Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whois Data Reminder Policy? bypass ICANN? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whois Data Reminder Policy? bypass ICANN?

2»

Comments

• @Dylan said:
    Go with NameSilo. There's really no downside to them unless you count the limited TLD selection.

I've been with them for a while and have no complains.

@Mark_R said:
    I think that vindohosting messed up that resulted in me getting this email. for now I will ignore it and wait 60 days, after the 60 days have passed I can transfer my domain to namesilo according to the icann rules I think (atleast thats what namesilo said in a live chat if i remember correctly.) I still think that waiting 60 days while you are on risk of losing your domain is a bit fucked up but i've got no choice right?

What do you mean, did you just transfer that domain to that registrar? As long as a transfer hasn't occurred within 60 days, you should be free to transfer to another registrar. If you try to transfer, and still need to wait, Namesilo will tell you the domain is ineligible for transfer.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@CharlesA said:
    What do you mean, did you just transfer that domain to that registrar? As long as a transfer hasn't occurred within 60 days, you should be free to transfer to another registrar. If you try to transfer, and still need to wait, Namesilo will tell you the domain is ineligible for transfer.

I've asked namesilo once before to get a domain transfered to them which was recently registered at another registar and namesilo claimed that I had to wait x days before they could take in that domain according to icann rules.

• nerouxneroux Member

Mark_R said: I've asked namesilo once before to get a domain transfered to them which was recently registered at another registar and namesilo claimed that I had to wait x days before they could take in that domain according to icann rules.

This is correct. There is a 60 day waiting period

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2012-02-25-en

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

Do you know of any ways to bypass this? are there other registars like icann that do not have such rule?

• nerouxneroux Member

@Mark_R said:
    Do you know of any ways to bypass this? are there other registars like icann that do not have such rule?

ICANN is not a registrar but the governing body for domain names. I doubt there will be any registrar ignoring this waiting period. I am not sure if it is technically possible in general, but even if it were they would be in violation of their ICANN agreement.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

@neroux said:
    ICANN is not a registrar but the governing body for domain names. I doubt there will be any registrar ignoring this waiting period. I am not sure if it is technically possible in general, but even if it were they would be in violation of their ICANN agreement.

There must be a way. Aren't there any other organizations like ICANN who manage those domains? are all .com/.net domains going through them?

• nerouxneroux Member

Mark_R said: There must be a way.

Why?

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@neroux said:
    Why?

I dont wanna let my domains stay at my current registar who never responds when you contact their support, and just the recent turn of events that played makes me like them even less. I do not trust my domains to them anymore and I want to move on to a solid registar, removing the middleman and going to a real registar.

• nerouxneroux Member

@Mark_R said:
    I dont wanna let my domains stay at my current registar who never responds when you contact their support, and just the recent turn of events that played makes me like them even less. I do not trust my domains to them anymore and I want to move on to a solid registar, removing the middleman and going to a real registar.

I understand your point, but this will not change the regulations in place. You cannot transfer a domain within the first 60 days. What you could do is contact the registrar itself and try to move it to an account under your name. If they will agree to this is a different story though.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@neroux said:
    What you could do is contact the registrar itself and try to move it to an account under your name. If they will agree to this is a different story though.

You mean contacting vindohosting (my current registar) ? Like I said earlier, they are never responding to anything. its all automated and support is non-existant, I also think that contacting them is the last thing i'd want to do because they might end up hijacking my domains.

• nerouxneroux Member

Mark_R said: You mean contacting vindohosting (my current registar) ? Like I said earlier, they are never responding to anything. its all automated and support is non-existant, I also think that contacting them is the last thing i'd want to do because they might end up hijacking my domains.

They are the reseller, the actual registrar appears to be Onlinenic. However you are not their customer, so they might not respond either.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@neroux said:
    They are the reseller, the actual registrar appears to be Onlinenic. However you are not their customer, so they might not respond either.

Yes, I think that they wont allow me to take over domains registered through vindohosting because I am not their contact person, even if I show payment proofs it most likely wont convince them. I really dont like this situation at all. if anyone knows a way to bypass those troublesome icann rules please let me know! thanks!

• No way to bypass the 60 day wait period that I know of. If it's a .com or .net, you also need your EPP code, which I've had nasty times getting from a couple domain registrars (thankfully Namecheap wasn't so bad).

• DylanDylan Member
    edited June 2014

@Mark_R said:
    if anyone knows a way to bypass those troublesome icann rules please let me know!

You can't just bypass ICANN rules - they oversee the entire global domain name system. Every generic TLD (.com, .net, .sexy, etc.) has the same immutable restrictions.

The only way to get around that is with country-code TLDs (like .us or .uk), which are delegated by ICANN but managed by individual countries.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • CSharpCSharp Member

I believe ICANN requires every registrar to send out these e-mails independently if you have Whois Protection or not. You should have valid contact information registered in your registrar even if you have Whois Protection, your Whois Protector will just act as a middleman.

P.S: Sorry if I said anything wrong or anything that's already been mentioned here, didn't read the whole thread.

• Afaik it's just an e-mail giving you the chance to correct whois information if it's incorrect / outdated. If I recall correctly you can ignore this without consequences, but dont hang me up on that :p

• emgemg Veteran

@Mark_R said:
    Hello,

For many years i've been using a domain registar that protects my whois privacy by replacing my registrant informations with their own. Recently I registered a new .com domain and now a week later I get this email:

Dear Domain Registrant,

This e-mail is a reminder for you to review and correct any inaccurate Whois information associated with your domain registration on *******.com. Our records include the following information.

[whois info]

Mark,

Did your email come from GoDaddy? I had a non-technical customer who just received the same email from GoDaddy. He was totally spooked by it. He does not have privacy enabled, and did not understand that his contact information is publicly available in the whois database. He thought the email came from ICANN itself, but did not know who or what ICANN is, etc.

I told him that the email was just a reminder, and explained about the whois database. I reassured him that his information was correct so nothing more needed to be done, and the email could be safely ignored.

I would move him away from GoDaddy, which is expensive and it causes trouble by sending him lots of junk email that is sometimes confusing for him. Still, it is easier to leave him where he is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@emg said:
    Did your email come from GoDaddy?

Full email header: http://justpaste.it/g00u

• emgemg Veteran

Hmmm. I guess that ICANN must be asking registrars to send them out. I suppose I will be getting them from my two registrars soon.

• nerouxneroux Member

@Mark_R said:

So yes, it appears it was sent by your registrar.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

@neroux said:
    So yes, it appears it was sent by your registrar.

Yes but not vindohosting I purchased the domain through (the reseller.)

Anyways I count my domains already as lost by now, due those stupid ICANN rules and ofcourse because vindohosting might be going to be a problem in the transfer process because I need a EP code ( @CharlesA ) ?

I'm new to the whole transfering a domain process and the current situation is probably not going to help me move them to a reliable registar.

There is a option to Unlock my domain through the vindohosting panel but do I need to contact them first for a EP code? if that is the case then their non-existant support probably doesnt give me anything

• fixed most spelling mistakes.
  • nerouxneroux Member

Mark_R said: Yes but not vindohosting I purchased the domain through (the reseller.)

Well, they are also not the registrar but only the reseller.

Mark_R said: Anyways I count my domains already as lost by now, due those stupid ICANN rules

Again, these rules are not stupid, but there for a reason. I am not quite sure why you count it as lost as you do not seem to have had any problems so far. In a bit more than 50 days you can transfer out if you wish and should your provider create any troubles, simply contact the registrar. They should be able to issue the proper EPP code to the administrative address. However thats speculation of course, as they havent refused anything so far.

Mark_R said: There is a option to Unlock my domain through the vindohosting panel but do I need to contact them first for a EP code?

The domain will need to be unlocked once you want to transfer it but regardless of this you will need to wait 60 days. Then unlock it and request the EPP code. Again, should there be any problems contact the registrar.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

@neroux said:
    Again, should there be any problems contact the registrar.

Dude, how do you think that will work out? I contact vindohosting nothing will happen, I try contacting the company they resell from (onlineNIC) and they will refuse my request because I am not their contact person! vindohosting is the one that pays their bills so I see no reason for onlineNIC to even take my requests seriously.

• nerouxneroux Member

Yes, your reseller might have lousy support but there is no real indication that they will actually run with your domain. I am sorry, but in my opinion you are exaggerating the whole thing and make a mountain out of a molehill for no reason.

Yes, you might not be your registrar's direct customer but it is still their responsibilty to make sure the rightful owner has access to their domain if the reseller fails to provide this for whatever reason. But again, thats all speculation as we are far from a point where we can accuse your reseller of domain hijacking.

If you are really concerned contact the registrar already now and let them know about the case.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@neroux said:
    Yes, your reseller might have lousy support but there is no real indication that they will actually run with your domain. I am sorry, but in my opinion you are exaggerating the whole thing and make a mountain out of a molehill for no reason.

They have never responded to a single ticket, I'm pretty sure that won't change when I request my EP code. I am sorry, but in my opinion you are too optimistic.

We'll see how it works out but in the meantime I won't keep any false hopes up.

• DylanDylan Member

First off, you get the EPP code after unlocking the domain, not before, so it's entirely possible that when you do unlock it in vindohosting's panel you'll have a new option there to get the code.

If not, that's okay. Resellers disappear, go out of business, etc. all the time and registrars have regular procedures for problems like yours. Usually it goes like this: if you're listed as the administrative contact on the domain, and you tell the registrar the reseller won't give you an EPP code, the registrar will write to the reseller and give them a set number of days to respond (a week or something). If they don't, the registrar will either give you a direct account with the domain in it or the EPP code.

This is something that happens often and it's really not a big deal. Inconvenient, yes, but totally solvable.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

in the end it looks like I can successfully transfer my domains away from them without needing to contact their non-existant support. they have a "Get EPP code" link which automaticly gives the code after clicking it! time to move on.

• @Mark_R said:
    in the end it looks like I can successfully transfer my domains away from them without needing to contact their non-existant support. they have a "Get EPP code" link which automaticly gives the code after clicking it! time to move on.

Cool, just make sure the domain lock is disabled and whois privacy is disabled so you don't get email to a non existent email (like some registrars do)

Thanked by 1Mark_R