Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowendspirit going down under - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowendspirit going down under

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Infinity580 said:
    The first thing i thought, InceptionHosting deadpools. The is titel maybe a bit confusing :D

LOL :)

@MikHo said:
    And it would hit CF servers instead of the LES

Ah ok, that wont work then.

Well if someone wants to give me a little bit more info I will see if I can work around it, the ping element should not be any issue as you would be setting it to the external IP anyway which will reply.

If it is TCP and can work on hostname and transmits headers it should be possible to put something in place.

• Eh?

Overload gethostbyname() with your own either in the C source, or replace references to your own.

Really not hard to do.

• Wintereise said: Eh?

Overload gethostbyname() with your own either in the C source, or replace references to your own.

Really not hard to do.

But a pain to do every time you need to update PHP or Observium... nobody asked Anthony to fix it, he offered. It's also hardly worth recompiling PHP for.

The ones who should fix it are the Observium devs and/or the PHP devs.

• AThomasHowe said: The ones who should fix it are the Observium devs and/or the PHP devs.

Neither have much of a reason to care, to be totally honest.

It's the world of open sauce, if you need something, you build it yourself. Maintaining a single function on a single file is hardly a chore, really.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I wonder what does Observium do, that you need it on a LES box? Why not just set up Smokeping to watch over your boxes. Here's mine, btw we get to witness a Sunday evening at my ISP. http://s.lowendshare.com/5/1403460663.23.2014-06-22T180921Z-sp.png

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited June 2014

Observium has a Professional edition so yeah, they probably should fix something like IPv6 support for a monitoring system they're trying to sell.

Wintereise said: It's the world of open sauce, if you need something, you build it yourself. Maintaining a single function on a single file is hardly a chore, really.

In the world of the free market, if one solution doesn't fit your needs you put up and shut up or you move onto another project with better specifications. You can also contact the devs and try and get it fixed hoping they want to keep/gain market share. Neither of those points really matter, though. And as outlined ITT, the problem is in at least two places and possibly more.

Not everyone, even programmers, wants to read through or contribute to every open source project they use. There's also no requirement to be a contributor to have a feature wish.

Plus the PHP devs should absolutely iron out their IPv6 support and you know it.

edit:

{rm_ said] I wonder what does Observium do, that you need it on a LES box? Why not just set up Smokeping to watch over your boxes. Here's mine, btw we get to witness a Sunday evening at my ISP.

Lots of things are monitored, disk, I/o, network, you can add in support for Apache monitoring etc... much more than a ping monitor.

also made my above point a little clearer.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited June 2014

Nekki said: If only Observium supported IPv6...all those exotic green circles.

Is it possible to run SNMP on a non-standard port? AFAIK if you can configure SNMP to listen on a LES port then you can configure Observium to poll on any port you wish.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@1e10 said:
    Is it possible to run SNMP on a non-standard port? AFAIK if you can configure SNMP to listen on a LES port then you can configure Observium to poll on any port you wish.

This.

• Actually, I've got observium to work on IPv6 on one of my LES boxes. If you want more info you can PM me.

• Sentinel said: Actually, I've got observium to work on IPv6 on one of my LES boxes. If you want more info you can PM me.

Couldn't you just post it for everyone?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@1e10 said:

As mentioned before, it's not just SNMP but ICMP too.

edited June 2014

@Nekki said:
    As mentioned before, it's not just SNMP but ICMP too

Ping the same name/ip and the node will answer. Problem solved.

@Sentinel
    Post the solution .......

• SentinelSentinel Member
    edited June 2014

For the SNMP conf file you need to add

agentaddress udp6:161 

and

com2sec6 readonly  default         public

and then restart snmpd, then in your observium install directory you need to run

./add_device.php  [community] v2c 161 udp6 

And that should work, although it takes some more manual effort than just typing into a web interface.

Edit: All of these lines go on the client side, not the server side.

Thanked by 1AThomasHowe
  • J1021J1021 Member

Sentinel said: For the SNMP conf file you need to add

agentaddress udp6:161

and

com2sec6 readonly default public

and then restart snmpd, then in your observium install directory you need to run

Do you add these lines on the client server or poll server?

• MuZoMuZo Member

@Nekki said: If only Observium supported IPv6...all those exotic green circles.

@Nekki said: If I remember correctly, you'd also need to be able to pass through pings, as that's the first availability check Observium undertakes when creating a new host.

I run snmpd for observium on all of my LES boxes and it works fine.
    Just tell snmpd to use one of your IPv4 ports instead of the default one by adding this line to your snmpd.conf

agentaddress <port>

When adding a device observium needs to ping it, obviously pings will hit the host node. Observium then checks for ping and snmpd availability to know if a device is up or down: if you see the device is down because of ping it will probably be a node reboot or a network problem, if the device is down because of snmpd it means your box is down.

Logs:

@AnthonySmith can you confirm there was a reboot on 18/06/2014? (CEST time in image)

Map:

YAY

Thanked by 2AThomasHowe J1021
  • AThomasHowe said: Observium has a Professional edition so yeah, they probably should fix something like IPv6 support for a monitoring system they're trying to sell.

Considering the laughable amount of v6 adoption on professional systems, yeaaaaaaaaah, no.

Let's not go there, however.

• Thanks @Sentinel and @MuZo, I'll give it a go in a bit. I did mess with the other modes but I guess I was missing the config file lines.

Wintereise said: Considering the laughable amount of v6 adoption on professional systems, yeaaaaaaaaah, no.

Let's not go there, however.

What you should do isn't necessarily what you do. But yes, let's not go there, there is absolutely no excuse in 2014 not to be adding IPv6 support everywhere possible.

• J1021J1021 Member

MuZo said: I run snmpd for observium on all of my LES boxes and it works fine. Just tell snmpd to use one of your IPv4 ports instead of the default one by adding this line to your snmpd.conf

That appears to be working for me, thank you.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I'll have a go at adding these next time I get 20 minutes to myself, cheers.

@MuZo Yes confirmed :)

And nice one, thought it was a bit odd to not be able to specify your own SNMP port.

Ant.

Thanked by 1MuZo

It has gone down under :)

Yes it is ran by @Oliver and Ransom IT, it is great to have another host on board, really appreciate Oliver getting in to the lowendspirit!

I wont say to much as no doubt Oliver will want to say something himself but said it was ok for me to let everyone know, I bought the first one myself and have a bench mark running, will post the results soon.

Just to be clear, although I operate LES and the LES website any purchases made for the Sydney location will be managed bu Oliver, he has a solid rep round here and no doubt he will do the LES idea proud!

Safe to assume limited stock initially.

Ant.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Got one!

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

Also just grabbed one. :)

Yeah!,
    got one of them as well, now my collection is complete (for now).

• blackblack Member
    edited June 2014

Getting one as well. Are these actually capped to 100 mbit as the site advertise? The japan one seems to pull from cachefly @ 1 Gbps.

Also, why the 10% tax? :(

• arestarest Member

grab one :D

au:~# ./bench.sh
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  800.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 128 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   26 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 49.4MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 540KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 340KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 454KB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 427KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 481KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 349KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 431KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 286KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 372KB/s
    I/O speed :  891 MB/s

For anyone interested :)

@black said:
    Also, why the 10% tax? :(

Guess its an Aussie thing. 4,5 usd ~ 3 eur plus tax.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

How's DDoS handled? Will the whole node go down like it sometimes does in Italy?

@tr1cky said:
    How's DDoS handled? Will the whole node go down like it sometimes does in Italy?

They only really seem to hit Italy to be honest, it was probably a bad idea to advertise it was DDOS protected to begin with, I don't expect the same issue for @Oliver.