Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange network issue - dedicated server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange network issue - dedicated server.

myhkenmyhken Member
edited June 2014 in General

Hello. Helping out a friend thats have a dedicated server @ Hetzner in Germany.

The server has a 1 gbit connection, but he is only guaranteed 200 mbit. When he runs speedtest.net against servers in Norway, he gets 200-400mbit without any issues.
Thats on a Windows server. (both ways)

But wen he run test on Linux VPS (using Hyper-V) the speed is max around 50mbit, often only less then 10mbit.

Using FTP on the Windows server, he only gets speeds around 50 down to 10 mbit. (from Norway)

Downloading files on the server gives max speeds. Transferring files between Hetzner datacenters gives up to 800mbit.

But uploading files from the server to different FTP Servers in Europe gives between 10 and 50mbit. Downloading from the same servers, gives 200-400mbit.

I have used tracert and can't find any issues with the routing.

Hetzner support says that nothing is wrong on their side.

He just changed OS on the dedicated server from Server 2012 R2 to Server 2008 R2, but still the same issue with speeds.

I'm out of ideas, where to look, what can be wrong?

Thanked by 1MSPNick

Comments

• said: But wen he run test on Linux VPS (using Hyper-V) the speed is max around 50mbit, often only less then 10mbit.

How are you measuring this? Try speedtest-cli/speedtest.net and cachefly with the same servers and --inet4-only/disable ipv6 for both windows and linux.

• blackblack Member

Try adding

net.core.rmem_max=16777216
    net.core.wmem_max=16777216
    net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 87380 16777216
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 65536 16777216

to /etc/sysctl.conf, then run

sysctl -p

You can also speedtest with

wget dl.getipaddr.net/speedtest.EU.sh -O - | bash 
  • FredQcFredQc Member

@black said:
    Try adding

net.core.rmem_max=16777216
    net.core.wmem_max=16777216
    net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 87380 16777216
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 65536 16777216

to /etc/sysctl.conf, then run sysctl -p

I was told that this only works on KVM VPS ?

• myhkenmyhken Member

Will try that, but still, he gets the same slow speeds when he try to upload files with FTP direct from the dedicated server (with Windows). And downloading files from the server with FTP is slow.
    But using FTP on the server to download files from the same places, gives max speed.

why?

• J1021J1021 Member

Does the server have any sort of rescue mode?

• myhkenmyhken Member

@1e10 said:
    Does the server have any sort of rescue mode?

It's a dedicated windows server. I think he has KVM over IP access if thats what you asking for?
    But as I wrote, he has the same issue both in Windows Server 2012 R2 and on Windows Server 2008 R2, after a complete reinstalling of the server OS and drivers.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited June 2014

VPS vs Dedicated, maybe arent located on same place, or diff connection

• blackblack Member
    edited June 2014

@FredQc said:
    I was told that this only works on KVM VPS ?

Worth a try. I know doesn't work on OpenVZ but might have an effect on other virtualized environments.

myhken said: Will try that, but still, he gets the same slow speeds when he try to upload files with FTP direct from the dedicated server (with Windows). And downloading files from the server with FTP is slow. But using FTP on the server to download files from the same places, gives max speed.

why?

There's a very simple explanation to this. Just apply it to a shared connection to a rack instead of to a dedicated server, same concept.

• myhkenmyhken Member

But why do he get around 400 mbit BOTH ways using speedtest.net, and 10 seconds later just get 10-30 mbit out via FTP, and then 10 seconds later still gets 400 mbit BOTH ways with speedtest.net?

I'm talking direct on the windows dedicated server, with all VPS turned off.

• blackblack Member

@myhken said:
    But why do he get around 400 mbit BOTH ways using speedtest.net, and 10 seconds later just get 10-30 mbit out via FTP, and then 10 seconds later still gets 400 mbit BOTH ways with speedtest.net?

I'm talking direct on the windows dedicated server, with all VPS turned off.

Maybe the routes to the FTP server is crappy?
    Are you selecting speedtest locations closer to the FTP server or to your dedicated server?

• J1021J1021 Member

Would it be possible to put a test file on the server and allow us to download from it?

• myhkenmyhken Member

black said: Maybe the routes to the FTP server is crappy?

thats was my first idea, but running tracert shows excellent routing to the FTP locations.

black said: Are you selecting speedtest locations closer to the FTP server or to your dedicated server?

Close to the FTP locations.

I have to say that the issue is not just to ONE FTP locations. the issue is to several FTP locations in Norway and Italy.
    Speedtest.net gives around 400 mbit to Norway (really close to the FTP location) both ways, and around 200 mbit both ways to Italy. (in the same city as the FTP server)

That testing ON the server.

Also when we try to download files direct from the server on several locations both in Norway and Italy the speed is 10-50 mbit. Thats on 100mbit connections from several ISP. In different cities.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited June 2014

@1e10 said:
    Would it be possible to put a test file on the server and allow us to download from it?

For max one hour, you can use this FTP server:
    username: test1
    password: Test_01

Please post any download (and maybe upload speeds) here

• blackblack Member

From torqhost, my server to yours

ftp> put 100mb.test
    local: 100mb.test remote: 100mb.test
    200 PORT command successful.
    125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting.
    226 Transfer complete.
    105267156 bytes sent in 8.45 secs (12172.2 kB/s)

ftp> get 100mb.test
    local: 100mb.test remote: 100mb.test
    local: 100mb.test: Permission denied

• edited June 2014

myhken said: Please post any download (and maybe upload speeds) here

1048576000 bytes received in 107 secs (9794.14 Kbytes/sec)

1052639308 bytes sent in 111 secs (9523.56 Kbytes/sec)

From NL Bandwagonhost's VPS (IP:192.243.126.90).

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited June 2014

-------------Speed test--------------------

Testing EU locations Speedtest from Tallinn, Estonia on a shared 1 Gbps port Download Speed: 20.08 MB/sec Upload speed: 1.16 MB/sec Speedtest from Milan, Italy [ generously donated by http://www.prometeus.net ] on a shared 1 Gbps port Download Speed: 0 MB/sec Upload speed: .01 MB/sec Speedtest from Frankfurt am Main, Germany [ generously donated by http://www.prometeus.net ] on a shared 1 Gbps port Download Speed: .01 MB/sec Upload speed: .01 MB/sec Speedtest from Bucharest, Romania [ generously donated by http://www.prometeus.net ] on a semi-dedicated 1 Gbps port Download Speed: 29.81 MB/sec Upload speed: 1.25 MB/sec Speedtest from Amsterdam, Netherlands on a shared 100 Mbps port Download Speed: 31.46 MB/sec Upload speed: 2.85 MB/sec ---------------CPU test-------------------- CPU: 4 x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz Time taken to generate PI to 5000 decimal places with a single thread: 0m20.996s ----------------IO test------------------- Writing 1000MB file to disk (1.1 GB) copied, 2.74672 s, 391 MB/s

• blackblack Member
    edited June 2014

It looks like a saturated upload link in your cabin. Also, sorry, the Italy and Germany server are not working properly at the moment. Will try to get that fixed soon.

• myhkenmyhken Member

Some more info:
    My friend has one more dedicated server in the same DC without any issues at all.
    So at the same time, one server gives good network speeds, and the other not.
    Can there be any issue with the network card?

• blackblack Member

myhken said: Some more info: My friend has one more dedicated server in the same DC without any issues at all. So at the same time, one server gives good network speeds, and the other not. Can there be any issue with the network card?

It could be a hardware issue but the more likely explanation is that your dedicated server was put on a rack with "abusers" that hog the upload bandwidth. Your friend had better luck than you.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • said: But uploading files from the server to different FTP Servers in Europe gives between 10 and 50mbit.

Many providers limit incoming speed per connection and per IP. It's usual to be 10 - 50 mbits per second. There are no way to offload network overwise. This is something you should take as is.

said: But wen he run test on Linux VPS (using Hyper-V)

Hyper-V should not be used to virtualize Linux or FreeBSD. It's not perfomance-friendly.

• Profforg said: Hyper-V should not be used to virtualize Linux or FreeBSD. It's not perfomance-friendly.

CentOS 6 now has windows support (as in hyper-v) out of the box.