Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Classic VPS vs Kimsufi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Classic VPS vs Kimsufi

C0mpassC0mpass Member

So currently I have a OVH Classic VPS (25GB space one) for my websites which occasionally goes down etc. I just got a KS-2 and I'm wondering if I should move my stuff over to Kimsufi, or to keep using the vps (which has worked since ovh launched it).

Can I get some input into this?

Thanks.

TL;DR: Which is better, OVH Classic VPS or Kimsufi for webhosting.

Comments

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited June 2014

they both suck for mission-critical tasks, use Linode. /sarcasm

Many VPS providers here offer reliable and cheap VPS for your sites, for example Linode.

• Wasn't asking about another VPS host. I'm asking which is the better option of the two.

• @C0mpass said:
    Wasn't asking about another VPS host. I'm asking which is the better option of the two.

They are both not reliable enough to host important sites, and both slow as well. So I can't give you a preference from these two.

• @sundaymouse said:
    They are both not reliable enough to host important sites, and both slow as well. So I can't give you a preference from these two.

Okay thanks for that insight.

• DavidxDavidx Member

Just stick with what works. If the Kimsufi is cheaper than go for it. Dedicated hardware is always nice, but hard drive failure might be devastating if it goes out. Not sure if their VPS have raid which is usually better for such situations..

• @David_P said:
    Just stick with what works. If the Kimsufi is cheaper than go for it. Dedicated hardware is always nice, but hard drive failure might be devastating if it goes out. Not sure if their VPS have raid which is usually better for such situations..

Well it's kind of annoying how little space there is with the VPS range, I'm more wondering if the Atom CPU can handle websites.

• If you get the N2800 with nginx and caching, it would be fine. Depends on traffic of course.

• XeiXei Member

I have an OVH VPS in Canada and I'm happy with it. If it isn't meeting you needs it doesn't hurt to shop around and check out providers like RamNode, DO, Vultr, etc.

• Kimsufi, especially low end plans, are more likely to be used as a backup server, not something you should put a critical website on.

Same goes OVH VPS.

• If your site goes down due to a DDOS Go with the OVH VPS as it has OVH's Permanent Mitigation Where as SYS and Kimsufi have based on attacks which could take 30+ Seconds to activate.

• Use the OVH VPS and backup to Kimsufi, or the other way around!

• Kimsufi only has single hard drive so I wouldn't use it for anything critical, if you have a larger budget go with the OVH Cloud VPS, resources are Dedicated and you should find the performance to be much better than Classic VPS.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited June 2014

I use my KS-1 in RBX to host some hobby sites and rsync all content to a KS-1 in BHS. Obviously performance isn't going to be top notch but I've found it to be stable. My box has been on since I first ordered, 52 days uptime.

http://status.ovh.co.uk/?do=details&id=7152&PHPSESSID=843ab5648597d3a9ddcf5ad7e77f35f9

The link above describes a problem with vss-9a-6k, which is the second to last hop when tracing to my box. Sometimes I also see vss-9b-6k, so I guess something is redundant there, I didn't see any outages despite the above issues.

Over the past 52 days I've used 31.8TB of data transfer.

EDIT: Something to consider may be disk I/O. On the classic VPS range you're limited to around 11MB/s I/O, whereas you'll have the performance of your own disk on a Kimsufi. (Granted, no RAID 10 like the classic range.) If I were you I would move over your stuff to the Kimsufi, cancel the classic VPS and spend the £5 from that on a backup solution such as a storage VPS from VPSDime at $7. That comes with 500GB disk space, enough to sync all of your content from your Kimsufi, setup a MySQL slave etc. VPSDime have a London location too which will be ideal for connection speed between the two.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

2,40EUR with 10mb/s but Raid,

5,99EUR 120mb/s 500gig but without raid and you get Dedicated CPU,RAM etc..

but you could backup your data to other VPS so not a big deal and add some failover.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

For websites I would use the ovh vps as a reverse proxy and stick something with more power behind it, as the ovh vps has permanent mitigation and the KS line could need some time to trigger the protection, just yesterday one of my KS received a DDoS and it took 15 minutes for the server to recover.

• shammyshammy Member

Keep it simple. As the Kimsufi only has one hard drive while the VPS is (presumably) protected by RAID, I would keep the website hosted on that provided it suits your needs. It also means that you don't have to go through the effort of migrating the website as it's already there. You can then use the Kimsufi for regular backups.

Assuming your website is fairly low traffic, you won't have a problem hosting it on either box. Of course, if you're looking to let the VPS go then there's no reason you couldn't host the website on the Kimsufi, but you'd definitely want to make regular automated backups in that case as there is a definite possibility of data loss due to hard drive failure.

• i have both kimsufi n their classic vps (and also the vps 2014 with vmware)
    so far i must say kimsufi have better uptime, their ovz ramdomly goes down without saying why

but u must take in account about possible hdd fail as mentioned by david

• I also noticed my Classic VPS randomly reboots :/

• FiddeFidde Member

Keep it on the VPS and use the Kimsufi for backup! :)

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@Caveman122 said:
    If you get the N2800 with nginx and caching, it would be fine. Depends on traffic of course.

How much traffic the n2800 with 2 Gigs of ram can withstand?

@ahmiq 100Mbit Flat...

• ValdVald Member

thats the port, he was asking if he can output all of that I think, yet it depends on what you are doing and what you are serving. As long as the processor can handle you app/website you can max it.

Yes thats why i said 100Mbit Flat so atleast 33TB

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

ahmiq said: How much traffic the n2800 with 2 Gigs of ram can withstand?

I think the best way to answer that is "all of it".

Thanked by 1vedran
  • @ahmiq said:

I have about 500 visitors per day on the server, I am seeing negligible load, so I can not say for sure what it could handle. I am running nginx,PHP5.5 with opcache and redis.

If you would like me to run an ab test let me know.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited June 2014

@hostnoob said:
    I also noticed my Classic VPS randomly reboots :/

Me too. It's not very frequent though, on my BHS Classic VPS maybe once or twice a week. However they do not give advance notice before reboots. Last time it was probably due to the OpenVZ security update, as I see that the VPS is running 2.6.32-042stab090.5 now.

• FredQcFredQc Member

I can confirm that my Classic VPS at BHS reboots often and is not really reliable. Talked to the support about it and they don't believe me... haha. It rebooted 3 times in June.

But I do run a production site on a KS-4 with no problem. I scheduled backups with synch every night so no problem here. The KS-4 has been proved reliable and fast, at least, for me.

Fred

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

If you really care, subscribe to RSS of http://status.ovh.net/ , at least kernel updates on the VPS service are pre-announced there.

Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • @hwdsl2 said:

Ah yep, I checked the link @rm_ posted and my uptime of 4 days corresponds with their OpenVZ update