Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP Help

codycody Member

I'm in high school and want to learn php. I'm not sure where to start? What are these frameworks about - is php different per one? I think some major frameworks are lavrel, symphony2, cakephp and codeigniter. What is the difference between them and which one should I choose? I hear symphony is more business used - but lavrel seems to be the next big thing.

Does anyone have any useful websites to get started? Maybe with some walkthrough projects? I already have a good knowledge of html 5 and more, before anyone asks. Sorry if I come across as dumb, just interested to get started now that summer break has began. Thanks

Comments

• nerouxneroux Member

Before you start with any third party libraries or frameworks I'd recommend to get first familiar with PHP itself.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • Like Neroux already said, don't start with a framework. You can use http://codeacademy.com if you want to learn the basics for it. Besides that the best way to learn is just do thing and use google and http://www.phptherightway.com/

• If you are specially new to programming try out https://codebabes.com/
    it will teach you php without letting you get bored

• If you have never worked with PHP or any type of programming language, then I suggest learning those basics. Code Academy is good for getting the basics down. Look at people's code as well. Frameworks are just there to assist with, not do your job for you.

• MrXMrX Member

Playing with other people's code (messing around with phpBB and scripts from Hotscripts) and following tutorials here and there is how I went from not knowing PHP to being able to write PHP that does what I want it do, although a developer would probably weep if they ever saw my spaghetti code.

So if you follow a reputable tutorial or online class to learn proper ways of coding, and combine it with real-world applications of your code, you should be fine. Only working on theory or lessons/tutorials might get boring.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

After you have a basic grip you should learn object oriented programming, it will help keep your code tidy and understandable. That's quite important imo.

• nerouxneroux Member

@Infinity said:
    After you have a basic grip you should learn object oriented programming, it will help keep your code tidy and understandable. That's quite important imo.

OOP is definitely something that someone should fundamentally understand and be able to master. However it is not the only approach to tidy and understandable code. It is one of many aspects.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • One small piece of info, whenever you learn something, even if its small go ahead and practice it, google and research on that small thing.

You won't really be able to do anything if you're just sitting and watching tutorials.

• This is just my opinion of course. I find if I tried to learn something without a goal or purpose, I quickly lose interest or think I master the matter because the few tutorial I looked at no longer challenge me. My suggestion is to think of a project, be it a blog or a webapp, learn about common design pattern like Model–view–controller (MVC). Get yourself a framework with starter site package. Yii and Laravel comes to mind, and just inspect, learn and mimic the code then go from there.

• I recommend with laravel framework. because this the best frame work for this 2015. More number of people interested to learn about Laravel framework. Recently i studied this article about laravel framework how its contribute to Php read this http://www.freeprnow.com/pr/laravel-framework-how-its-features-contribute-into-php

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

For me, a good start for any new language was a book with basics, tutorials, and writing a lot, a lot of programs, from the simplest to most complicated to get proficiency.

Thanked by 1lucast
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Lynda.com is worth a try :)

Thanked by 1vpsGOD