go on for pages and pages, and this is already very long.

Chinese people have made ataptations to and innovations on technologies in that list, and I for one, THINK THAT IS AWESOME. I LOVE INNOVATION, and its origin doesn't concern me in the least.

How about you just have a think on it: Isn't it better if we all just get along and work on improving one another's circumstances in life?

Thanked by 1metagen
  • belinikbelinik Member
    edited July 2014

ssh via a non standard port seem to work ok, I have started to try SS and find the client being very buggy(it crash on me a couple of times per day when heavy load). It also appears my sister has better download speed with random public openvpn server then any of my method, I have yet to figure out why...

If you are in gongdong CU, it appears I can achieve very decent speed with linode japan(I have seen 15+mbit running). while CT I am getting the roller coaster ride.

My heart dies a little when people keep thinking all of these blocking, slow speed is all China government's doing. I'm suprise nobody point the finger to all those china companies who may have played a very large role on these events(with the help with lobbying). Telecom companies screwing with the peering so people have to buy their super expensive bandwidth because they 'can'. All those technology companies who gets blocked soon after China introduced their own version. All those intrusive 'protection' software.

Also, if you have nothing on topic please leave the people who is struggling in China alone... Especially if you are not living there right now.

• I'd like you to have a try, are you living in Shenzhen? cause I am living in shenzhen.

I am suffered from GFW for years, use some simple technicals with VPS, but speed or connections are not stable.

All my vpses installed ss server and other VPN server using my saltstack state script, when one goes down I just switch to another.