Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Windows VPS - Would you recommend them? (Details in post)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Windows VPS - Would you recommend them? (Details in post)

IAreKyleW00tIAreKyleW00t Member
edited July 2014 in Providers

So, I'd like to get a small Windows VPS to run a few programs for me while I'm out of town. To give a quick rundown of what would be running, it's basically like a Winamp server streaming to Shoutcast (little bit different, but that's the rough idea).

I thought about using Vultr's $15/mo plan; 2 Cores, 2GB RAM, 40GB Disk, 3TB Bandwidth and it seems like they have Windows Server 2012 as an option for what OS you want.

Would you recommend them for this? I've never used Vultr for hosting, and it doesn't need to be the "best" out there since this is only going to be a temporary move.

Thanks a lot,
Kyle

Edit: Also sorry if "Providers" isn't the correct category. I'll change it if I need to.

Comments

• blackblack Member

They should be fine, especially if it's temporary. It's on an hourly billing basis so you'd only lose a few dollars if you don't like the performance.

• Vultr is very good.

• @black said:
    They should be fine, especially if it's temporary. It's on an hourly billing basis so you'd only lose a few dollars if you don't like the performance.

That's one of the reasons I was going to choose them - the hourly billing. That's a pretty nice feature. :P

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If this is in the US I can vouch for Inception Hosting in Miami.
    Xen HVM but you wont notice the difference. I think the €5/month coupon is still working (could be $, not sure). You can find it on LEB or here in the offer category.

• LeeLee Veteran

The cheapest Windows plan with Vultr is $23 with 1 core and 1GB. Then it's $39 for 1 core and 2 GB and so on. The licences are expensive.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    The cheapest Windows plan with Vultr is $23 with 1 core and 1GB. Then it's $39 for 1 core and 2 GB and so on. The licences are expensive.

Ah, I didn't notice that at first - thank you for pointing that out. It would still be temporary so hourly payments shouldn't be too bad.

• myhkenmyhken Member

If you have your own .iso file and license you can get that price you talk about, if not you have to pay what W1V_Lee says.

• cassacassa Member

@W1V_Lee said:

Or if you have your own license you can upload a ISO

• LeeLee Veteran

I just seen an email from HudsonValleyHost with Windows.

100 GB Windows VPS Plan
    Normally $20/mo - NOW (With Coupon): $15/mo
    100 GB RAID-10 Protected Storage
    5000 GB Monthly Bandwidth
    2GB RAM
    1 IP Address

• I've been really happy with my Winity.io box. Not sure if the promo is still around, but the base which is 1 core, 1GB ram, 30 or 40GB SSD incl. Server 2012 was $7/mo.

• I am also very happy with winity.io have 2 vps in 2 locations and very stable ..

• colmcolm Member
    edited July 2014

Mothership1 had a $50 free credit and they have Windows VPS with hourly billing. Not sure if it still works but here's the link: https://www.mothership1.com/wiki_gcb/SignUp?promocode=cloud50

• sepeisepei Member

@colm said:
    Mothership1 had a $50 free credit and they have Windows VPS with hourly billing. Not sure if it still works but here's the link: https://www.mothership1.com/wiki_gcb/SignUp?promocode=cloud50

Still works

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

I would go also with winity.io. 7$ a month and the performance is great (vultr is also good, but much more expensive)

• J1021J1021 Member

Vultr is very good. Network speed, Disk I/O and CPU are all blazing fast.

If you only need it temporary you can load your own ISO and use a trial license key for Windows which allows you to run up to 6 months without any payment. Then you won't need to pay for the higher Vultr Windows packages.

If you need an ISO and trial key license, drop me a PM.

Thanked by 1IAreKyleW00t
  • wychwych Member

I would go with Winity.io

• Thanks everyone, Winity.io looks very promising. I also might go with 1e10's idea and just use the trial of a Windows ISO to save the money since it is temporary.

• @colm said:

Signup is not available?

• J1021J1021 Member

Falco33 said: Signup is not available?

They have an IP shortage at the moment. Try tomorrow.