Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Load Balancing Needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Load Balancing Needed

dedicadosdedicados Member
edited June 2014 in Help

Hello! im lookinf for a load balancer for home, i have 2 internet lines, and want to use both, or at least if one goes down, the other continue working.

wich one do you recommend me? not expensive, i see this one on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TP-LINK-TL-R470T-Load-Balance-Broadband-Router-/161327107062?pt=US_Wired_Routers&hash=item258fd84bf6

will work?

thanks!

Comments

• Yes its what you need up to 4 wan input.

• 3 NIC's, a small low power box, and PFSense is what I would use, IMHO. If you have access to the hardware, its pretty cheap :)

• nerouxneroux Member

I assume this is for outgoing connections.

• i need only 2, but its ok if have more,

• nerouxneroux Member

@neroux said:
    I assume this is for outgoing connections.

What do you exactly want to achieve?

• i have two internet lines at home, and want to make both work, maybe not at same time, but yes on same router, and if one goes of, other continue with internet.

• nerouxneroux Member

You already wrote this, but the question is still the same. This is for outgoing connections. You dont want to use for server services.

Thanked by 1Cakey
  • @neroux, I believe that he is trying to do this for dual ISP's at home.

@dedicados, There are many ways of accomplishing this. The device you listed would accomplish the task, as well as PFSense as I recommended earlier.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • thank you! =)

• +1 for pfSense

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Internet that bad in MX?

• Infinity said: Internet that bad in MX?

no, is worst and expensive!

here one thing you have to because of LAW, is the invoices to be digital certified ( a shit here ), so, if i have a bussiness, and its raining, or something happen, and there is no internet, i cant do invoices, and is a lost for me.

so i get 2 different lines from different ISP, one is cable, other is ADSL, so i dont have problems if one goes offline

• nerouxneroux Member

Why do you need a "load balancer" for this? If one goes down you simply switch the cables.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I got a mikrotik at some 50 eur+vat should be cheaper if you dont have gbit internet, the 100 mbps version should suffice.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@neroux said:
    Why do you need a "load balancer" for this? If one goes down you simply switch the cables.

If someone is around with the knowledge to do so.
    A router with two wan ports and some magical routing tables are all that is needed.

• nerouxneroux Member

MikHo said: If someone is around with the knowledge to do so. A router with two wan ports and some magical routing tables are all that is needed.

From a purely technical perspective for sure. But we are talking here about a home connection, not something that needs to be necessarily automated. In this case there is a good chance the OP does not even notice when a connection actually goes down (not something I'd advise).

• Get a mikrotik router like a RB2011 for it. Easy to configure.

Thanked by 2dedicados mpkossen
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited June 2014

neroux said: Why do you need a "load balancer" for this? If one goes down you simply switch the cables.

and if im not there?, i dont care to spend 60 dollars on something can help me with that, and do more things.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just curious, what is stopping you from simply setting a redundant/ second gateway on your pc/laptop/server instead of buying extra equipment?

• i need 2 network cards? or how?

1adsl router ----
    1cable router ----

if i have 8 computers, i think is better to have that load balancing router, instead configure each one.

• nerouxneroux Member

dedicados said: and if im not there?, i dont care to spend 60 dollars on something can help me with that, and do more things.

Fair enough but why would a failover be so important in your absence?

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited June 2014

As i tell you before, in home and business, we need to be online 24/7 because automatic invoice, here in Mexico called CFDI ( factura Electronica ), so if you dont have internet, you cant generate it.

internet is not that bad, can be 4 months 100% uptime, but then one day, isnt working, by any reason, so if i have already 2 lines, why not configure them to work together.

• nerouxneroux Member

dedicados said: As i tell you before, in home and business, we need to be online 24/7 because automatic invoice, here in Mexico called CFDI ( factura Electronica ), so if you dont have internet, you cant generate it.

And you are generating an invoice for what? Why does this have to happen in real-time? And it is generated without human interaction?

What if both connections are down? What if the connection goes down while generating it?

• Because the government said how has to be.

Invoice of sales, truck parts, etc...

if both connections are down, i should run, must be the end of the world, or there is not electricity on place :P

If its that important I would suggest a hardware firewall/router with two Wan ports and configure it accordingly.
    Or re-use old computer with 3 NIC and install software firewall/router.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • nerouxneroux Member

dedicados said: Because the government said how has to be.

Invoice of sales, truck parts, etc...

But considering you are doing this on a consumer connection I'd assume you receive such orders via email. And then you simply issue the invoice when you have a network connection. Doesnt have to be real-time.

dedicados said: if both connections are down, i should run, must be the end of the world, or there is not electricity on place :P

A good point, what if electricity goes out? What are the scenarios in these cases when for example both lines fail.

• Well, all invoices generated have date, time, and goes to our I R S to be verified and come back. in just 10-20 seconds, is a process we are doing since long time.

all orders are done in site, so i dont think 60 dollars for a Load Balancer is too much to pay, just that.

it takes like literally 30 seconds per pc to add a second gateway....

You put both routers on the same LAN and set a second gateway on each PC, I really don't get the problem?

Windows don't like second gateways :(

@MikHo said:
    Windows don't like second gateways :(

My version must be special then? :o