Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connect to server that answers first?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Connect to server that answers first?

Hello, i have a uptime site on two servers, one in US and one in EU, is it possible to select the server that answers first? I am using cloudflare.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Not that but Geolocation which server is not so far away from you.

• @Infinity580 said:
    Not that but Geolocation which server is not so far away from you.

Okay, how do i do that?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Rage4 instead cloudfare or bind9 + maxmind but that dosent work pretty well.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

A DNS that features Roundrobin does the job I think. Zonomi.com has this feature enabled by default, all you have to do is add the multiple server IP addresses on the same A record. If one IP goes down it will redirect visitors to a IP that is still alive, I'm not sure if it connects users based on ping times though.

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited June 2014

• udkudk Member

Round robin DNS is available almost everywhere and will not give you closest IP (or even an available IP) - it's completely random, so only good for very basic load balancing.

You'll have to explain more what you want to do. Is it simply serve a website from a diffferent server/IP depending on where your visitor is from? You could save a lot of hassle and use cloudflare as a global proxy which should speed up your site.

• Rage4 has free geodns support. So you can redirect your visitors based on their geolocations. But in that case you have to use Rage4's DNS system, not cloudflare

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited June 2014

Mark_R said: A DNS that features Roundrobin does the job I think. Zonomi.com has this feature enabled by default, all you have to do is add the multiple server IP addresses on the same A record. If one IP goes down it will redirect visitors to a IP that is still alive, I'm not sure if it connects users based on ping times though.

This is a function of the web browser, and the issue with this is the retry time. If the first-tried IP is dead, it can take minutes before the browser retries a second IP. Long before that happens the user will have given up and moved on. Different browsers have different retry timeouts.