Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPTP vpn is slow,what could be the reason?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPTP vpn is slow,what could be the reason?

hiphiphiphiphiphip Member
edited June 2012 in General

I use "ifconfig ppp0 mtu 1500" to set the mtu of the vps ,the desktop's mtu is 1500,but after the desktop connected to pptp vpn,the mtu is 1400.
ping -f -l 1372 www.google.com could get a reply
ping -f -l 1374 www.google.cm shows "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set."
The speed of SSH tunnel proxy is good:
PPTP one is slow:
This vpn was installed on a openvz vps,I have another vpn installed on a kvm vps,speed of that one is good , configuration is the same,OS is debian6.
Had anyone encountered the same problem?

Comments

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

They are same provider?

Thanked by 1hiphiphip
  • FreekFreek Member

I do have higher ping times with PPTP compared to OpenVPN on the same provider, but the speeds are the same... Can't help you out here.

Thanked by 1hiphiphip
  • nabonabo Member

@hiphiphip said: Had anyone encountered the same problem?

Check if you router gives priority to other protocols. Does your router has something like traffic shaping? Is your ISP filtering specific protocols?

Thanked by 1hiphiphip
  • @key12
    SSH and PPTP on openvz are the same provider:buyvm,kvm one:hostigation,all for personal use.
    @nabo
    As speed of PPTP on kvm is good,I think there are no protocols and traffic shaping.
    Few people use vpn around my region,ISP don't need to filtering.

Supplement:I installed openvpn on buyvm which mtu is 1500,the speed is good too.