Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IRC-friendly hosts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IRC-friendly hosts

tortautortau Member
edited September 2011 in Providers

I'm looking for a LEB host recommendation that is IRC friendly. As in, running a IRC client is fine.

This is probably a strange request but I've been reading so many TOS that I must admit it's getting a little frustrating so I figured this way might be faster. I understand why datacenters dislike IRC (ddos, etc) but I've been using IRC since the late 90s and that's just where my pals and I hang out. So I tend to prefer one single machine that I can log in to at home/work to catch up.

Yet, every time I find a good deal and look up their TOS, it's always disallows IRC. I used to be on Linode but I'm trying to cut down on the monthly bill - hence the search. Ideally Xen/KVM because I like upgrading my own distros and tweaking things. I've tried OVZ and it annoys me beyond measure -_-

So if anyone knows of any (that are actually in stock), do share? In the east coast would be even better.

Comments

• I run my IRC stuff on a $3/month 128mb KVM VPS from hostigation.com

• BuyVM or Hostigation.

• I currently have a 64MB KVM VPS with Carstensz Pyramid Server in Asheville, NC that I run an IRC server on, yet to have a single issue. :)

While I never had any performance issues with Hostigation, there were quite a few downtimes in their Rock Hill, SC location due to the datacenter losing power. Not sure if they've fixed their UPS yet.

• edis.at

• Kuro said: While I never had any performance issues with Hostigation, there were quite a few downtimes in their Rock Hill, SC location due to the datacenter losing power. Not sure if they've fixed their UPS yet.

Been fixed for about 2 weeks now, and back to the way things should be. I didn't realize the lead was so valuable in the old cells, we turned in 80 old batteries to the scrap yard at 25¢/lb for $1400

• I have my IRCd on UptimeVPS, and ran once on ThrustVPS.

• Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at these providers.

• Quickweb too but I believe only on their Germany servers.

• AlienVPS

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

We allow IRC also, I know many hosts dont so just wanted to add our name to the short list :(