Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated servers - what do you think?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated servers - what do you think?

MSPNickMSPNick Member
edited June 2014 in General

hi there :-)

Not sure what you think about these; we're about to start racking some low end hardware, within the UK and we're looking for some feedback on the servers the servers that we will be racking on our network + pricing - we are also offering the option of rent to buy the servers that we will be providing.

Now we have some rough prices as this isn't solid yet but here goes;

All of our hardware will be Dell branded, all going to be coming with of course, unlimited bandwidth.

We're just looking for feedback, nothing else but if you have any questions fire away!

Dual Intel Xeon Quad Core E5504 2.0GHz Processors

4GB RAM

Dell SAS5/i SAS/SATA Controller

£22/mo

Dual Core Xeon 2.66 Ghz (5150)

8 GB RAM

Dell SAS5/i SAS/SATA Controller

£32/mo

Would there be an interest in these sort of servers? we will have these servers racked within the next couple of weeks.

Are the prices too high? They're in the UK so bandwidth + power plays a huge role

• Nick.

Comments

• When was the last time I was using 4GB RAM on my desktop?

Even my laptop was 6GB RAM 3 years ago.

• @msg7086 said:
    When was the last time I was using 4GB RAM on my desktop?

Even my laptop was 6GB RAM 3 years ago.

Indeed! My laptop has 6GB! :-) We're thinking about racking these servers.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited June 2014

Also i missed out a configuration!

Q6600 4x 2.4GHz

Ram 4GB

HD 1 160GB

HD 2 160GB

• NekkiNekki Veteran

If you could get something closer to Kimsufi spec for around £10/month, I reckon they'd sell like hotcakes.

• @MSPNick said:
    Indeed! My laptop has 6GB! :-) We're thinking about racking these servers.

That's what I'm worrying about. A server that can't even beat my laptop, hmm...

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited June 2014

@MSPNick said:
    Also i missed out a configuration!

Q6600 4x 2.4GHz

Ram 4GB

HD 1 160GB

HD 2 160GB

This one is going to be racked at £35/mo in the UK with /30 subnet. no setup fee.

discounts however, on earlier pricing may very.

• 5150 Xeons are really old, you would get better performance from some pentium or i3 servers. The q6600s and 5504s are still decent low end servers.

• @PeakServers_Austin said:
    5150 Xeons are really old, you would get better performance from some pentium or i3 servers. The q6600s and 5504s are still decent low end servers.

We're going to rack them in RS, Nottingham UK. I believe it'll be a pretty good server for small webhosting use.

• I thought UK has higher Power prices, and these servers take a lot of electricity, price looks to be fair, but would you be able to make money off of it

• @slicebox said:
    I thought UK has higher Power prices, and these servers take a lot of electricity, price looks to be fair, but would you be able to make money off of it

Yes - if we go with the other servers not the Q6600 we'd need to replace he PSU to allow effective and greener power to the servers - power plays a huge part in the part of the cost in the UK.

• You may be better off getting a couple Dell C6100s, they are 2U 4 node, each with Dual L5520s and 24GB of RAM and 3x3.5in Bays they are quite a nice option for the low end market.

• wychwych Member

I like the pricing, just not the 4gb.

• @wych said:
    I like the pricing, just not the 4gb.

Can be customizable though, like I said we're going to be upgrading the PSU in the servers for the power performance..

@ApplePi said:
    You may be better off getting a couple Dell C6100s, they are 2U 4 node, each with Dual L5520s and 24GB of RAM and 3x3.5in Bays they are quite a nice option for the low end market.

Hmm, what an idea thank you very much :-)