Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is only one site on my VPS but it has shared IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

There is only one site on my VPS but it has shared IP

hayvanhayvan Member

First of all sorry for my English. I think I could not explain properly on the title. Well, I created a droplet on DO, installed cPanel. I have created an unlimited user account in the WHM panel for our eCommerce site. But the IP seems shared and there is no chance to buy dedicated IP at DO. We would like to host only one site on the server. I bought SSL certificate (domain) but not sure it will work on shared IP or not.

What should I do?

Comments

• Should be fine as long as whatever web server you are using support SNI (Server Name Identification).

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • GunterGunter Member

Yeah you should've transitioned to SNI by now. If you still have support for obsolete problems, they'll have security problems on their end regardless.

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • hayvanhayvan Member

The webserver is Apache. It supports that "SNI" by default or should I install a module or something like that? Please consider me as a newbie :)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

The IP address is dedicated to your VM.

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • DylanDylan Member

A dedicated IP address for the VPS and a dedicated IP address inside cPanel are two entirely different things. Your Digital Ocean IP address is dedicated to your droplet; there's no such thing as a shared IP there. When cPanel says the IP is "shared" it just means that any sites you make inside cPanel will share the same IP. If you only have one site on the VPS, then nothing's actually getting shared.

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • hayvanhayvan Member

It's a little bit offtopic but can I ask why I cannot connect the page with IP address? When I try it, it shows cPanel default page. Also with hostname too. I remember that I assigned the IP to account.

• you can read what default page says,it's usually inform you to replace default index in some path

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited June 2014

If you have only IP in cPanel, it will be the main shared IP, and it cannot de assigned as dedicated ip to an account within cPanel. However you will be able to install SSL for your domain on that IP, with/without SNI.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@CharlesA said:
    Should be fine as long as whatever web server you are using support SNI (Server Name Identification).

CPanel uses Apache and supports SNI in their latest releases.
    Like it already been said, your IP is dedicated to your Droplet but shared among your sites created in cPanel.

It will show the default apache page instead of your site since thats what set in the cPanel configuration (default site).

If you enabled it in the cPanel configuration, you can visit your site with http:///~username

You don't need a SAN SSL, a regular cheap SSL will do fine.
    http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/InstallCert

• hayvanhayvan Member

Hello again,

I have installed PositiveSSL and it works great. I have to say that the Lowendtalk is one of the best site I've ever seen. There are many experienced and helpful people here. I asked some more questions before and got very fast replies like these.

Thank you very much.

• Connect to the SSL (https://) URL on your VPS IP Address to port 2087 to login to your WHM interface.