Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goldman Sachs attempting to strongarm Google on Gmail and Google giving in
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Goldman Sachs attempting to strongarm Google on Gmail and Google giving in

A Goldman Sachs contractor apparently mis-addressed an email to @gmail.com instead of @gs.com and because of this Goldman Sachs requested that the email is removed from the recipient's inbox. Google initially refused to comply with the request but nonetheless blocked the respective account in the meantime.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/2/5865613/goldman-sachs-is-suing-google-to-un-send-an-accidental-email and http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/03/us-google-goldman-leak-idUSKBN0F729I20140703

I am not sure what worries me more, that the usual "ruthless" global investment firm is actually willing to go to such extents to "protect" data they mis-addressed themselves (what happens with a physical letter? Torning down the house?) or that a similarly global company in the IT sector manages to withstand only for a few hours (best days) and eventually gives in and blocks the account in question (at least they havent "secretly" deleted the message, it appears).

Is the conclusion we need to draw here that literally any Gmail account can be (indefinitely?) blocked if someone with a big enough budget accidentally addresses an email to it?

Comments

• PwnerPwner Member

Lol, someone from Goldman Sachs is gonna be fired after the show is over.

• Pwner said: fired after the show is over.

Willing to bet they're already fired, even if it's just a fatfingered email.

GS has been dragged out in public and wasn't able to sweep this under the rug, making themselves look incompetent in the process and possibly drawing the ire of regulators.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2014

And, it is best they went after google directly, they could have asked an ex-parte ruling until google complies for all carriers and hosts to drop google from their bgp or go confiscate the gmail.com domain as well as googlemail or many other domains used in gmail, those of people using them with gapps and so on, so forth, similar to what microsoft did regarding noip. At least here they would even have proof they did try to force google to take it down before, it was just google asked them to obey the law and refused to comply.

• 5n1p5n1p Member

Now if that user had some email forwarding enabled what could they do then?

• nerouxneroux Member

@5n1p said:
    Now if that user had some email forwarding enabled what could they do then?

Shut down the entire route of the email and sue him for deliberate distribution of confidential material -> future fellow inmate of Bradley Manning (sorry, the topic is too serious to joke about it, but I couldnt resist)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

Maounique said: they could have asked an ex-parte ruling until google complies for all carriers and hosts to drop google from their bgp or go confiscate the gmail.com domain

Nah, Google is about on the same scale as GS, so that wouldn't really work out.

Now if the target was some tiny E-Mail only business such as Fastmail.fm, then I could totally see their servers being seized to delete that E-Mail, etc.

said: Google initially refused to comply with the request but nonetheless blocked the respective account in the meantime.

I wonder how the f*ck does that work? Is that even based on any ToS or AUP of Google, and if so which point the poor user has "violated". So if you use Gmail, pray that GS or someone else big doesn't accidentally send you something, or you could lose access to your account with all your important/business correspondence, for the duration of the "meantime".

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • nerouxneroux Member

rm_ said: their servers being seized to delete that E-Mail

Even though I'd be curious on which legal basis. Not that I'd argue though that the deeper pockets usually win regardless of any legal basis ....

• nerouxneroux Member

rm_ said: So if you use Gmail, pray that GS or someone else big doesn't accidentally send you something, or you could lose access to your account with all your important/business correspondence, for the duration of the "meantime".

Precisely, this is exactly what I was referring to by

Is the conclusion we need to draw here that literally any Gmail account can be (indefinitely?) blocked if someone with a big enough budget accidentally addresses an email to it?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

This should have been between the user which received the communication in error and gs. They should have asked him to not disseminate that info, maybe giving a reward for helping them with their blunder, not to mention there are laws which penalize him if he does that.
    Going to court against google is like going to court to force some ISP to deny service to a third party because you made a mistake.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited July 2014

So does anyone know what are the netblocks of Goldman Sachs? I might consider blocking them in our mail servers, in case they decide to send us a letter by mistake.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

I have an academic question: who is stronger? Google or Goldman Sucks (yes, I know I wrote it wrongly). Google is contrilling the majority of the traffic / search / advertising / emailing etc. of the internet. Goldman Sachs can destroy a whole country helping "investors" squeezed all the reserves!

• neroux said: future fellow inmate of Bradley Manning

Most people in prison for confidential information disclosure are currently men.

• VPNVPN Member

@Rallias said:
    Most people in prison for confidential information disclosure are currently men.

Relevance? Lol.

• So.. Google block the user from logging into his account until he contacts Google. Google tell him what happened and ask if they can delete the email from his account? User probably agrees and that's the end of this story?

• Maounique said: This should have been between the user which received the communication in error and gs. They should have asked him to not disseminate that info, maybe giving a reward for helping them with their blunder, not to mention there are laws which penalize him if he does that.

Going to court against google is like going to court to force some ISP to deny service to a third party because you made a mistake.

They did contact the user in question multiple times, Not only that but no one has logged into the account since the email was sent, not because of Google but because no on has tried.

Currently the email has just been locked so it cant be opened, they are trying to get Google to delete the email.

• srvrprosrvrpro Member
    edited July 2014

So that is why I can't login since morning.

• mrtzmrtz Member

@theduncan said:
    Currently the email has just been locked so it cant be opened, they are trying to get Google to delete the email.

The user accessed the account some time around June 20th. So around two weeks ago. I'm not sure about you, but I have multiple email accounts, some of which I don't check more than once a month.

• theduncan said: Currently the email has just been locked so it cant be opened, they are trying to get Google to delete the email.

How much power do you think they have to actually get Google to delete that email?

• VPNVPN Member
    edited July 2014

@eddynetweb said:
    How much power do you think they have to actually get Google to delete that email?

Technically, no power at all.