Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long does it take to activate?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long does it take to activate?

TazTaz Member
edited June 2012 in Root

So I have applied for an account here yesterday ( let) and still yet to receive any confirmation. I have seen some nice discussion's here today but unfortunately can not comment. How ever, some how I am able to by pass new thread creation. So any idea what is going on?

Comments

• Wait

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

When I first signed up it was around 2 days for the application to be accepted.

• VictorVictor Member

Wait, there's an activation process for LET? I never knew that, and it was instant when I first signed up, but I think that was back when LEA ran it.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Jack said: It was to stop the anon Cyprus twat.

Don't give twat's a bad name

• DerekDerek Member

@Jack said: It was to stop the anon Cyprus twat.

It did?!?, but what would stop him from simple looking up a proxy on a residential IP and coming with a different personality.

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited June 2012

Was going to make a crack on the speed of posts on LEB in correlation with your activation time, but that's actually doing okay (for now).

• TazTaz Member

Yes Accepted :) Thanks.

• @Jack said: what would stop him from simple looking up a proxy on a residential IP and coming with a different personality.

If he looks up a proxy, that means it's an open proxy (and probably on a common port). All Chief has to do is a quick nmap.

• @DimeCadmium said: All Chief has to do is a quick nmap.

Doing "a quick nmap" is on the borderline to the illegal (and considered illegal by many hosters/networks).

• rds100rds100 Member

And Chief has much more important things to fix anyway, instead of doing nmap.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: is on the borderline to the illegal

I'm not sure where you live but i can portscan the internet as much as i want all day long around here...

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @William said: I'm not sure where you live but i can portscan the internet as much as i want all day long around here...

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portscanner#Rechtliche_Aspekte

Thanked by 1nabo
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@William said: portscan the internet as much as i want

I thought it was illegal too

• DamianDamian Member

Here's a giant block of text about the legalities of port scanning: http://nmap.org/book/legal-issues.html

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Doing "a quick nmap" is on the borderline to the illegal (and considered illegal by many hosters/networks).

Uhh... not in the US, and doubtful in Australia. Some portscanning (i.e. choosing a random IP and scanning it) is, perhaps, against TOS. If it was illegal, then why does almost every IRC network have a proxy scanner that does the equivalent of an nmap?

• i created naruto_man1 a couple months back and have never heard of approval yet. LEA sleeping.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

In Austria, the simple Portscan is not illegal. It is only illegal if the user knows that the Portscan can cause damage or disfunction to the host. Well, and this knowledge has to be proven by the state authorities.