Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostigation vs Digital Ocean?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostigation vs Digital Ocean?

I know this might be like comparing apples to oranges (since it is OpenVZ to KVM), but I'm currently paying for both hosts and considering dropping one to save some money.
Hostigation: I currently use OpenVZ (paying $60 a year):
1 total GB of RAM
50 GB HDD
1 TB Bandwidth
1 CPU Core

DigitalOcean (paying $5 a month, so the same $60 a year) does KVM:
512 MB RAM, but I can add whatever I need for swap (usually between 1 and 4 GB) and it runs alright
20 GB SSD
1 TB Bandwidth
1 CPU core
I have seen times where Hostigation was slow, and each instance seemed to have been someone else's fault (someone abusing their VPS). Haven't seen that on Digital Ocean, and so I am considering moving my whole site to there.
I just had to reinstall Debian on Hostigation since my VM was hit with the ebury trojan. Everything is clean now, but now would be a time to move, if ever, since I have backups locally made.
I also host my DNS with Hostigation, but I also have a domain with them... Does anyone know if they allow people to use DNS if they only have a domain?

Which would you go with, if you were in this situation?
  1. Digital Ocean, Hostigation, or someone else?58 votes
    1. Hostigation
      24.14%
    2. Digital Ocean
      37.93%
    3. Someone else
      37.93%

Comments

• Vultr.

• Vultr!

• DigitalOcean <3

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

DO.

Or you can cancel both and get an $10 Linode for the same price.

• GTRsdkGTRsdk Member

Unfortunately Hostigation requires me to have a VPS active for DNS hosting...
    So it seems that I would have to find DNS hosting elsewhere.

Hostigation uses a SolusVM system for management like that, and I can learn similar things. Most of my domains are hosted at Namecheap, however, I have 1 hosted at Hostigation.

• GTRsdkGTRsdk Member

@Liam said:
    Hostigation all the way. Team Tim.

While I like Tim, I also need to cut down on my costs. There are some things I just cannot run on a Hostigation VPS, due to incidents where the VPS has issues due to someone else abusing the node.

I haven't had that problem on Digital Ocean, however. I can run a Minecraft server, for example, on the smallest droplet at Digital Ocean.
    It might lag a little bit, but $5 a month can get me and 4 or so players online rather comfortably.
    I could even run P2Pool for Dogecoin (running P2pool and Dogecoin managed to cause my Hostigation VPS to basically crash and burn, and the mailserver went with it ;( )

• GTRsdkGTRsdk Member

@eddynetweb said:
    Vultr.

Do you use Vultr for your site?
    What about for all the servers at https://eddynetweb.co/status/ ?
    What package did you choose for your Game Server?
    Sorry for all the questions lol but I am curious

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited June 2014

My game server is running on a cheap ChicagoVPS (server 2) server, as my website, mail, resolver is on server 1. Server 3 operates as a cluster and backup server.

I have tested Vultr though, it is great! It also has nice locations. However, I don't use them for anything on the list.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

I use Vultr for some production sites and they are great allthough they still don't offer their promised free DDoS protection.

• XeiXei Member
    edited June 2014

Hostigation was my #1 provider for at least a year. The past half year they've really gone down hill, maybe longer than that. The network connectivity and performance has been subpar compared to every other provider I have now. At some point they stopped being quality -- I'd go with DO, Ramnode, really anything should be better than Hostigation at this point IMO... (I've never used DO but I'd still recommend them over Hostigation!)

Edit: I only have used the Hostigation NC location (OVZ) so maybe they better maintain the other location but I wouldn't recommend them based on my experiences.

edited June 2014

Xei said: The past half year they've really gone down hill

And that is why you should never ever prepay for a whole year, especially if it's not the typical $12-15; with a larger sum like $60 in the OP's case, it's a no-brainer to cancel that on the first opportunity. At other providers today you can get better deals and/or better quality while being able to pay month-to-month (and leave them freely if any problems arise).

Thanked by 1Xei
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Hostigation all the way. I've never once had a problem with them.

Thanked by 2Infinity miTgiB
  • GTRsdkGTRsdk Member
    edited June 2014

@matthewvz said:
    Hostigation all the way. I've never once had a problem with them.

Do you use their KVM or OpenVZ VPSs?

• DigitalOcean is good..

@GTRsdk said:
    Do you use their KVM or OpenVZ VPSs?

OpenVZ but their KVM's are good also so I've heard.

• GTRsdkGTRsdk Member

@matthewvz said:
    OpenVZ but their KVM's are good also so I've heard.

The OpenVZ hosted in Charlotte?
    I have one hosted in Charlotte right now, and it had several issues within the last 24 hours

Thanked by 1Xei
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

OP, only you can answer this question as you already have experiences on both, and you understand your needs better than we do.

@GTRsdk said:
    I have one hosted in Charlotte right now, and it had several issues within the last 24 hours

Mine is in LA. Remember that there is a very critical bug in OpenVZ which could cause a few issues.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • XeiXei Member
    edited June 2014

My experience is the issues are sometimes short-lived but recurring far too often (network / connectivity issues, performance issues, IPV6 issues). The issues have been recurring since Fall 2013 to make Hostigation by far the worst provider ever for me (formerly was my top / #1!). Once they started to diversify (re: acquired HighSpeedWeb) last Fall (technically end of Summer) -- this company went steadily and quickly down hill. They're riding on their glory days but that can only carry you so far IMO.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited June 2014

@GTRsdk - I've had a Hostigation KVM in LA for 6 months, been using DO for a year.
    Tim is great, the KVM is so/so when compared to DO. As you said DO is more consistent.

• Strangely my vote goes to vultr as well.

• Hostigation. I don't have a server with them anymore, but when I did (in LAX, not CLT), it was top-notch.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • tommytommy Member

DO for sure.

• GTRsdkGTRsdk Member
    edited June 2014

I just reinstalled my droplet (in the process of getting everything moved over), and it looks like DO now, by default, has people use DO's mirrors (mirrors.digitalocean.com) on the Debian 7 x64 image (not sure about others).

It blows the ftp.debian.org mirror out of the water, in terms of speed :D

edited June 2014

GTRsdk said: has people use DO's mirrors (mirrors.digitalocean.com)

...and they are STILL doing this completely wrong; the hostname points at 4 IPv4 addresses, one per location, and one IPv6 (SG).

mirrors.digitalocean.com has address 198.199.99.226
    mirrors.digitalocean.com has address 95.85.0.50
    mirrors.digitalocean.com has address 103.253.144.50
    mirrors.digitalocean.com has address 192.241.164.26
    mirrors.digitalocean.com has IPv6 address 2400:6180:0:1::10

Which one you end up downloading from, depends purely on luck. As currently, they have SG droplets randomly downloading from their NL datacenter, then NY ones downloading from SG, etc. What they should have done, is to use different hostnames per location ("mirror.sg.digitalocean.com", etc). So I suggest that you remove that brainfart of theirs from your sources.list and instead add an official mirror closest to your droplet (ftp.COUNTRYCODE.debian.org).

• J1021J1021 Member

said: Does anyone know if they allow people to use DNS if they only have a domain?

Just find a new DNS provider, DO provide this I believe.

rm_ said: ...and they are STILL doing this completely wrong; the hostname points at 4 IPv4 addresses, one per location, and one IPv6 (SG).

Yeh have noticed this, it's stupid.

Thanked by 1GTRsdk
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Hostigation all the way. Very satisfied customer here!

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • TWoTWo Member

@GTRsdk said:
    Most of my domains are hosted at Namecheap, however, I have 1 hosted at Hostigation.

You can host the not-already-with-Namecheap domains with Namecheap's FreeDNS

• @rm_ said:
    So I suggest that you remove that brainfart of theirs from your sources.list and instead add an official mirror closest to your droplet (ftp.COUNTRYCODE.debian.org).

Or add a DNS record to /etc/hosts to force the nearest IP address.

Thanked by 2GTRsdk howardsl2