Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To providers: Do you want to reduce business costs? Follow "No Support Linux Hosting" (It's true)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To providers: Do you want to reduce business costs? Follow "No Support Linux Hosting" (It's true)

Just saw this web site in WHT (http://www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com) and applauded the owners! They advertize as business model for reducing hosting costs, that they do not offer support at all!

At No Support Linux Hosting, we ignore the support questions and pass the savings on to you. Our servers are fast and reliable, and we do an excellent job of managing our servers to keep everything running smoothly. We do not answer amateur questions, though.

What a brilliand idea! They will answer only tickets that they think they are worth it. And the offer is... real tempting: For 15$ per month, access to 8cpu's, 2GB RAM and 100GB Raid SAS with... root access and a plenty of different Linux distros!

(Well, I know some providers here on LET that they also offer no support Linux hosting, but at a really smaller fragment of cost)

Comments

• Yeah, that is nice for people who actually know what they are doing. I believe there is already a host among us that uses this type of 'management approach' and it tends to get him some pissed off customers every now and again who come here and bash him about it because they are not competent enough to work in such an environment and didn't seem to understand the idea of the 'unmanaged support' product that was being offered. The only difference here is that they tell you right up front not to expect any support outside something extreme happening to their hardware.

Pretty sure the one I am thinking of is My Custom Hosting and @MCHPhil , just ask him how that works out from him time to time. I am sure for the most part its a reasonable approach, but seems like it has also been a rocky one at times based on some of the threads that have popped up here on LET.

Cheers!

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Sounds largely like a lot of "unmanaged" providers, however in my own personal experience a large portion of them are still pretty helpful. FWIW I go under the assumption that any host at LET/LEB is unmanaged. So half the price for the same thing, they just don't shove the lack of support for amateur questions in your face, and will simply suggest an alternative to a VPS if it's not suitable for that particular client.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2014

@TheLinuxBug What about some other providers, that they offer same or smaller prices for their unmanaged services, some of them are just one-man-show (like MCH Phil) and they have a completely different approach to their business? Ramnode's Nick, Skylar @ Crissic, Dr. Server and, of course, Uncle Sal and Maounique, just to mention a few...

They don't... advertize their unwillingness to support their client, instead, they try to help reasonable questions and requests and, some time, they do their best to help some noobies to use their service without whimpering.
    And they always stay professional in their answers, when a client is rude, ignorant or just idiot, they do not behave like a 15-year-old pissed-off kid...

TL;DR It is surely an abuse when a client bashes provider's support with questions "how do I reboot my box" or "what is ''culr'' command means", but when the approach is from the beggining "no support at all", then, I think that provider pushes the limits of his obligation to the client for a stable service a little to far and shows his unwillingness to provide even the minimum support.

• said: And the offer is... real tempting: For 15$ per month, access to 8cpu's, 2GB RAM and 100GB Raid SAS with... root access and a plenty of different Linux distros!

DireVPS, OverZold and WaveRide do roughly the same within the LEB price range. Though I agree, being upfront with your customers -- "we're not UbuntuForums, we will only handle problems that are our doing" -- is great rather than having to deal with whiners down the road.

• jvnadr said: "what is ''culr'' command means"

What is 'culr'?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2014

@Rallias See? Even you are asking stupid things! This is an umanaged forum, I will reject your post :P

(Just joking! Yeah, typo, I will write CURL 1000 times in the blackboard! Funny thing is that I'm doing the same typo often when typing at the console...)

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited June 2014

@Rallias said:
    What is 'culr'?

Haha, I was wondering the same thing.

• That's overpriced.

Thanked by 1Noerman
  • @GreenValueHost said:
    That's overpriced.

Is that your anwser to everything now a days haha

• edited June 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    That's overpriced.

Jon, I barely know you. I don't have services with your "company" or know you in the non internet based world. But you seem like a kid who is trying to be an ass and piss everybody off. From what I see from your older posts, it wasn't always this way, but you slowly became this annoying person who I want to punch after reading some of your comments. Improve on your attitude. /rant

• Don't worry Jeff...its ok. He got some "deals" from CC aka "the demigods" as he calls them, and it got to his head a little to much.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • niceboyniceboy Veteran

Honestly, what op mentioned is nothing but an un managed vps hosting.

Probably, I dont prefer it as I can get an unmanaged vps from ramnode and get a brilliant uptime, performance and support.

• We ignore the support questions, and pass the savings on to you! You can submit emails to be ignored at [email protected]

LOL

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited June 2014

said: And the offer is... real tempting: For 15$ per month, access to 8cpu's, 2GB RAM and 100GB Raid SAS with... root access and a plenty of different Linux distros!

Most probably 8 CPU's totally in this server. So 8 cpu for ? 200 users ? It will be a hell)

jvnadr said: (Just joking! Yeah, typo, I will write CURL 1000 times in the blackboard! Funny thing is that I'm doing the same typo often when typing at the console...)

This is why 'wget' exists :)

• kontamkontam Member

That's also a great idea for people with no tech skills that would like to run their own business.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • GreenValueHost said: That's overpriced.

They're building pretty beastly nodes (144GB RAM?!) and if their servers are in Iowa, as they say the NoSupportLinuxHosting servers are, then the costs of providing would be a lot higher than getting dedis from ColoCrossing where they're probably at the point of paying you to please, please take the servers so they can get more IPs.

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Pretty sure the one I am thinking of is My Custom Hosting and MCHPhil , just ask him how that works out from him time to time. I am sure for the most part its a reasonable approach, but seems like it has also been a rocky one at times based on some of the threads that have popped up here on LET.

Phil is a nice guy but surely when someone cries about things by opening a thread rather than a support desk ticket, it surely does piss him off. TBH it makes no sense charging back or opening a discussion thread before trying to resolve it with the provider.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited June 2014

OP means NoSupportVPSHosting.com, I assume. Their server specs:

• Server Grade SuperMicro Rack Mounted Server
    • Dual Intel Xeon 5620 CPUs
    • 144GB of RAM (18x8GB)
    • 8 SAS drives in RAID10
    • Dual 1Gbps ports
    • Dual 10Gbps ports
    • Dual Power Supplies (with dual UPS)

Now do some math. 144 Gb of RAM means up to 72 (in reality, I assume, 71) plans they advertise (2Gb of guaranteed RAM). Divide I/O performance and 8 cores by 70 users...

I tested that VPS. Very average performance; IMNSHO, its cost/performance is below acceptable.

I used NoSupportLinuxHosting for quite a while. Stable, reliable shared hosting. Of course it's for people not banned by search engines and/or those who understand how to handle CPanel and underlying technologies. Amusing, but good hoster.

@Rallias said:
    What is 'culr'?

Perhaps a cool version of 'curl'.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Actually, XenPower is also close to those prices, the 2 GB line even has ssd with more space, though less cores and is cheaper even without the promo. Many people managed to get it for 25% off at the launch.
    That being said, there is no harm in answering some questions, just leave them low priority when you come to sit at the computer for a while a few times a day, not the kind you reply while on the phone to, so, people might complain at most about support time, not lack of it, being friendly is free, it is no different than helping people in forums, you do it because you liked it when you were a noob too and feel good to give something back.

Thanked by 2netomx jvnadr
  • Vertical Integration ought to do the trick.

;)

• We can do 2GB of real RAM [ actually dedicated to your box ] given that we use KVM, and you get dedicated HDD in huge RAID, or dedicated SSD in our upcoming nodes. I don't see what the fad about "NoSupport" is here, where you'll have as terrible I/O and CPU congestion as CloudAtCost.

At least, I'd assume it's terrible given the 8 cores to each user.

• "No support" is ambiguous. I am fine with minimal support a la LowEndSpirit or average, unmanaged hosting like most offers here, but what does "no support" mean? No rDNS? No help with network or hardware issues out of your control? What if there's someone on the node using 100% disk, 100% network and 100% CPU leaving you with nothing... can you ticket in and ask them to investigate?

Think I'd rather pay an extra $ or two and know what I am getting myself in for.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

@AThomasHowe I think that even them will have eventually some kind of support, for issues like hardware failures etc. But, when they state in their logo and TOS that will do not give any support to the users and ignore all request, then, it is absolutely to their hands what a real issue and not support abuse is. And you cannot complain about something that you think is their obligation, if they don't. They, probably will answer you "we don't provide support" and just close the case.

And what is this all about reducing costs, when the best LET players are giving excellent support, much more than that belongs to an unmanaged service, or even Linode will almost match their price model?

I don't trust providers that either claim that they will give you an almost managed service for 1$ per month, but I don't trust either those that are trying to play it smart with taglines like "no support at all for your own good"...

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

My opinion that best possible support is not a good feature, it is A MUST !

Thanked by 2jvnadr netomx
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

drserver said: best possible

That is the golden phrase, I would add 'given the circumstances' to become platinum :)

Thanked by 2jvnadr drserver
  • jvnadr said: I think that even them will have eventually some kind of support, for issues like hardware failures etc.

So you assume.. that's why it's ambiguous! Would rather pay the premium for providers with an ethos like others in this thread... (if you can even call half of them 'a premium'... they're like, $1 more a month)

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • There's a difference between having good service and no support as terrible service and no support. It's good to have support around in the event something happens.