Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much.

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited June 2012 in General

How much would someone be willing to pay to rent a server like this?

AMD Phenom x2 Quad core
4GB of ram
500GB HDD
10M/bit

Got some spare room and a few FREE amd parts :D

Comments

• By spare room, do you mean in your basement? or in a data center?

• @Insidiea said: By spare room, do you mean in your basement? or in a data center?

In my datacenter :), I have 2U's of free space that I dont see my self filling.

• Maybe $60 a month?

• $40?

• But the issue is 10mbit, that would be a real killer. I would say max is $40/m because of the 10mbit.

• yomeroyomero Member

@miTgiB said: Here's one for $50

Not a Quad.

• @yomero said: Not a Quad.

slammed

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@yomero said: Not a Quad.

Sorry, the quad is $60

• subigosubigo Member

For what it's worth, Datashack did x4's with the same specs on a Gbit port (and free DirectAdmin) for $39/month a few months back.

• DamianDamian Member

Any option for better transfer?

• @bijan588 said: 10M/bit

facepalm

Thanked by 1nabo
  • debugdebug Member

If you could put it on a metered 100mbit port, I'd be interested

• @debug said: If you could put it on a metered 100mbit port, I'd be interested

I can do that.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited June 2012

$40-$60 with a metered 100mbps port is my guess. With 10mbps, it's $30-$40 imo.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2012

$40-$60 really?
    Let's take a midpoint $50. Today it's 40 Euro.
    Now see what you get for 39.99 Euro at http://www.kimsufi.ie/ks/
    Or for 42 Euro at https://www.hetzner.de/page_us.htm
    So I'd say more like $20 with the 10 Mbit port, $25 at most with 100 Mbit

• @rm_ said: Now see what you get for 39.99 Euro at http://www.kimsufi.ie/ks/

Or for 42 Euro at https://www.hetzner.de/page_us.htm
    So I'd say more like $20 with the 10 Mbit port, $25 at most with 100 Mbit

Yes, and that's super-low-end. (And Hetzner is either crappy or decent depending on your luck).

Most dedi hosts will be well above their prices.

edited June 2012

Really? So Hetzner is super low end... with their 16 GB of RAM quadcore server, w/2x3TB drives? What exactly "super low end" means in context of these specs? Or do you mean "low end" means it'll be somehow crappy. But then same can be said about "most VPS companies have prices well above what's on LEB" -- and yet we know a lot of LEB-featured hosts provide exceptionally good service. Cheap != necessarily bad.

@Jack
    yep and my point is that just like the VPS market, the dedi market already changes in the same direction, except that the major influencer here is not LEB, but OVH and Hetzner.

• nabonabo Member

Then again, others are quite happy with OVH and Hetzner.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2012

@rm_ said: Really? So Hetzner is super low end... with their 16 GB of RAM quadcore server, w/2x3TB drives? What exactly "super low end" means in context of these specs? Or do you mean "low end" means it'll be somehow crappy. But then same can be said about "most VPS companies have prices well above what's on LEB" -- and yet we know a lot of LEB-featured hosts provide exceptionally good service. Cheap != necessarily bad.

Uhh. I never said cheap was bad. I said Hetzner specifically is bad. And as far as prices? Yes, they are super-low-end, dedi's of those spec's most places would cost much more. Just like LEB's aren't right for everyone, cheap dedi's aren't either.

• nabonabo Member

@DimeCadmium said: I said Hetzner specifically is bad

What's so bad about Hetzner?

• @rm_ You can not compare prices in the US vs EU. Very different market.

BTW, any US host with more than 100K servers?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@hostingwizard_net said: BTW, any US host with more than 100K servers?

Very out of date but...

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/05/14/whos-got-the-most-web-servers/

edited June 2012

@hostingwizard_net said: any US host with more than 100K servers?

http://www.ovh.com/us/ 360 000 servers planned (okay, not "US" host).

• @nabo said: What's so bad about Hetzner?

My good friend, who's server I used for a while, hosted with Hetzner for a half year or so. Constant issues, "we fixed it!", then the same issue popped up "oh it must have been the OTHER stick of RAM!", again "oh maybe it's some other part!", again...

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@DimeCadmium said: again...

Mh, I've 3 servers with Hetzner since 2008 and only one hardware-failure so far. But given that that specific server is running 24/7 since 2008 it's quite predictable I would say (it was a harddisk failure that also showed up via SMART before). So far I just happened to have a rather good experience with Hetzner.

• Like I said, it seems some people get lucky and some don't. Some people have good experiences, some people have horrible ones.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2012

Ok, so just to point out some of the obvious.... If a server is rented by a group like OVH/Hetzner at low cost its because of a few things:

1. They have already ROI'd so they can afford to rent the server cheaper because the hardware is paid for and their cost is only in power/network connectivity. (Not always the case, sometimes the ROI is over many many years, depends on how the provider intends to recover their investment and over what period of time)

2. Since the server is already ROI'd (or probably run for several years anyway) then the hardware has probably already experienced a lifetime of running, meaning your drives, ram and CPU have probably seen years of operations and your hard drives have probably seen millions if not billions of read/writes.

3. Since the hardware is getting older, it is not uncommon for hardware to ware out, especially hard drives. So the fact you might during renting the lower end of their servers need to replace hardware should not be surprising.

All this being said, I am not per se a fan of OVH or Hetzner, but you should seriously consider what you are getting/paying for when you are purchasing from groups like this. Some hardware issues should be expected over time when renting their oldest run of servers. Also there should be no room to bitch and complain when these things happen. (Which sounds like what @DimeCadmium is doing here... not picking on you buddy, but it seems like the above probably never entered your mind...)

Seriously though people, remember, you get what you pay for. If you want a hard core dependable server to run your operations... then purchase your OWN servers and co-locate them your self. Do not rely on a business who's goal is to continuously rent all of their hardware and run it till it dies to recover their costs to give you a brand new server when you sign-up with them. It is not in their business model to do so on the low end. Unless your spending a lot of money on their larger/newer servers, in which case you may get some new equipment... but your gonna pay for it also.

Just my 2 cents..

Cheers!

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @DimeCadmium said: Like I said, it seems some people get lucky and some don't. Some people have good experiences, some people have horrible ones.

Mhm and this happens with every host out there. Just because your friend had a bad experience, does not make them a bad host.

They from what I hear are pretty good with replacing hardware. In fact, someone I know recently had a failed RAM stick on his server, after about 200 days uptime. He contacted them, they tested the hardware and within 4 hours his server was back online, with new RAM.