Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many computers do you own? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many computers do you own?

2»

Comments

• Sent you a PM

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Let's see,

1 HP7350 Desktop
    1 iMac 27inch
    1 NorthGate
    1 iPad 3 (64gb , 4G)
    1 iPad 2 (32, 3G)
    1 iPod touch 4g
    1 iPod touch 2g
    1 iPod touch 1g
    1 iPhone 4s
    1 HP Proliant Dl380 G4
    2 Compaq Presario F500
    1 MacBook pro
    3-4 older computers I use for parts
    2 Laptops I'm fixing for some people

I believe that's it... Lol

• birdie25birdie25 Member
    edited June 2012

1 game PC: i5 3570k, 16GB RAM, AMD 6950 2GB, 60GB Vertex 2 SSD, 3x 1TB samsungs
    2 HP laptops (1 dev, 1 is my sister's)
    1 Acer laptop (my dad's)
    1 HTPC: X4 9650, 4GB RAM, HD5450 connected with HDMI to our TV
    1 iPad 1 16gb
    1 Samsung galaxy S (dad's, he's getting his One X soon though :P)
    1 HTC Sensation (mine, running OrDroid Sense 4 ROM)
    1 iPhone 4

I've got plans to replace that HTPC by a zbox or even an RPi, and make a file/downloadserver upstairs.

• ZeroZero Member

1 Desktop PC (Multimedia/Gaming)
    1 Samsung Laptop (Developing/Evil experiments)
    1 Samsung Galaxy S
    1 iPod Touch 1G (Not used anymore)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@William pm me too? thanks!

• @taipres said: A while ago someone was going on about how Google has thousands of really cheap computers to power their network vs just having a couple really expensive servers.

@taipres said: Obviously this guy was joking because of course Google has massive data centers with very expensive servers.

LOL. Actually they started off with a few completely plain jane "el cheapo" PC's.

Obviously now it's not quite so cheap, but if they just had a "few" servers they'd be supercomputers to rival the best the world has. Instead they have thousands of "really cheap" (for the size/load) servers - which as stated are probably more akin to a VPS node than a end-user PC, but nevertheless are cheap.

Point being they could load up on relatively few, extremely expensive 64+ core, 256GB+ ram systems, etc, but instead they go with a LOT of relatively cheap "lower-end" systems that end up costing about the same overall, but are easier and cheaper to service or replace.

Thanked by 1taipres
  • FreekFreek Member

2 Gaming Rigs / Workstation
    1 Laptop (Dell Studio 1749)
    1 EEE PC 701 as NAS/'Server'
    2 Old Desktops (One is a P4 and one socket 939.. that's all I remember)
    1 Crappy Laptop (HP Pavilion makes_lots_of_noise.. aka The Blazemaster 2000)
    1 Broken Laptop (Acer Aspire thingy. Used as donor laptop).

• If anyone is interested, here's a view inside my main PC (yes, i know about the dust, thanks)

http://imghost.asia/di-3HQH.jpg

Just ordered a 3rd GPU :)

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2012

Now that must be really noisy

I've counted 7 fans + 6 HDDs

• FreekFreek Member

@William. That are a lot of drives.. How much TB is that?
    Also, your CPU cooler.. is it supposed to be a push/pull but without the push fan :P ?
    Usually if you only have 1 fan mounted on your CPU heatsink, it's push. By the looks of it, yours is pull.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: I've counted 7 fans + 6 HDDs

Yes, but it is rather silent or i am used to it already.
    11 fans actually:
    Side A 2x120
    Side B (under the CPU) 1x120
    Top 1x240
    CPU 1x120
    Front 2x120
    FrontHDD 2x120
    HDD internal 1x120
    PSU 1x120

@Freek said: @William. That are a lot of drives.. How much TB is that?

12TB + 500Gb (System) + 180Gb SSD

@Freek said: Also, your CPU cooler.. is it supposed to be a push/pull but without the push fan :P ?

Yes, the fan is on the wrong side but i am too lazy to change it (cools to 28°C anyway) and i guess with that amounts of fans it doesn't matter at all.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2012

Main desktop: AMD Athlon X2 (2 x 2,4GHz), 2GB RAM, 200GB (IDE) + 250GB (SATA) disk, Club3D Radeon HD3650 1GB, running openSUSE 12.1
    Laptop/netbook: Thinkpad Edge - shitty Intel i3, shitty Intel Integrated Graphics chip, 3GB RAM, ~500GB disk, running (sadly) Fedora, due for a reinstall with openSUSE
    Former Windows PC, now in use by someone else: Packard Bell, Core2Quad, 3GB (?) RAM, crappy built-in nVidia GFX chip, running openSUSE 12.1
    Home media server: Pentium 4 3GHz, 768MB RAM, 80GB disk (will soon be more), running Debian 6

... plus about 50 old (486 to Pentium 4) PCs, most of them under 512MB RAM (most have far less), and not that much disk space... I still have to refurbish them.

EDIT: This does not include the several other computers that are in use by others in the house.

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited June 2012

I have the following:

1X 7" Chi-pod (China android ipad clone)
    2X WD NAS (World Edition) 1TB and 2TB (Also acts as Media Servers & VPN Servers)
    Sony Laptop, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, Bluray-rewriter, Nvidia GT540
    Acer Aspire 5935 Laptop, intel Core 2 DUo, 4GB RAM, Bluray Reader, DVD-R_W, ATI 4570
    Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom, 2GB RAM,
    Old Pentium 4 Acer Workstation. 1GB RAM, DVD D-RW
    HTC One S Android Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Phone
    Huawe Ascend G300 Phone
    ZTE Crescent Phone
    Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Phone
    X2 1U Servers, Intel Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Windows Server 2008

i Think thats it :D

• JacobJacob Member
    edited June 2012

Thats some messy cabling you have there, Brown tape really? That's for packaging... Get some black electrical tape for inside computers. :-)

And about the dust, I just start the generator and get the air pump to clean computer cases out or pretty much anything, Or you can manually take the whole PC apart and clean it. ;)

@William said: If anyone is interested, here's a view inside my main PC (yes, i know about the dust, thanks)

http://imghost.asia/di-3HQH.jpg

Just ordered a 3rd GPU :)

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@ElliotJ said: Needless to say, sending raw, uncompressed, 1080p footage over 802.11g wasn't a great idea

Yeah I would think to try that, I'd definitely have my setup lan'd up via wires. In fact my older router(pre openwrt firmware upgrade) would drop if I even entertained that idea.
    I'll be happy when wireless is better though which sparked a question I been meaning to ask, so thanks.