Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicube Dedicated Servers (1 Month)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicube Dedicated Servers (1 Month)

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

When Dedicube posted their offer on an E3 server in buffalo for $49, I decided to take a chance as I am known to do.

My server was provisioned within 48 Hours and I had to do the OS install as the data center that they are using refused to install Proxmox on my behalf, which was fine because I've set up Promox over IPMI / KVM more times than I can count.

I kept running into an issue which I later discovered thanks to @Serverian was attributed to my lack of knowledge surrounding Proxmox and NIC drivers. So I requested a refund and within minutes was granted the refund.

When @Serverian pointed out a couple of solutions to the problem, I quickly opened a ticket and requested to attempt to repair the install issue. @Steven_F quickly responded back informing me the server was still online and that I was welcome to give it a try. After attempting the first fix which was to install debian wheezy first and then proxmox, I failed an asked if I could be changed to a different config, @Steven_F not only made that happen, but also gave me the remainder of the month free of charge.

I have to say that Dedicube and @Steven_F have been absolutely phenomenal in terms of support and communication. So much so as I will also be moving my Chicago node over to his company as well.

These guys are doing it right.

And Now the Bencmark:

root@buffalo:~# bash bench.sh 
CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
Number of cores : 8
CPU frequency :  3400.264 MHz
Total amount of ram : 16017 MB
Total amount of swap : 15359 MB
System uptime :   2 days, 3:01,       
Download speed from CacheFly: 13.9MB/s 
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 38.3MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 29.3MB/s 
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.86MB/s 
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 8.79MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 39.2MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.67MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 20.9MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 19.4MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 65.2MB/s 
I/O speed :  79.6 MB/s

Comments

• @agoldenberg Thanks for the review! A lot of things are going to be changing in the coming months and hopefully for the better. It's going to start with a new site in a few weeks and hopefully end with 24x7 live support (one that doesn't end in you always having to open a ticket to actually get support :P). I really appreciate the kind words and your business, and as always, if you ever need anything: I'm there to help.

• wychwych Member

Sounds good, may consider them if I need another dedi anytime soon!

• @wych said:
    Sounds good, may consider them if I need another dedi anytime soon!

Shoot us a ticket any time!

• StevieStevie Member

That sounds really awesome!

@Steven_F

I love to see threads like this, grats to you and your company, wish you success in the long run.

I wish I had $50 to kill a month, but the only servers I could afford is the http://www.kimsufi.com/ but those set up fee kills me :-P

Any chance for cheap dedicated arm devices? I am still waiting for my dream of a dedicated raspberry pi for $4 a month :/

• @Stevie said:

We're actually no longer running the $49 a month special. It was very popular and we ran out of stock pretty quickly.

• Bookmarked that website already for my next dedicated.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

said: I/O speed : 79.6 MB/s

Seems a bit low on Disk I/O. What type of drive are they using?

Thanked by 1toshost
  • @srvrpro said:
    Bookmarked that website already for my next dedicated.

Awesome! We look forward to you joining the DediCube family. Feel free to open a sales ticket any time with any questions that you might have.

@qps said:
    Seems a bit low on Disk I/O. What type of drive are they using?

I don't know if he upgraded off the top of my head, but the Crazy Cube came with a single 500 GB hard drive, which is about what one of them will perform.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@steven_f @qps didn't upgrade the drive however my machine has a 1TB drive in it.

@qps I do agree that the io seems low. Usually the drives supplied in your servers are over 100MB/S

• @agoldenberg, give me an hour or two (I'm about to hit the road) and I'll check to see what hard drive is in your server. It might be a Black, which I believe are a bit slower than REs or Constellations.

• Nawl, even a black WD can hit over 100MB/s.

• @catalystium said:
    Nawl, even a black WD can hit over 100MB/s.

Odd, I'll take a look when I can.

edited June 2014
    === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Device Model:     ST31000524AS
    Serial Number:    5VPB9HZL
    LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 048f1692a
    Firmware Version: JC4B
    User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
    Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
    Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
    ATA Version is:   8
    ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4
    Local Time is:    Thu Jun 26 20:21:17 2014 EDT
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

• RyanDRyanD Member

@Steven_F said:
    agoldenberg, give me an hour or two (I'm about to hit the road) and I'll check to see what hard drive is in your server. It might be a Black, which I believe are a bit slower than REs or Constellations.

Black and RE are the same hardware platform, just different firmware revs, primarily only difference is TLER.

• @agoldenberg said:

O.o I just took a look at all of our other servers and none of them have Seagates. I did notice that one or two had non-enterprise hard drives, however the absolute vast majority had REs and there were one or two Blacks. If the desktop hardware is a problem, shoot me a ticket and I'll get a Western Digital RAID Edition drive thrown in ASAP.

• Nice support though :-), shame I missed this $49 E3 deal!

The support is incredible! @steven_f is an awesome down to earth dude as seen here and in my tickets.

• @catalystium said:
    Nice support though :-), shame I missed this $49 E3 deal!

I've been working very hard to make sure that support is top-notch. Being a smaller shop allows me to be a bit more personable and friendly. I know most of my clients and will always take time to talk to them. We have a BurstNet refugee deal running that's still very competitive, plus a SSD VPS node special that is CRAYZAY.

@agoldenberg said:
    steven_f is an awesome down to earth dude

Oh stop it, you're making me blush! But keep going... :P

• @Steven_F said:

I'm sure its not as crazy as that E3 deal, but I would like to hear more :-).

@catalystium I have an E3 deal with Dedicube but as soon as they have my Chicago node ready I'd be willing to transfer it to you if they will allow it.

• @agoldenberg said:
    catalystium I have an E3 deal with Dedicube but as soon as they have my Chicago node ready I'd be willing to transfer it to you if they will allow it.

Neat idea if they allow it.

Well its up for renewal on the 7th of July. Of my Chicago box isn't provisioned by then then you might even get a free month out of me :)

Thanked by 1catalystium
  • I've got mine too and it works great, just wondering if maybe they will allow upgrades to it if need be.

@dragoon0309 you can upgrade. All you have to do is ask.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

agoldenberg said: ST31000524AS

We have a few of these drives in service and ours usually perform better than ~80MB/s - more like in the 100-120MB/s range.

Do you have the controller set to AHCI in the BIOS?

• @agoldenberg said:

Gotcha, we'll see what @Steven_F says about it :-).

• @Dragoon0309 said:
    I've got mine too and it works great, just wondering if maybe they will allow upgrades to it if need be.

Any time, just pop open a ticket with what you want and when a good time to do the upgrade is.

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited June 2014

@catalystium Sorry, I was debating if I should allow transfers or not. I've decided (in this case) to allow the transfer. Just give me a heads up and make sure you have an account created before hand.

• @Steven_F said:
    catalystium Sorry, I was debating if I should allow transfers or not. I've decided (in this case) to allow the transfer. Just give me a heads up and make sure you have an account created before hand.

Yes sir, not a problem. I'll chat with him about it.