Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ Security Update - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ Security Update

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

If it takes them 12 - 24 hours to manually write a patch then they are just not doing things right, it needs to be as fully automated as possible or it is near useless, if the update is not security related then a reboot is probably not needed anyway and if it is security related then it needs to be <60 minutes or it is just pointless.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

AnthonySmith said: if it is security related then it needs to be <60 minutes or it is just pointless.

In a perfect world, yes. :P

• 2 kernel panics while preparing for reboot. One is back up. Other is running fsck for the last 2 hours. FML

@serverian said:
    2 kernel panics while preparing for reboot. One is back up. Other is running fsck for the last 2 hours. FML

Just been through that only to find that once it did boot in the latest kernel there is zero network connectivity, switch to 090.3 and the network is fine again, .4 and .5 absolutely defies all logic and all network connectivity is dead.

Thinking of switching back to .3 and migrating to ploop to mitigate, this is why I love Xen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @serverian said:
    2 kernel panics while preparing for reboot. One is back up. Other is running fsck for the last 2 hours. FML

VPSDime? Mine down for some time

• @msg7086 said:
    VPSDime? Mine down for some time

Yes. fsck is just finished 5 minutes ago. Containers are booting at the moment. Check back in 10 mins, if it's not online, please open a ticket.

finally all sorted... well at least until the next critical update tomorrow.....

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

In regards to ksplice:

The update is syncing to our servers now and should be available to you

within an hour.

Regards,

-Samson

• Too late!

• KernelCare
    Security Update Issued
    An update for KernelCare was just released to address that critical OpenVZ / VZ / PCS SimFS security flaw that was reported earlier

Official Link:

http://cloudlinux.com/blog/clnews/504.php

Ongoing Discussion via WHT:

• lol

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Would appear both ksplice and kernelcare released their updates at the exact same time

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

This seems really bad on the surface but as far as I can tell only people with an existing container can exploit this. It's not a wide open thing where everyone on the planet can exploit it. An important distinction. If you have a bunch of customer who are the type that are willing and able to hack their own provider I would say get better customers.

So statisitically, the odds of getting exploited by this compared to the ones where anyone on the internet can do it are extremely small.

• sman said: only people with an existing container can exploit this

thats true, but it depends of people, maybe i get a VPS at some provider here, and i have exploit, and want to fuck other people, so that would not be good for other customers.

still being important to update, you dont know who is next door (vps)

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@dedicados said:

Yes so I would be careful not to put anyone signing up recently on a server that has not been updated.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Tough day for those involved no doubt. Seems these sorts of things are popping up with more regularity lately. Props to @tragic who posted this initially.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

The OpenVZ guys seemed to fixed this rather quickly. I think it's mostly just one guy but he's real good. I believe he is one of the core Linux kernel developers.

• We fixed this fast after seeing the issue posted on twitter, also a few hosts have been hacked recently, so anyone know about that was it anything to do with this or?

• I got notifications from chicagovps, wable,ramnode,vpsdime, and buyvm regarding this issue.
    But I have no news from bandwagonhost and xvmlabs, and my VPSes with them were not restarted in the past 24 hours, I am not sure if this means their service is not affect by this vulnerability. @dcc any comments?

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

@webflier
    We patched everything about 12 hours ago (we normally rely on ksplice or kernelcare depending on the node, but in this case we decided to do a full reboot). You can verify this with 'uname -a'

Thanked by 1webflier
  • sonontsesonontse Member
    edited June 2014

Only 2 hosts I have yet to see an update from is Crissic and XVMLabs. Both still show 2.6.32-042stab088.4 for me and container has not been rebooted. Ticketed into Crissic, (#447029) but Skyler replied that the nodes were fixed. Anyone seeing this same issue on Crissic's OVZ05 node?

• @dcc Thanks, you are the only provider I am with that can fix this issue in time and without reboot. Good job!

• KrisKris Member

@sonontse said:

Only 2 hosts I have yet to see an update from is Crissic and XVMLabs. Both still show 2.6.32-042stab088.4 for me and container has not been rebooted. Ticketed into Crissic, (#447029) but Skyler replied that the nodes were fixed. Anyone seeing this same issue on Crissic's OVZ05 node?

One Crissic node I'm on is running : https://wiki.openvz.org/Download/kernel/rhel6/042stab084.20

In short, I don't think they patched all their machines.

• rds100rds100 Member

Upgrading the kernel is not 100% necessary to guard against this bug, doing this for all containers should do the trick too:

vzctl set $CTID --capability dac_read_search:off --save --setmode restart

• So how can I be sure its been fixed? Kernel is "2.6.32-042stab088.4" and my uptime has been 6 days and counting. Does this fix require a reboot?

• KrisKris Member

sonontse said: So how can I be sure its been fixed?

uname -a should return : 042stab090.5 in the kernel version.

We're both on older kernels - different variants.

@SkylarM has to slap his techs around.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • RaymiiRaymii Member

I got a lot of Emergency Reboot emails this morning...

• IshaqIshaq Member

No mention of RHEL5 2.6.18 kernels.