Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you even CDN bro?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you even CDN bro?

wychwych Member

To cut a long story short I am curious how many people use a CDN and if another CDN would be welcome...

Do you use a CDN?

1. Do You Use a CDN?135 votes
    1. Yes - Self Hosted
      13.33%
    2. Yes - Commercial
      33.33%
    3. No - I haven't got round to it
      14.07%
    4. No - I have no interest in it
      14.81%
    5. Hahaha a CDN, it just slowed my site down!
      12.59%
    6. I lost local sites, my LEB is all I need!
      11.85%

Comments

• wychwych Member

"I lost local sites, my LEB is all I need!" is meant to be host not lost.

• cdn can actually be a lot helpful without you realising it if implemented properly

• wychwych Member

@zionvps said:
    cdn can actually be a lot helpful without you realising it if implemented properly

That it can, I am curious as to how people are implementing it and if there is space for another CDN.

• CoreyCorey Member

wych said: That it can, I am curious as to how people are implementing it and if there is space for another CDN.

I use cloudflare's CDN because of the additional DDOS protection that is provided.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • wychwych Member

@Corey said:

Was it the DDoS protection you went for and the CDN was a bonus or?

• CoreyCorey Member

wych said: Was it the DDoS protection you went for and the CDN was a bonus or?

Exactly :)

I like that the CDN reduces traffic to my server, but my sites aren't popular enough for that to really matter in my opinion.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Cloudflare just makes things slower and less reliable.

Thanked by 1c0y
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

I use cloudflare, even if sometimes is having hickups. Bit, generally, it works well, offers DDoS protection (even a small one) and use it also for it DNS capabilities

• CoreyCorey Member

shovenose said: Cloudflare just makes things slower and less reliable.

I haven't had that experience.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said:

Same here, works fine.

• SandyKSandyK Member

Actually, looking at a few at this moment and found the fastest to the regions I need to be covered. Price point it's not bad, either.

• Yes. I use Google Applications as a CDN for my Wordpress.

• I'm currently using the OnApp CDN. The other day it went down though and still isn't working. I'm thinking about moving to another one (maybe Amazon S3 or Cloudfront)

• Self-Hosted CDN was always my aim, i voted for it :D
    However not have time yet to implement it correctly. Still ahead!

• I use CDNify - but will be moving at the end of the year/end of my current quota. They switched from billing in blocks to monthly billing, and limited the number of zones.

I don't push a ton of bandwidth each month, but like having fast loading sites - and I have a ton of little sites. Looking at maybe KeyCDN when my quota is up, ~0.04/GB - so most months I'd only be paying $1.5-$3.

Thanked by 1VPN
  • @Profforg said:
    Self-Hosted CDN was always my aim, i voted for it :D
    However not have time yet to implement it correctly. Still ahead!

Have you found any existing software to set it all up? I'm in the process of building my own GhettoCDN™ for large files (video podcasts), so have a couple small dedi's and storage VPS's. Currently just doing it with manual upload, rsync'ing it all up, and then GeoDNS to pick the best server for the user.

• DanielDaniel Member

Pagespeed / Incapsula / Cloudflare for me

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited July 2014

mikeyur said: I don't push a ton of bandwidth each month, but like having fast loading sites - and I have a ton of little sites. Looking at maybe KeyCDN when my quota is up, ~0.04/GB - so most months I'd only be paying $1.5-$3.

keycdn is great for low bandwidth sites, the thing I dont like from them is it takes 50~700 ms for dns queries for their zones.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • Self hosted - a small army of nginx-rtmp-module servers for streaming events.

• Need a good hosted CDN tutorial!

• @mikeyur said:
    I use CDNify - but will be moving at the end of the year/end of my current quota. They switched from billing in blocks to monthly billing, and limited the number of zones.

I don't push a ton of bandwidth each month, but like having fast loading sites - and I have a ton of little sites. Looking at maybe KeyCDN when my quota is up, ~0.04/GB - so most months I'd only be paying $1.5-$3.

Hi @mikeyur, I'm Jamie from CDNify - Couldn't help but jump in on this to explain a few things.

Firstly, really glad you gave our service a try. We decided to change to monthly/yearly payments due to scalability and moving onto our own platform, something we couldn't do on the previous one and with the previous business model.

Now we have complete freedom to build features everyone wants, which we feel is a great direction to step in - Although, it’s important to stress that this is not a decision we have taken lightly, we even added an affordable plan of $10/m to help out those that don't use a lot of data.

Hopefully I've not ranted for too long ^^^, but if you decide to stay or if anyone's looking to get started with a CDN then use promo code AWESOMESPEED20 to get 20% off any plan.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

Well based on feedback in this thread I have something I am working on, depending how tests goes it might be opened up to the public...

Also to those that asked I will be writing a blog post about it and how it has been built.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • shovenose said: Cloudflare just makes things slower and less reliable.

If that's your opinion that means you're doing something terribly wrong.

• Cloudflare just makes things slower and less reliable.

It's 5% true & 95% False

I do have Commercial & Freebies CDN. @wych Why no Free CDN listed as an option?

• wychwych Member

Right, I have something put together in beta.

If you want to test it feel free to PM me.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Is a CDN like some sort of drug? I'd like to grow my own if so?

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

@Boxode said:
    Is a CDN like some sort of drug? I'd like to grow my own if so?

You're special you know that don't you?

• BoxodeBoxode Member

wych said: Your

You're*

Thank you.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

@Boxode said:
    You're*

+1.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited July 2014

I do, For 2.6MB in Images 900MS is pretty good to load it (Pingdom)