Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full system back up
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Full system back up

Caveman122Caveman122 Member
edited June 2014 in Help

How would you go about backing up your VPS/Dedi so that when disaster strikes, you could recovery the fastest with minimal effort and time?

So far all I got is rsync or rsnapshot.

Best option for full system back up
  1. Best tool to backup VPS/Dedi20 votes
    1. Rsync/Rsnapshot
      60.00%
    2. R1Soft/Idera
      40.00%
    3. Bacula
        0.00%
    4. BackupPC
        0.00%

Comments

• serverianserverian Member
    edited June 2014

The best way is to use something like R1Soft/Idera, Bacula or BackupPC. That way, you can do full bare metal restores.

Check my signature for R1Soft licenses. :p

Thanked by 1Caveman122
  • socialssocials Member
    edited June 2014

I just tar what I need; encrypt the archive and scp it to another host.

Edit: Alright, that's not actually a full system backup.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2014

I prefer R1Soft over Bacula but it can be a PITA to setup, the documentation is crap and can be a bit temperamental.

• R1Soft is amazing.

• Right now, my strategy is to do a sql dump, rsync production files. Make a tar of them and send it to my backup server through SSH. The backup server will then push tar files to AWS glacier. The issue is that I have to setup the production environment again if things go terribly wrong.

• For windows i would use Acronis, For linux rsync

• oceanocean Member
    edited June 2014

R1soft is good, but the recovery progress is slow if you have too much recoverypoint.
    Also MySQL recovery feature is not working very well, sometimes the progress never finish even you are recover a small table only.( System show backup success, but recovery never success.)

• Why does no one like Duplicity? :P

That's what I've been using to backup to S3. You can push directly to AWS and have everything encrypted / compressed. Just dump SQL first.

• For now i use BackupPC but be sure you check the speed between the server and backup server otherwise it will take long.

• FalzoFalzo Member

rsync to mirror anything on a daily base to second server and attic (very good deduplication) to snapshot that daily mirror every day to a third location.
    so in case of failure one can easily use rsync to restore from direct mirror or otherwise restore any date back from those attic-snapshots and get the needed or all files from there...

additionally for mysql purposes I use automysqlbackup to have auto-rotated backups local (which are than inside of backup mentioned above), like @Silvenga mentioned - dump mysql first ;-)